Relentless Review

For The Fallen Dreams: Relentless
Released: Jul 21, 2009
Genre: Alternative Metal, Heavy Metal
Label: Rise Records
Relentless is a good title for this disc, as it finds this Michigan-based band plugging away with little or no change from their 2007 debut, Changes.
 7.8
 8.3
 7.2
review (1) 12 comments vote for this album:
Relentless Reviewed by: TBaby53, on june 08, 2010

Sound: For The Fallen Dreams returns with their new title "Relentless", and it definately takes an adjective role in describing this album's sound. The wall of flaming dropped guitar tones scorches your ears with very explosive palm-muting, while the band's extremely talented drummer roars up a fast paced hardcore-style rhythm and the brand new vocalist chills you with emotionally charged lyrics and powerful growls. Every other few measures the aggression lets off and a heartful melody pierces you with some quite nicely placed and extinguished post-hardcore riffs. I am very pleased with how this album was created. I was very fond of "Changes", which made me immediately pick up this CD. My favorite song would have to be "Nightmares". Jeremy McKinnon, vocalist from "A Day To Remember" appears in this song with his amazing singing during the song breaks. The song is fairly emotional, but at the same time extremely heavy. The guitars are quite intricate, but the only thing that takes away from it is the "chugga-chugga" throughout the song. Besides that the melodies and riffs are well written. The drumming... Good lord, just imagine guitars alone. This guy takes every riff thrown at him at makes a napalm of flaming percussion to take the riff to the 'Extra Level'. Very unique band. Give em a listen. (Also... "In Sincerity" is rather beautiful to listen to) // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very intimate, and touch the emotional side of writing. This is not a bad thing. At all. I grow tired of lyrics that broach the monosity of hardcore/death metal motifs of killing, societal corrosion, sluts, diabolical schemes, etc. etc. The lyrics are very well placed and I sense a sort of collectiveness with the guitars and vocalist, as the lyrics are extremely fine tuned with the chugs and bends... (It also may be that the vocalist is down right awesome) The song "Nightmares" has a killer line, "I wont let this go, for some things you will never know", which is brutally growled during the breakdown. It just sends the message of the song soaring to the top and is what makes this song really peak. Overall, the lyrics seem to surround the theme of relationships, hardship through distance with loved ones and aggression towards ignorance and stupidity of those who do not perceive reality as it should be... Which adds to the Hardcore effect. I absolutely love this vocalist's ability to pour his heart out onto paper and channel his aggressive style vocals to patch the music properly. // 9

Overall Impression: For the Fallen Dreams' counter-part, musically, would have to be "The Ghost Inside", though For the Fallen Dreams has a more grim sound during breakdowns and a follow-up of post-hardcore Misery Signal-esque melodic breaks and unique two-step beats, they can both be crossed and not know which is which at some points... But, in my opinion, For the Fallen Dreams takes the top and crushes everybody elses fingers on the edge. In the end, this band is fairly different and unique, if you've not listened to this album throughout, do yourself a favor and experience the whirling musical intensity of "Relentless". Whether you've stolen it or just listened to it through YouTube... Props. // 8

More For The Fallen Dreams reviews rating latest review