Outspoken Review

for all those sleeping: Outspoken
Released: Jun 19, 2012
Genre: Metalcore, Post-Hardcore, Pop Punk
Label: Fearless
The album showcases a much heavier metalcore sound with more prominent usage of unclean vocals and limited use of pop punk style choruses which were featured regularly on their debut.
 8.3
 5.7
review (1) 14 comments vote for this album:
Outspoken Reviewed by: ckleber, on august 08, 2012

Sound: Before I begin this review I would like to state that this is my first review, so lets not troll too hard? With that out of the way, let the reviewing begin! This CD is a big change from For All Those Sleeping's first CD. Some bands go through a "sophomore slump", these guys definitely did not and its apparent throughout this entire album. The guitars went from being in Drop D to Drop B so that changes the tone of the overall sound. The lyrical content got much more angry, which also causes the music to get heavier in more than one sense. I enjoy it when bands get heavier over their CD's and that wasn't a disappointment with this album at all. I think "Outspoken" has all the components to be the Metalcore album of the year. It's heavy, got great vocal deliverance, the guitars aren't COMPLETE chugging like most bands out there today (but there's plenty of chugging), and the lyrical content isn't groundbreaking (But when is it in Metalcore?) but it fuels the instruments, which includes the screams and singing. I think this is my new favorite CD. There's not one bad thing I think I could say about this CD. There's a couple uses of dubstep in this album, only one main use you can obviously hear in track 6, "Turn Of The Century". And the CD starts out with what I would make out as FATS attempt at a fun intro. It's only 48 seconds but instantly throws you into what the album's style and sound will be like. // 9

Lyrics: As I stated before, the lyrics aren't groundbreaking by any means. But instead of being more happy lyrics, these guys came back and sounded pissed and it definitely shows with these lyrics. I can't be 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure getting cheated on was the reason behind these lyrics. The first song starts of with a guy introducing For All Those Sleeping and then the drums kick in (no pun intended) and you get a low, almost growl coming at you saying "Step up or shut the F*ck up!" Almost all of the lyrics are about how he will never let this happen again, how angry he is, and how he will get his revenge in one way or another. I think the start of track 3, "Mark My Words" is probably the best way to start a song "YOU'RE F*CKED NOW!" Track 6, "Turn Of The Century" easily shows the angry lyrics we all love in metalcore "You picked the wrong guy to F*CK WITH!" and "ADMIT THAT YOU WERE ALWAYS WRONG!" Having me just include those doesn't seem so angry but if you listen, you can obviously tell. I also think that track 5 is the best song lyrically, if not overall. It's just about the only positive track on this album "I don't wanna the voice of a generation, I just wanna be a voice for you" and "follow my voice and let me carry you away" and they do more of the ever popular group shout "Alone we may be lost, but together we stand tall". In all music it seems that the worst situations in life produce the best music. I would say this CD in its entirety is a great example of that. The vocal delivery in this album is better than the first album by far, but that's my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own opinions. The Lows got WAY lower compared to "Cross Your Fingers" and the highs seem to be the same but in some songs they seem better, it's sort of hard to tell for me. And the singing is the same but I think the delivery makes the singing sound better. // 7

Overall Impression: With all that's been said, I really do believe this is the best Metalcore album of the year. The band got much heavier lyrically and tuning wise. I am trying to think of what I could compare this album to and I can't come up with anything at the moment. It's a great album, definitely worth the money you spend on it. It's really hard to say what my favorite tracks on this album are because I like every song a lot. But if I had to recommend a couple songs I would say "Mark My Words", "Follow My Voice", "Turn Of The Century", and "One Kiss". But every track is great. I love just about everything about this album. If, like me, you're a sucker for bands getting heavier, you'll love this album. If you wanted this album to be more like the first, you might be in for a disappointment. I honestly don't think there's one thing I hate or even dislike about this album. If this album were lost or stolen I would obviously go out and buy another copy, maybe even two just to be safe. Go out and buy "Outspoken" because it's a great album from start to finish. // 9

More For All Those Sleeping reviews rating latest review