There Is Nothing Left To Lose Review

9.6
 9.7
 9.4
There Is Nothing Left To Lose Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 03, 2004

Sound: After a blistering follow up to the debut album 'The Colour And The Shape' was a massive success, but after the loss of foos lead guitarist Pat Smear (also ex-Nirvana) it was up to Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins and Nate Mendel to do the third album as a three piece. And what an album! The opening riffs of songs like 'Stacked Actors' and 'Learn To Fly' were just as good as the spacey intro's to songs such as 'Breakout' and 'Aurora'. This album truly sounds fantastic. Start to finish, the sound tears throught the speakers, and you can only sit back and admire the talent of the three gentlemen. The third album from the Foo's completely contrasts with there hard rocking previous work. Out with hard, headbanging riffs, and cue the gentle sway of songs like 'Next Year', 'MIA' and 'Ain't It The Life', although once into the swing of it traks such as breakout and stacked actors could rock the socks off Mr. Grohl himself. Truly outstanding. // 10

Lyrics: Out of the three albums so far the lyrics on the tracks of there is nothing left to lose are by far the most meaningful, even if a little clichet and cheesy. And the singing itself is impeccible. To the slightly higher keys of 'Learn To Fly' to the furious screams of 'Breakout. One bad thing about lyrics on the record is there simply isn't enough screaming! Looking back at songs like 'Enough Space' and the closing bars of 'February Stars' from second album 'The Colour And The Shape' - there simply isn't enough screaming to satisfy the hard rocker, but for the slightly more sophisticated music fan the lyrics are enough to bring tears of joy to every listeners eyes. // 8

Overall Impression: What can I say that I haven't already? I wouldn't say this was the best work of the Foo Fighters so far, but outstanding all the same. Start to finish the cd has everything you could possibly want: riffs, screams, melodies and slow chorus' on 'Aurora' and 'Next Year.' This is every rockers dream. // 10

There Is Nothing Left To Lose Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 04, 2006

Sound: This album has a great mix of both loud and soft rock. You can see the trend in just the first six songs. Stacked Actors is the loudest, most aggressive song on the album. Then the songs get progressively softer after that, until you get to Auroura, the quietest and calmest song on the album. The rest of the songs are loud enough to be considered rock, but mellow at the same time. // 10

Lyrics: Learn to Fly has some of the greatest lyrics I have ever heard. It's because of that that it's my favorite song. There's also a rumor about the lyrics of Stacked Actors being an "I Hate You" message from Dave Grohl to Courtney Love. Not proven, but it makes sense. Most of the songs are very well written, with excellent lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: For the best Foos album, it's a toss up between this one, and The Colour and the Shape. I think TCATS is a bit better, but this one is not far behind. I'm gonna break the songs down: 01. Stacked Actors - again, it's a loud, balls-to-the-walls rocking song. It doesn't fit in with the other songs that well, but it's a good one none-the-less. 02. Breakout - cool, poppy song. A great riff, and Dave's scream of "Breakout" is pretty sweet. 03. Learn To Fly - simply the greatest song on the album, and possibly one of the greatest ever. Not much I can say other than, "Perfection." 04. Gimme Stitches - a pretty neat song. The sliding guitar riffs are cool, and it's very catchy. 05. Generator - I love the guitar effects on this song. The "Wah" is very cool. Poppy and catchy like Breakout, but much calmer. 06. Auroura - an excellent slow song. The echoey guitar riffs are amazing, and the vocals are great too. 07. Live-In Skin - good song. Not much to say about it. The guitars and lyrics match up pretty well. 08. Next Year - another great slower song. All the elements of the song are very weel done. 09. Headwires - this one is a bit different. The verse is quiet and calm, but the chorus is loud. A nice contrast. 10. Ain't It The Life - this one's cool, it's folky and could be played with an acoustic. I think it would be better that way. 11. MIA - this song kinda disappointed me. Most other Foo's albums end with a good song, but this one is a bit drab. So, yeah, I'd buy it if I were you. // 10

There Is Nothing Left To Lose Reviewed by: YouKnowYourRite, on october 27, 2003

Sound: This album has a main style of having a heavy-ish intro then going soft through the verses then pickin back-up again for the chorus... This works very well with Daves singing style and they compliment eachother well... This uses a wide array of styles from the soft acoustic touch (Next Year) to the Techno effect-heavy riffs (Generator) and all of these are pulled off extremely well. // 10

Lyrics: Dave Grohl was once regarded just the drummer in Nirvana and kurt was the song writer but when the Foo Fighters formed he proved himself as a very talented song-writer.. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very good album and better then 'The Color and the Shape' and 'One by One' but the original 'Foo Fighters' LP is there best yet.. it has skilled instrumentalists (lol) like Taylor who is a very skilled drummer as you can hear through-out the album... Stand-Out Tracks : Breakout Generator Next-year I recommend you buy this album ! // 8

There Is Nothing Left To Lose Reviewed by: HappyClam, on december 16, 2003

Sound: Great sound can be a bit patchy in places. The levels are about perfect with the vocals not to loud and guitars and drums and so on being around around about right. The songs are well written. // 10

Lyrics: Dave is a great singer without him I doubt the Foo Fighters wouldn't be as good as they are. Lyrics go well with the music but the lyrics are normaly a bit wierd but that also seems to make the songs what they are. // 8

Overall Impression: this is alot better than most artists I know of (I'm not gonna say any names because that would be mean). I think that stacked actors with its realy cool starter riff, Breakout with its good lyrics, learn to fly with its rather wierd video but is a well written song and genarator with its weird sounding intro riff are some of the best tracks. I think this albumn is grate buy ive played it hundreds of time and havnt got bored of it. If if this albumn was lost, stolen or broke then I would run up to my bedroom and cry for hours and then go round to the shops about 30 mins later to buy a new one. // 10

There Is Nothing Left To Lose Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 09, 2004

Sound: To say that this album was recorded in a basement, the sound is great. I love the way the guitars stand out in most of the songs, making you want to pick up a guitar and blast off a riff! See songs such as: Stacked Actors, Gimmie Stiches, Live-In Skin. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are class! It's great to hear how such softer lyrics fit into the heavy background and how on other songs Dave screams his head off E.G. Breakout. // 10

Overall Impression: The overall album sound is great, maby not the best foo album, but this was the album that turned me into a true foo fan. If you have never had a foo album, start with the colour and the shape first, then this. // 10

There Is Nothing Left To Lose Reviewed by: feesk8ordie, on january 31, 2005

Sound: I think the sound of this album is brilliant. The drums are big in a way that reminds me of Dave's drumming in Nirvana (such as the Scentless Apprentice drumming) and this works well. I think Dave is not only a talented guitarist but also has a great, powerful voice, that reveals a softer side in songs such as Aurora and Next Year. The bass is never brilliant and slightly muddy at times, however overall the sound of the album is very big and impressive. // 8

Lyrics: Dave is obviously a talented songwriter. There was evidence of this as early as 1990 when he wrote a song called Marigold for Nirvana. Not only was it a great song, I feel it ranks within Kurt's best efforts, and considering I feel Kurt Cobain was the most talented songwriter of the '90s possibly one of the most talented ever, the fact Dave Grohl's songs are up to the same standard shows how much respect I have for him not only as a musician but also a songwriter. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is incredible; absorbing, epic, angry, energetic, forceful, incredible, powerful and that's just the first song! This album I feel is one of the best rock album's of the last 10 years, simply because it rocks so hard with a great level of cryptic genious! It makes you want to grab a guitar and play-along, it makes you wanna sing along. It does everything a quality rock album should do. This is a top class quality rock album, with that little something extra. I would seriously recommend this album. It's incredible. However some songs do stand out to me. My favourite songs are probably Gimme Stitches, Next Year and MIA which is such a great album finisher. I feel that the first song (Stacked Actor's) and the last (MIA) perfectly envelope the album, in which you'll find hidden gems, well known anthems and simply good rock songs. Perhaps not a perfect album but closer than any other but the very best attempts. It is hard to imagine this not becoming one of your favourite albums. // 10

There Is Nothing Left To Lose Reviewed by: Frankenchrist, on april 25, 2005

Sound: Shear amazing, period. Everything has the perfect distortion on every single song. Stacked Actors has a very cool and very chunky thing going on there in the beging, and then goes in to a beutiful droned out destortion, pure genuis. Next Year, which was also used on the sitcom, ED, is the most beutiful song on the album, it's electric without any distirtion, even though its near perfect, I think it should've benn done acousticcly, but that doesn't take away from the quilaity of the song. Standout tracks are: Stacked Actors, Generator, Learn To Fly, Breakout, Next Year. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are the most inspiring lyrics I have ever heard. Most song are basicly a less drugged up, less depressed version of Kurt Cobain's writing style. Amazing. And it all goes perfecly with Dave Grohl's (former drummer of Nirvana) singing ability, his voice is beautiful and is most deffidently the best singer/songwriter in not only mordern rock music, but music in modern music. Standout tracks are: Next Year, Learn To Fly, Breakout. // 10

Overall Impression: It's one of the top 3 albums of the '90s, along with Nirvana and Pearl Jam. The best song on this album is either Breakout or Next Year. I love this album just because it speaks to me and anyone who listen to it. It's the soundtrack of my life, whenever I'm happy Next Years in my head, whenever I'm pissed off to the high-heavens it's Breakout. And if It where stolen, I would hunt down the person who stole it, beat him up, and duct-tape him to a chair and make him listen to a burnt CD with The Hampster Dance on it 1,000 times, it's that good! Buy it now! // 10

There Is Nothing Left To Lose Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 10, 2005

Sound: Well, this is a very varied record, it highlights a combination of different styles of songs, from the scream David lets out after the chorus of Stacked Actors, to the melow "I'll be comming home next year." What I think most about this record though is that this is the record where David lets out the melodic side of his songwriting. The best songs, in my opinion, are (in no order): Breakout, MIA, Learn To Fly, Stacked Actors and, of course, Next Year. As far as I could hear, the sound is excellent. // 10

Lyrics: Whether or not it's just me, when I hear this record I hear sarcasm, and you can tell that is part of understanding the meaning of alot of the songs. However, even without listening to the lyrics you can tell what the meaning of the song is, which is very important to me. The lyrics fit well with the music, but some of them dont make sense, but as I said before thats ok most of the time beacause you can tell the meaning. // 8

Overall Impression: What an awesome record! It is some of the most amazing music I have ever heard, pure genius, but it lacks some of the meaning that other bands like Nirvana (which is the only example I can think of) have, but I'm not saying it has no meaning, it is not as apparent, it is more descrete than Nirvana, but some people thing thats a good thing. I love the catchy riffs and vocals and the way it all fits in such a great way. What I hate about it is that it is not raw, it's been tampered with too much this is why other Foo Fighters records are silghtly harder to listen to but more satisfying, but if you want raw go for the first self titled record! I would definetly buy it again if it were lost or stolen. Overall an amazing record! // 10

There Is Nothing Left To Lose Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 12, 2005

Sound: This is the Foos' softest/popiest album. But don't let that turn you away from checking out this good CD. I found that this CD had good sound and production quality because it wasn't overproduced nor was it choppy and sounded like it was recorded in someones basement. So as far as modern rock goes, the Foos are top notch and all their albums are special in their own way with little or no filler. // 10

Lyrics: Good lyrics across the board. Dave is a great musician and his singing is great on this record. // 10

Overall Impression: If it were lost or stolen I would no doubt buy it again. My favorite songs are, Stacked Actors, Breakout, Generator, Aurora and Ain't It The Life (personal favorite). Even though the album is mostly soft and poppy rock all the way through they seem to incorporate a lot of cool styles that fit well with the rest of the typical Foos' songs. Check it out. You may like it alot and maybe even more than The Color And The Shape. You most likely won't be dissapointed if you are open-minded and are a fan of the Foos. // 10

There Is Nothing Left To Lose Reviewed by: elf+cheb, on november 11, 2005

Sound: Maybe the best rock band ever, I think so. The foo fighters, I have only just got into them really and I can say they are too awesome to be true, Dave Grohl has created an awesome band, and now I will tell you about my fav cd by them. This my kind of music, its really uplifting and makes you feel good to be alive. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics, Dave sure writes some lyrics, although not the best I have ever heard these are still very good and go with their music very well. I think this is very apparent in next year, my favourite song on the alubm, the lyrics I think just fit the song. Dave is a great singer, although not the best, but for what he is singing he is just right for it. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to other rock artists, the rest kinda suck compared to these. I am not putting bands like qotsa or NIN down I am just saying that I think these are the best at rock. The must hear songs are: Stacked Actors, Breakout, Learn To Fly, Generator, Next Year and MIA. I love everything about this album it is just great, I can listen to it again and again. if it were stolen, I would buy it again without thought, it's too good to be missed. I end by saying any self respecting rocker should pick this up, it's well worth it! // 10

There Is Nothing Left To Lose Reviewed by: aMeRiCaNsTrAt21, on january 05, 2006

Lyrics: Out of the three albums so far the lyrics on the tracks of there is nothing left to lose are by far the most meaningful, even if a little clichet and cheesy. And the singing itself is impeccible. To the slightly higher keys of 'Learn To Fly' to the furious screams of 'Breakout. One bad thing about lyrics on the record is there simply isn't enough screaming! Looking back at songs like 'Enough Space' and the closing bars of 'February Stars' from second album 'The Colour And The Shape', there simply isn't enough screaming to satisfy the hard rocker, but for the slightly more sophisticated music fan the lyrics are enough to bring tears of joy to every listeners eyes. // 9

More Foo Fighters reviews rating latest review