Wasting Light Review

foo fighters: Wasting Light
Released: Apr 12, 2011
Genre: Alternative rock
Label: RCA
Wasting Light is the Foo Fighter's 7th studio effort, and is a solid album. For the first time Foo Fighters are operating with a 3 guitar line-up with awesome results.
 Lyrics: 8.9
 9.2
 9.1
 9.3
Wasting Light Reviewed by: UG Team, on april 11, 2011

Sound: Wasting Light sounds like what you would expect from Foo Fighters, only more so. There is a lot of energy in this album and sounds like the interplay between the 3 guitars really creates some powerful riffs throughout. There is a touch of grunge in the sound of the album, but mainly it is straight forward hard rock with a dash of the indie sound. Wasting Light is full to the brim of hooks and killer riffs, but not in a bad way. Every track on this album comes across with a huge powerful chorus. The chord progressions used aren't necessarily ground breaking, but they are all very well suited to their individual tracks and cause me to tap my foot along to the track. Wasting Light was recording with analog equipment, literally in Dave Grohl's garage. The tape machines were placed in a garage closet and the control room was a small room above the garage. The analog recording methods definitely explain the warmth of the album, and the feeling that maybe the Foo Fighters are performing in the next room. For this album, analog recording was absolute genius. Guesting on the album was Krist Novoselic on the track I Should Have Known playing bass guitar and accordion, and Bob Mould of Husker Du fame also guested on the album. Wasting Light was produced by Butch Vig, who has shown over a long career the ability to get the best out of the bands he works with. Alan Moulder (prominent work with Smashing Pumpkins, NIN, Marilyn Manson and the Killers) took on the mixing of the album. The end result is commendable and I believe my favorite Foo Fighters album, but only time will tell for sure. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, Wasting Light is very solid. None of the lyrics come across like they are just filling space, but instead they all come across like honest lyrics with a message. On the track Back & Forth it opens with the lines Once upon a time I was somebody else/ in another life I saw myself/ way back then, back when I was new/ somewhere down the line I started to slip/ Years gone by, biting my lip which is a poignant look at coming to terms with finding ourselves as strangers in the mirror. On the track Arlandria the lines Ain't that the way it always starts/ a simple round of conversation/ became a shameful equation/ I flipped station to station/ Hey don't go and turn the other way/ don't say there's nothing more to...say really carry across the feeling of being inside the situation the lyrics are describing. The lyrics really put across the emotions behind them which is all you can ask for in a rock song. Also on Arlandria the lines Shame, shame go away/ come again some other day/ memories keep haunting me/ help me chase them all away really come across as powerful lyrics. The lyrics on Wasting Light often come across as a clever turn of phrase and are often delivered in a very catchy cadence. Dave Grohl really exudes his passion in the delivery of his lyrics, from almost whispered verses like from the track I Should Have Known or the raw screaming lyrics of White Limo. // 8

Overall Impression: I really felt like the energy of Wasting Light was infectious and found myself smiling several times while listening to the album. The Foo Fighters have come full circle back to the original sound that made them such a strong band, but came out stronger and more powerful with every song on the album being worthwhile. My favorite song on the album is probably a tie between Rope and Walk, but it was a hard decision to even narrow it down to 2 songs. There are 11 tracks on this album and every one is getting a semi-permanent home on my mp3 player. The intro to Bridge Burning builds up very nicely, and the vocals have a very intriguing cadence to them. White Limo is a super high energy track that gets my adrenaline pumping just listening to it. The track These Days almost feels like a conversation you, as the listener, are having with Dave Grohl. Emotion is conveyed very well on each song, and the interplay between the guitars several times comes across just on this side of chaos which, for me, makes the music of Wasting Light really sound alive. // 9

- Brandon East (c) 2011

Wasting Light Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 11, 2011

Sound: Foo Fighters return to our ears after a break to recharge, tour with their other bands, and get their mojo back for their new album. And we hope they do. 2007's Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace had some great moments, but seemed to go away as quietly as it came. Before that, In Your Honor had fans and critics alike wondering if they'd lost their edge. Their ability to fill a stadium was never in question, but are the stadiums full of people screaming for DOA or Everlong? So, the band decided to go back to basics for new effort Wasting Light. How many times have we heard that? How many times have a band said they feel they've really got in touch with the music this time around, only to disappoint loyal fans expecting a return to the glory days? Can I get an 'Oasis!' anyone? But it seems this time around Foo Fighters have actually gone back to basics for album number seven. Wasting Light was recorded in Dave Grohl's garage (ok, admittedly probably one of the best, most expensively assembled garages ever), and on a 24 track tape mixer, analog, not digital. No auto-tune, no dropping a correction in over a bum note or dropped stick. Just perfect take after perfect take required, how they did it in the old days. Not only that, but Butch 'Nevermind' Vig produced the album, Pat Smear's rejoined, and there was a guest appearance from Grohl's fellow surviving Nirvana legend Krist Novoselic. One thing was for certain leading up to release: If this album was going to suck, at least they gave it a bloody good go. Musically, apart from the nostalgia-inducing return of Pat Smear, not a lot has changed. The Foo Fighters style hasn't really altered either, but from the first note to the last, it feels like there is a greater intensity about the band. Taylor Hawkins is hitting the drums harder, Chris Shiflett and Nate Mendel are playing as well and as loose as they ever have, and Grohl is singing better and screaming like he did when he made the word 'free' mean something altogether more liberating on Monkey Wrench. There is a palpable reality to the sound, maybe it's coincidentally due to the lack of technology to fall back on, or maybe that was the plan all along. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, Dave Grohl has always been adept at constructing stories to weave over his music, and when, at the start of opening track Bridge Burning, he bellows "These are my famous last WOORRDS!!" he gets your attention. With songs like Back And Forth, Rope and A Matter Of Time, he shows he can still produce hooks and choruses that will stay in your head and on the radio. But as well as the radio friendly unit shifters, throughout the album there are moments of Grohl at his throat tearing best, interspersed with him at his most honest, desperate and vulnerable, the latter quite brilliantly and heart tuggingly illustrated on I Should have known. By the time Krist Novoselic is hammering out the overdriven, Been A Son-esque bass, Dave screams the line "Maybe you was right, didn't wanna fight I should have known/Couldn't read the signs, Couldn't see the light, I should have known", you feel Kurt Cobain is there to complete the most longed for of reunions. And it goes on with the refrain "Though I cannot forgive you yet, No I cannot forgive you yet", and you can reach out and touch the sheer desperation. Maybe it's just the presence of Novoselic and Butch Vig, but this is the most haunting, moving and emotional song that Foo Fighters have ever done. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall there isn't a track on this album I'd skip, whether it's the airplay able Back and Forth, Arlandria, These Days, and Rope, or the heavier classic Foos moments like Miss The Misery and Bridge Burning. The band sound revitalised, like a bunch of wide-eyed teenagers releasing their youthfully exuberant debut, and I haven't even mentioned White Limo yet, a bonafide Foo Fighters classic recalling the first album at it's distorted Weenie Beenie best. A real throwback to the days of 'Grunge Ringo' before he built the biggest rock band on the planet. It would have been due to some serious creative neglect, but there was a small risk that the Foos were going to continue to churn out good albums. Just good. No more of The Colour And The Shape or There Is Nothing Left To Lose. Enter Wasting Light, the best album Foo Fighters have produced in over a decade. If this were lost or stolen I'd buy it again, then lose it just to buy it once more. This time they have let rip, thrown the kitchen sink at it, given it absolutely everything. And not by spending millions on studios, assembling choirs and orchestral backing, but by getting the drummer from garbage in. // 10

Wasting Light Reviewed by: Eli4s, on april 11, 2011

Sound: The new album 'Wasting light' was recorded in Dave Grohl's garage. All analog. I really like the huge sound of all of these songs... And to get to the point: I like the album. I think it is a bit more poppy at times and some of the songs are really straight forward .. but I dont mind that. It kind of unites the style of some of the previous albums but still sounds pretty fresh on its own. Let's take a look at each song in detail. I'll start with the songs that I think are the best on the album: The best tracks for me are without a doubt 'Dear Rosemary', 'White limo', 'Arlandria' and 'These days'. These songs have either really nice melodies or rock out really good (White limo) and are just really accomplished tracks. Arlandria's lyrics are a bit ... "lame" here and there but it has such a good drive it is probably my favorite track along with 'these days' which could easily be a song from their third album. 'I should have known' is another good one. Krist Novoselic plays bass on that track! 'Walk' is not quite up there but a good track nontheless. 'walk' basically achieves that with good emotional content that I think really mean much to Grohl and the band. The riffs aren't that spectacular... And it reminded my of the "In your honor" stuff that I didn't enjoy so much but still think the song is a good finish for the record. "Back & Forth" has a catchy Chorus but seems to be quite forgetable ... and the prechorus sounds pretty off to me... The two songs that I dislike most and/or don't care for are 'Rope' (yes, the first single!) and 'Matter of time'. The chorus of rope and the interlude/solo section would make a decent song but I just really dislike the verses... The vocals in the verses in particular and how they interact with the quite interesting guitar riff. I just can't like a song just in parts ... 'Matter of time' is for me the weakest song on the album... I really don't like some parts and the rest is just not very special either... it also sounds like 'One by one' I think... probably my least favorite album of theirs... Miss the misery: This is kind of a disappointment. Why? Because when I listened to a live version of the song this was among my favorite tracks... And it is still good. But I really don't like the mix here that as I think really reduces its power. While in the live version we had very aggressive harsh guitar sound and also tight vocals the sound in the recording is a pretty muddy. I like that in the intro... But when the vocals kick in (that I think are too loud and eclipse the guitars too much into the background) especially in the prechorus. And also the vocals in the chorus should be tighter... Not that soft .. Bridge Burning: Don't get me wrong on this. This is a good song. But I think they have given away a chance for an absolute killer hard rock song. It had more potential. I respect their decision, it's their song so if this is what they wanted to do they fully succeeded. But still for myself this is one of the 2 "disappointments" on the record. It works and its good - I have to repeat that - but it is not the song that I expected and not the song that I wanted it to be and it is also not the song that the intro suggests. The intro is just so intense and kicks ass followed by a verse that I considered a big let down before I heard the record version but the guitar part is actually quite interesting and I could live with it IF ... afterwards the song would lead into a huge loud aggressive chorus again ... and that's where the song totally drifts away from what I was hoping for. The Prechorus ("whatever keeps you warm at night") and the Chorus ("the bridges are burning ..." are just way too soft and mellow and just NOT aggressive and intense. and I'm referring to the guitar part here but even more so the vocals! The "Gathering the ashes" part is absolutely fine! And there is this short part that goes "tell me what's in it for me... " this is great and should have been used more often or maybe as the prechorus followed by a harder chorus ... what do you think? // 8

Lyrics: I listened to the songs for the last two days but have not yet made thoughts about the lyrics a lot. Overall they did a good job again... Some of the more straight forward fun rock songs may not need very meaningful lyrics... Really like the lyrics for Walk. Really classic Foo song. Pretty uplifting as well just like 'These days'. For 'I should have known' there is already a debate for months if this is about Kurt Cobain... Honestly... I don't care if so or not... The lyrics that stand out for me in a negative way I can just think of is in my favorite song "Arlandria". Lines like 'Come now, take the blame, that's okay I play the game" and "shame, shame go away, come again some other day"... Not very well written I think. Sounds pretty cliche too... Tell me what you think... // 8

Overall Impression: Is this their best work? I don't think so... Is it it worth listening/buying? Absolutely. If I forget about the 'Miss the misery'- recording and accept 'Bridge burning' as it is this gives us 7 to 8 great to decent songs out of 11. This is right up there with their good stuff from the past... "The colour & the shape" still is their best album I think. To sum it up: Best tracks: Arlandria, These days, Dear Rosemary, White limo Other good tracks: I should have known, Walk Good with resevations: Bridge Burning, Miss the misery Forgetable/dislike: Back & Forth / Rope, Matter of time // 8

Wasting Light Reviewed by: Jnespinoza, on april 11, 2011

Sound: Famously becoming known as the album that rock giants recorded in a garage on old school analog equipment, "Wasting Light" is Foo Fighters first release in over three years. While the band retains much of the pop elements found in their later records, you can also hear the band getting back to the loud, grittiness their well known for. Hitting a perfect balance between clear and rough, "Wasting Light" is much more successful in offering up a wide variety of sound, especially when compared to the over-the-top division found on "In Your Honor" and the completely tame "Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace". While the songs themselves may not sound completely original, they do throw in a curve ball every now and then and surprise you with something that turns a good song into a memorable one. This album is full of those. // 9

Lyrics: When he started Foo Fighters, Dave Grohl was fresh out of his tenure with Nirvana. Lyrics to many early pieces were very angst-ridden and fueled by cynicism. Beginning with "The Colour and the Shape", songs took a turn to a more rebellious side, Grohl no longer content to living in a shadow. With each subsequent album, Grohl's writing has matured as he's grown into an adult. Themes of regret, loss, hope, mortality, and rebellion (now in a new light) fill the tracks. While some of the lyrics stumble on each other at times and noticeably feel like useless filler, the greater number of lines that do resonate well feel all the more powerful and contain some of the best writing Grohl's done since "Everlong" and "February Stars". // 8

Overall Impression: Most Foo Fighters albums, with the exception of "The Colour and the Shape", filled with hits and misses. Their bad songs normally aren't so bad compared to other bands out there, but then again there have been some that truly sucked. "Wasting Light" is no different; there are a few tracks most people can do without. But for any fan who has been calling out for the true Foo Fighters to return in all their glory, our time has come. "Wasting Light" is the best record the Foo Fighters have released since the band-defining second album. And in some ways, its even better, serving as the definition to what Foo Fighters are to become. // 10

Wasting Light Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 19, 2011

Sound: Yes, this album was recorded in Dave Grohl's garage. Don't be wavered by this though! The album still sounds fine. There was not much room for the Foo Fighters to mature but they found some way to do it on this album. I found this album quite different from other Foo Fighters' albums and even from other bands albums. One thing I noted while listening was their unique chords on this album. My impression of the sound was I thought it to be very spot on as in like the Foo Fighter's knew exactly what they wanted it to sound like so each song would be a catchy anthem that gets stuck in your head all day. One draw back on the sound is infact the unique chords. I found this a minor draw back because you wouldn't be used to the chord therefore making them brand new and maybe not as welcoming to others as they were to me. // 9

Lyrics: I found the lyrics on this album very suiting to the songs. These lyrics get stuck in your head all day... if you can tell what they say (e.g. White Limo). I found these lyrics smartly written they were perfect to tell the story they were intended to. On the other hand I didn't like that this album did NOT have a lyric book with the book was mainy used to keep the pieces of the master track safe and to show you various pictures of the Foo Fighters. // 8

Overall Impression: I found this album very easy to sing along to. These songs easily got stuck in my head and I found myself listening to this album about 2 times a day to feed my hunger for the music. This album has viturally no draw-backs to it. I found very many songs had the same layout though, the songs would go, Intro, Verse, Pre-chorus, Chorus, Verse, Pre-chorus, Chorus, Bridge, Chorus. It's not all that bad but it is noticable since all the songs are like that. I would go out and buy this album again if it ever got broken. This album is worth the money for sure. // 9

Wasting Light Reviewed by: JMan513, on april 13, 2011

Sound: This is Foo Fighters latest album, following Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace. It was recorded using no modern computer equipment and all in Dave Grohl's garage. The whole album sounds amazing and has a few guest artists! These include Bob Mould doing backing vocals on "Dear Rosemary" and Krist Novoselic playing bass guitar and accordion on the song "I Should Have Known". Along with that the album marks the return of former member, Pat Smear as a full time official member. The album is filled with a sense of Rock and even on one song, "I Should Have Known" a little bit of the Blues. Throughout most of the album the song are filled with distorted guitars and hard hitting drums. // 9

Lyrics: The Lyrics throughout the album go perfect with every song. Dave Grohl is probably singing at the best he ever has and sounds great. Every song he sings fits with the guitar, bass, and drum parts, and also set a mood for every song, that lasts throughout that one song, and then sets another mood for the one directly after it. // 10

Overall Impression: This album blows almost every other hard rock album I've listened to completely out of the way. It blows past even past Foo Fighter albums and sounds similar to them but at the same time almost completely different. Probably the best songs on this album, the ones I listen to the most, are "I Should Have Known", "Bridge Burning", "Dear Rosemary", and "Miss the Misery". There is sadly only one problem I have with this album, and that is the song "White Limo", which is a good song, but for some reason I just don't like the sound of it, so its not even necessarily a bad thing (depends on who you are). Well seeing as this is one of the CDs that I decided to actually get a physical copy for, if it was stolen I would definitely go back down to Target and pay another 10 dollars to get the CD again. // 8

Wasting Light Reviewed by: SamLambeth, on april 15, 2011

Sound: Dave Grohl knows when he needs a rethink. Foo Fighters had recently entered a phase that could be known as "Autodave" commercially pleasing songs with generic choruses, solos, the lot. For all the enjoyment out of songs such as "No Way Back", "Long Road To Ruin" and "Wheels", there was nothing special or ground-breaking about them, and it certainly wasn't a patch on the band's late 90s output. Thus, "Wasting Light" sees Grohl banish "sleepy ballads" and make a record that's "f--king nasty". With Butch Vig behind the knobs, and Grohl recording the album in his garage with all analogue equipment, "Wasting Light" could be seen as a return to the band's homegrown, lo-fi roots, and it certainly does wear that aesthetic rather proudly. "Rope", the lead single, isn't nearly as accessible as "Best Of You", but still packs a mighty punch, particularly with Pat Smear now reassembled into the pack. The presence of Husker Du/Sugar legend Bob Mould a man for whom Grohl owes a sizeable debt on the rollicking "Dear Rosemary" is as surprising as it is thrilling. // 8

Lyrics: If the return of Vig wasn't enough to wake the Nirvana faithful, Kirst Novoselic's maudlin accordion haunts "I Should Have Known", one of the band's more naked, emotive songs, Grohl's vocals treated in the same way as The Black Keys. It has a certain bluesy stomp, but Grohl's confessional lyrics are added gravitas with the return of the three men behind "Nevermind" dominating the track. "These Days" is the potential second single, and even though the chorus is a chord rehash to the verses of "Times Like These", it's one of Grohl's finest outings, with shimmering verses. "One of these days, the clocks will stop and time won't mean a thing" is one of Grohl's best lyrics, whilst "I should have known I was inside of you" comes across as a haunting tribute to a good friend of Grohl's, who passed away last year. The lyrics deal with luck, good situations, how Grohl got where he did today, and what might have happened if he didn't. There's a lot of emotion on display. // 8

Overall Impression: There are clunky moments as Grohl desperately tries to re-connect to the mid-nineties, particularly "White Limo"'s vocal pastiche of "Weenie Beenie", but this is mere proof Grohl isn't just churning these ones out. As closer "Walk" echoes around the arenas, "Wasting Light" offers songs that don't have the emptiness of one. ESSENTIAL TRACKS: These Days Dear Rosemary I Should Have Known // 8

Wasting Light Reviewed by: Rocker9514, on may 20, 2011

Sound: I have been a fan of the Foo Fighters for a while now and this is one of their best albums yet. Foo Fighters were formed by Dave Grohl ex-drummer for Nirvana. Dave is the lead singer and rhythm guitarist for the Foo Fighters and does an amazing job. This album is heavy compared to what they usually do but it's still amazing. I was quite surprised when I heard that the album was recorded in Grohl's garage because of it's great sound that some bands can't even achieve on a high-cost professional studio. The riffs are great and the bass on the song "I Should Have Known" is awesome. // 9

Lyrics: The albums's lyrics are deep and very well written. The choruses and verses are very good. Some of the album's lyrics show how much work and attention. The Foo Fighters put into them and how well that extra care paid off. Grohl's singing is what gives them the magic touch and shows originality. Dave Grohl's singing can make the songs so deep and soothing you go to the verge of tears on some songs and get pumped up in others. // 10

Overall Impression: The album is their heaviest album yet. The album is original, the lyrics are amzing, the sound is great and what is amazing is that it was made on Dave Grohl's garage. The best songs out of the 11 the album contains are "I Should Have Known", "Dear Rosemary", "These Days", and "Walk". But still all the song are good and the best songs are always gonna differ according to the listener's personal preferences. In general this is one of the most original and best albums of the year. // 10

Wasting Light Reviewed by: Benjamin2112, on october 18, 2011

Sound: The Foo Fighters is easily one of my most favorite bands out of all the music I listen to. Their distinctive melodies and rocking riffs and drums are undeniably recognizable and well done that make them a standout rock band from the '90s. This seventh studio outing "Wasting Light" is a great album recorded in 2010 and released on April, 12 2011. Also this album marks Pat Smear coming back into the fold as an actual member again, instead of just being a live member (as he was from 2006-2009). This album doesn't really give any new sounds to the Foos' other work but definitely rocks as much or more than any of their other albums. Track Listing: 01. Bridge Burning 02. Rope 03. Dear Rosemary 04. White Limo 05. Arlandria 06. These Days 07. Back & Forth 08. A Matter Of Time 09. Miss The Misery 10. I Should Have Known 11. Walk Members: Dave Grohl - lead vocals, guitar Nate Mendel - bass Chris Shiflett - guitar, backing vocals Pat Smear - guitar Taylor Hawkins - drums, percussion, backing vocals // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album are f*cking great! Dave never disappoints on this album, it harkens back to the band's first album-esque lyrics about anger issues, growing older, and personal subjects. The lyrics mesh very well with its supporting music, making it a great listen. Dave Grohl has impeccable singing skills and rocks each track every time you hear it. The emotion in his voice is outstanding on this record, like most other things he records. // 10

Overall Impression: This certainly (in my perspective) is the best Foo Fighters album there is. Song after Song does not disappoint (except "Rope" not a huge fan of that song). The most impressive songs are "Bridge Burning", "Dear Rosemary", "White Limo", "Arlandria", "These Days", "Back & Forth", "A Matter Of Time", "I Should Have Known" and "Walk". I love almost everything about it, the guitars are very rocking with 3 guitars played on the album, each with different chords, solos, or guitar lines placed in perfectly with ease. The bass is rock solid with a very smooth feel to it. The drums are very excellently done as well with very intriguing fast passages and beats making it more interesting as well. If this album was lost or stolen I would rush out to buy it again, I wouldn't even think of trying to get another record to replace it. // 10

Wasting Light Reviewed by: TheChunklunk, on october 26, 2011

Sound: When this album came out, I wasn't what to expect. With the last album been a mixed bag of acoustic/alternative rock (I enjoyed it though), I wasn't sure what they were going to do. However, when Dave said this was going to be a full on rock album, my expectations rose greatly. The sound of this album is fantastic. The guitars sound fat and chunky yet smooth and clean when they have to be. There are some sleek bass lines to be heard and Taylor's drumming shows us the reason why we fell in love with him in the first place. The record maintains a hard rock sound all the way through, even on the more tone down sounds like "These Days" and "I Should Have Known". Butch Vig has done an incredible job with this album. // 10

Lyrics: Dave's vocal skills are still as good as ever, even with him aging. He can still provide those awesome screams you will all know and love, which can be heard on the track "White Limo". Dave's get across his emotions on all of the songs, especially "Arlandria" and "I Should Have Known". The lyrics are some of the best work the Foo's have written since "There Is Nothing Left To Lose". Although they can be a bit repetitive at times, this doesn't really bother you due to how catchy it is. I love all the lyrics for every song on this album. // 10

Overall Impression: This is hands down the best release since "The Colour And The Shape". I love all of the Foo's albums, but this is now my favourite. I have nothing bad really to say about this album. I enjoyed it all the way through, and I've literally been listening to songs off it everyday since release. If this was lost or stole from my collection, I would go to buy it straight away. I love every song it but for me the highlights are: "Arlandria" "Rope" "Miss The Misery" "Walk" "Dear Rosemary" "These Days" If you are a fan of Alternative Rock, this is must have for your collection. // 10

More Foo Fighters reviews rating latest review