Portraits Review

For Today: Portraits
Released: Jun 9, 2009
Genre: Christian Metalcore
Label: Facedown Records
This album kicks all other metalcore christian out the window... The breakdowns, brutal, the guitar solos, amazing.
 9.4
 9.7
 9.1
review (1) 28 comments vote for this album:
Portraits Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 07, 2009

Sound: As an avid follower of For Today, and their record label, Facedown Records, I expected great things from the time I heard of the album. But little did I know that I would be continuously pummeled by soring guitar riffs, brutal breakdowns, and some of the most talent in the christian metal market today. Beginning with the sheer brutality and truth of the intro track Immanuel (The Challenger) and ending with the melodic, worshipfull feel of Talmidim (The Servants), this album has honeslty impacted me as a musician. // 9

Lyrics: When you buy a hard copy of this album, the lyrics book has not only the lyrics, but an explanation of the song and song title. Each track name is chosen because that person made a very significant thing happen in the Bible. And these guys are "not ashamed" (from the first song, Saul Of Tarsus) of what they believe. The positive messages are not only about how to grow as a christian, but they show us how to love each other, through the power of Christ. The lyrics are all positive, and speak much truth about the power of Christ. // 10

Overall Impression: So, this album kicks all other metalcore christian out the window... The breakdowns, brutal, the guitar solos, amazing. And the vocals compliment the overall style of the band very well. If I lost this album, I would definetly buy it again. A few songs that stand out from all the others are Immanuel (The Redeemer) Benedictus (Song of Zechariah) and Ezekiel (The Vidionary) All these tracks portray the talent that these men have, and they continue to impress me everytime I listen to it, because they hide stuff in the music. I encourage you all to check this album out and see what For Today will teach you each time you listen to it. // 10

More For Today reviews rating latest review