In Some Way, Shape Or Form Review

four year strong: In Some Way, Shape Or Form
Released: Nov 8, 2011
Genre: Pop Punk, Melodic Hardcore, Alternative Rock
Label: Decaydance, Universal Motown
This album differs greatly from band's last two studio albums. Comparing to albums past it is by no means my favorite or a masterpiece, but it is great.
 7.4
 8.3
 6.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
In Some Way, Shape Or Form Reviewed by: skatelover_911, on april 06, 2012

Sound: This is probably going to be very biased being that they are my favorite band but this album differs greatly from their last two studio albums; a lot more guitar and vocal work with a lot less on the drums which is huge downfall to me personally but they have totally changed their sound. If you have heard the last two albums; "Rise Or Die Trying" and "Enemy Of The World"; I will say that it is a lot more on the "hard rock" side rather than the hardcore/punk style of their past. Though it is different it is still pretty damn good and also from interviews with the band, they really needed to do something different and they did exactly that. // 7

Lyrics: Dan and Allen always write good lyrics; simple as that. They write from the heart, about things that have happened in their past or things that actually portray a feeling which I love. Four Year Strong have always had crazy singer/songwriter style about them and when I saw them live have and amazing ability to play and sing complimenting each other. This album I feel they stepped away from that and the lyrics did flow with the music much easier. Allen in my opinion has grown also. His voice in the first two albums was... Well a little shallow. This album you can tell he has had some practice and is getting much stronger in the studio. // 9

Overall Impression: Comparing to albums past it is by no means my favorite or a masterpiece, but it is great. Probably the best songs on the album were the singles they released "Just Drive" and "Stuck In The Middle". Also mentionable would be "Sweet Kerosene", personal favorite off the album. My main problem with the album was the transition of their sound. It is very different and not the Four Year Strong I've been listening to for years but the lyrics really hit home and convey great feeling. My favorite band in the world and hope some more of you feel the same or see my reasoning. Go pick it up! // 9

More Four Year Strong reviews rating latest review