Chasing The Grail Review

8.3
 8.6
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Chasing The Grail Reviewed by: Kreuger, on march 16, 2010

Sound: Fozzy returns with my favourite release yet. While they stray away from the metal side of things quite a bit here, enduring some pop elements the album never seems to fall directly into cliches. Yes, there's a ballad but it's done reasonably well in my opinion. This CD shows the guys are open to new ideas and won't be a band who just gets stuck repeating themselves. There's some great riffs, drumming, singing and even some keyboard and other experimental stuff. // 8

Lyrics: This is where it can get a little bit cheesy, or at least a lot of people will find. Personally, I have absolutely no problem with them at all. Jericho really shines in a few songs, like Pray For Blood and Broken Soul. He may not be the best or unique but he can definitely hold his own. Rich also does some singing of his own on the pop fueled ballad New Day's Dawn. I read online that they originally wanted a female to sing it but Rich tried it out and they liked it. I'm actually glad they did it this way, it makes it unique. Now for a song by song break down. The prog inspired Wormwood is surprisingly well done. It doesn't get boring musically and follows a story like structure in the lyrics (though they are a bit boring). The thing that saves this song's lyrics (besides the music itself) is the where Chris decided to sing it. Some parts are just normal singing and other are gruff, even boarding a death metal grunt but you can totally understand what he's saying so that's great. // 8

Overall Impression: There isn't really anything I dislike about the album. I wish there was a little more of a metal sound to the songs but there's some good rock songs here regardless. Overall, a great release and if they continue along these longs, I look forward to their next release. I would definitely pick it up again if it was lost or stolen. Well worth my money. // 8

More Fozzy reviews rating latest review
+ Do You Wanna Start A War 7 07/30/2014