Changes Review

For The Fallen Dreams: Changes
Release Date: Jan 8, 2008
Label: Rise
Genres: Metalcore
Changes seems like quite a strange proposition on paper, reflective songwriting focused on higher wisdom set to brutal down-tuned thrash.
 7.8
 8.3
 7.3
review (1) 17 comments vote for this album:
Changes Reviewed by: Zao_89, on march 24, 2008

Sound: One of my favourite genres lately is that melodic, breakdown laden metalcore (Misery Signals, It Prevails). FTFD fits in to that category. Drop A# chugging breakdowns with melodic guitar lines is the best way to describe this band. Some of the parts seem simple, but become more complex when you try to figure out how they're played (e.g. the opening lick from Hopeless). Track by track breakdown: 01. Brothers In Arms - is that one track thats a fan favourite. The beggining is just asking for a pile-on scream-along. 02. New Beginnings - just an average song. 03. Hopeless - one of my favourites. "This is all on you!" The end breakdown has what most breakdowns lack - a time signature other than 4/4. The 6/8 time signature fives you somewhat of a "swing" feeling. 04. Last Dying Breath - I love the ending. I'm really suprised they didnt play this song live when I saw them. 05. This World Around Us - short track that would have been better placed as album opener. 06. Never Again - that one song every band has about moving on. The lyrics seem to be about getting past someone (girlfriend?) 07. Changes - just an instrumental. This song and Through The Looking Glass probably have the best drumwork out of the whole album. 08. Vengeance - there are people who like to compare metalcore bands to nu-metal. This song doesnt help prove them wrong. Nonetheless, this is the most aggresive and heaviest song on the album. 09. Falling Down - same as track 2, average. 10. Through The Looking Glass - the longest track on the CD. The ending to the song includes a change of pace. String parts are slowly fused into the song while the guitars start to get softer. At the very end, all that is left is a military style snare beat with a low string melody (cell + bass?). For fans of: It Prevails, Misery Signals, The Acacia Strain, Emmure, As I Lay Dying, Bury Your Dead. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't anything special. I've heard better, but I've also heard worse. The vocals are pretty generic. They alternate between screams and gang vocals, but that's as much variation as you're going to get. If you're looking for something new, this probably isn't for you. // 6

Overall Impression: The production on this album is a lot better than their last release, which included earlier versions of This World Around Us, New Beginnings and Last Dying Breath. The vocals have also greatly improved from the previous demo. They are a lot more clearer and understandable. I think it would have been better if they re-recorded Divine and Look Alive and took out Changes. // 9

More For The Fallen Dreams reviews rating latest review