Dog Problems Review

format: Dog Problems
Release Date: Jul 11, 2006
Label: The Vanity Label
Genres: Indie Pop, op Underground, Indie Rock
The Format skirts cheesiness and cliche trappings by simply knowing how to make likable pop music that is entertaining and smart, and they've absolutely never sounded better.
 9.9
 9.7
Dog Problems Reviewed by: Tomamo5, on july 07, 2007

Sound: The first song I heard from this album was 'She Doesn't Get It' and when I first heard it, I was like wow, this was an awesome band. So I decided to get the album. When I listened to it I was like wow! This is one of the best albums I've heard in ages. There's something about this bands charisma that I just love and each song is so different to each other it, in style, and sound that I can't really give it a specific genre as they change so much. This album was realeased on there own record label, 'Vanity Label', because they were dropped by their last label. I advise everyone to listen to this album as I foresee they will be big. It has a very happy summery sound to it so it's a good cheering up song. I've never done this before but I'm rating this a 10. // 10

Lyrics: I'm impressed by the lyrics. Very. I'm not great with lyrics but when I had a closer listen they were brilliant. It's great in some songs how they fit quite sad lyrics into such an upbeat and happy song and vice versa. Nate Ruess is a brilliant singer and has an amazing vocal range, not to mention the tone of his voice. It's brilliant. // 9

Overall Impression: I can't really compare this album to anything else, cause it is pretty unique. I reccommend 'She Doesn't Get It' or 'Oceans' if you're listening for the first time, but they all are good and you might get into others more than, others, people have different tastes. This being their second full released album, they really have pretty much perfected it, and I haven't spotted anything that I don't really like so that's brilliant. If this was stolen or lost, I would definitely buy it again and again and again. Great band. // 10

Dog Problems Reviewed by: ShaunC7789, on october 26, 2007

Sound: The Format originating out of Peoria Arizona have now released there second full length album "Dog Problems" on there own independant label, which proves to be another fantastic album from the band regardless of label support. There sound on this album may be seen as a more 'poppy' attempt but it still stays true to the roots of the band. The album manages to bring new elements to the band aswell as keeping the original sound consistant throughout the album. // 10

Lyrics: All of the tracks on "Dog Problems" are lyrically and musically fantastic, bringing a wider range of instrumentation than previous albums has helped to bring songs to life and give them greater depth in harmony and structure. The albums flow is near to perfect and well thought out, starting on a slow with "Matches" and "I'm Actual" and then leading into the keyboard driven hook of "Time bomb". The album then ending on the climax of "If work Permits" which will leave it's lyrical genious ringing in your ears. One track which may be familiar to Format fans is "Snails" taken from the snails ep, but don't be too quick to judge on the formats economy of material the song has been reinvented and aranged in a different and interesting way so the song will seem as fresh and spanking new as all the other tracks. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall "Dog Problems" manages to deliver everything and more you would expect from a Format album it has all the genious from Sam Means and Nate Reuss that have been consistant throughout other albums and ep's. It also manages to reinvent the sound of The Format by bringing new elements to the table but at the same time keeping things consistant from other albums and ep's that made The Format who they are. It is definately a must listen for anyone interested in the rock/pop genre and a fine peice of music on the whole. // 10

Comments