Cross Your Fingers Review

Label: Fearless Records
 7.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Cross Your Fingers Reviewed by: ninjagayden777, on april 27, 2011

Sound: A Day To Remember: please surrender your metalcore/pop core crown. As bold a claim as that is, they have finally (in my eyes) met their match in the genre. For All Those Sleeping take the breakdown injected pop formula ADTR made famous and spice it up with their own special additions. Guitar-wise, this album is great, given the genre they belong to. The sound isn't too dominating, and not as dependant on breakdowns as the afformentioned band, but it also isn't breaking any barriers, sticking mainly to tried and true sounds (octaves, bar chords, etc.) The drums are smooth and help keep the pace in their songs, and the bass is, well, bass. It does it's job, but not much more. The thing that gets me most with this album is how different some of the songs can be from one another. I Hate To See You Go is a straight up pop song with sparce screaming, while I'm Not Dead Yet's breakdown is the kind of mosh fest that you know MUST be fun live. While sticking mainly to pop-ish sounds a'la Forever The Sickest Kids or Mayday Parade, the heavier parts are akin to pepper: sprinkled to make a more flavorful product, but not overdone to avoid ruining what is already good. // 7

Lyrics: Vocally...wow. For All Those Sleeping have THREE vocalists, and they make damn good use of them. The frontman does most of the mid-range singing and fry-screams (which are beastly high), the rhythm guitarist does bellows, and the bassist handles the higher vocal lines, such as in the choruses. The singers have almost castrado highs, which when put against the bellows and low screams presents a chaotic, but well presented soundscape. The lyrics to their intended job here, and that's get stuck in your head. The hooks are great, and when combined with passionate delivery and intriguing lines (by punk pop standards) the songs can truly shine. Case proven with the song I Hate To See You Go. The chorus is infectious as an airborn toxen, and the line just refuses to leave my head peacefully. "I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave, I'm bad news, baby. The truth is that I don't know, so I'll say this has nothing to do with you, everything to do with me." The contradicting statements show a sincerety and pain that is easy to relate to, no matter the listener. // 8

Overall Impression: For All Those Sleeping are a contender for kings of their genre, showing promise for more creative, adventurous works in the future. While some label them as generic (and I won't lie, sometimes it comes of as just that), they have enough originality to keep things fresh and interesting. Definately a recommendation for pop-punk fans. For fans of: A Day To Remember, Close To Home, infectious hooks, and, of course, BREAKDOWNS. // 6

More For All Those Sleeping reviews rating latest review