Torches Review

8.3
 9.6
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Torches Reviewed by: SheKILaDZE, on february 06, 2012

Sound: Foster The People, with their highly successful debut album "Torches", have got me dancing my pants off in the bedroom. The melodies are irresistible, fun, and at times emotional. The songs feature nice heavy drum beats, strange sound effects, a few crazy evil laughs here and there, and are often held together with an underpinning piano sound. The trio that is Foster The People came together in 2009 in LA. Electronic influences are heavy, but by no means does this album fit into any electronic genre. The whole thing is reminiscent of 80s pop music but at the same time it has a very modern feel to it and an edge that pulls it far away from mainstream pop. In my opinion "Torches" can be, and is enjoyed by a very diverse audience. // 9

Lyrics: The album seems to be held together by certain thematic ties as the lyrics tend to resurface from song to song. For the most part they deal with issues of everyday life; feeling trapped, trying to make it in the world, not giving a poop about what other people think and so forth. Some songs are full of social commentary, others are straight-up about sappy old love. The lyrics are often incoherent and rushed, but that is part of the appeal. Sometimes they are sung in a high prepubescent girly pitch, sometimes much lower. But without a doubt Mark Foster has his own style executed superbly with an unique, captivating voice. I'm sure, however, that many will consider his singing to be somewhat whiny. If it works for you fantastic, and if it doesn't just move on. // 8

Overall Impression: The band has been compared to MGMT, and although the two bands are very different from each other, it would be somewhat fair to lump them together for categorization purposes. The energy and youthfulness is certainly present in both bands and they both make good use of electronic elements. "Torches" is a great album and its 44 minute runtime (including the bonus track) is entertaining from the first moment to the last. For introductory listening, I'd suggest the two songs that stand out the most and make a strong first impression: "Houdini" and "Call It What You Want". Other tracks are by far less conspicuous yet equally enjoyable as part of acquired taste for this band. I must warn you, however, that listeners hoping for immediate satisfaction may be somewhat disappointed with the album as a whole after listening to the two abovementioned tracks. Would I recommend that you take a listen to this band? Hell yeah. Foster The People is a great, big, juicy fish in this ever deepening ocean of musical bullpoo. // 8

More Foster The People reviews rating latest review