Sin And Bones Review

fozzy: Sin And Bones
Released: Aug 14, 2012
Genre: Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Alternative Rock
Label: Century Media
It's the 5th album of Fozzy and its mind-blowing as hell. After great releases like "All That Remains" and "Chasing The Grail", they have created yet another one hell of an album.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.7
 9.2
 8.2
Sin And Bones Reviewed by: Aryan Death Man, on august 13, 2012

Sound: So, it's the 5th album of Fozzy and its mind-blowing as hell. After great releases like "All That Remains" and "Chasing The Grail", they have created yet another one hell of an album. This is probably the most musically complete and after listening all the songs, you could see how they have matured, in terms of creating songs. If you're a fan of the 80's heavy metal and hard rock bands (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard) you'll definitely love it. Chris Jericho recently stated that he wanted this album to be their "Black Album". I really hope that they find commercial success with this 'cause they really deserve it and after hearing this album, I will say that they're one of the best metal bands out there right now. // 9

Lyrics: As I stated above, this is their most musically complete album yet. I will give you an in-depth take on all songs.here's the breakdown of all the songs of "Sin And Bones": 01. "Spider In My Mouth" - The opening track starts with a very haunting theme. The intro really pumps you up for this song and for this album as well. The verse is a good one, which features a good heavy riff.It has a catchy chorus. The bridge is very heavy too. This song will be a great crowd pleasing song and one of my favorites of this album as well. 02. "Sandpaper" (Featuring M. Shadows) - the lead single features vocals from Avenged Sevenfold's M. Shadows. The song is definitely very catchy. The vocals of Jericho and Shadows match superbly. it has a great solo as well. I expect this song to be a regular in Fozzy concerts. 03. "Blood Happens" - One of the heaviest and trashiest song. Rich Ward has put some great work in this one. The chorus is great in this one. The verse is good too. 04. "Inside My Head" - One of the few ballads of this album. This song really reminds you of Def Leppard and Jericho sounds a lot like Joe Eliott. The verse is soft one and it feature a great guitar plucking. The chorus is breath-taking. I really love the guitar work and vocals in this one. It feature a great guitar solo in the end. Rich Ward really proves that you don't need a fast and complicated guitar solo for a guitar solo to be great. My personal favorite song of this album and easily, one of the best Fozzy songs ever. 05. "Sin And Bones" - The title track is a heavy one. This song and "Blood Happens" is very similar. Again, it has great guitar works and Jericho seems to have the right vocal balance on this one. 06. "A Passed Life" - The other ballad of this album. This song seems like a hybrid of U2's "Love Is Blindness" and Iron Maiden's "Wasting Love". The verse is very unsettling and haunting. Jericho's vocal performance is very good, I really like his voice in the heavy chorus. It has some very good clean guitar work. The song pumps up in the end. One of the best songs in this album. 07. "She's My Addiction" - Another catchy and and a crowd pleasing song. This has a 80's feel to it. It features some great guitar solo from Motorhead's lead guitarist Phil Campbell. 08. "Shine Forever" - The opening riff and song as whole, has a groove metal feel to it. Jericho is too awesome in this one with high pitch and low pitch vocals. Guitar and bass works are lovely too. 09. "Dark Passenger" - The Intro and verses and are very haunting. The chorus is good. The bridge is good too which feature heavy riffs and drummings with a small guitar solo. 10. "Storm The Beaches" - The 12 minute epic song, felt a bit out of sorts to me. I really loved "Wormwood" which in my opinion, is the best Fozzy song ever. But this song is no where near that. Jericho tries to connect all type of emotions in this one with his vocals. It's song pretty progressive. But I really loved the chorus and I loves the guitars works by Rich Ward. The lyrics are very good too. This is Jericho's best vocal performance to date. His voice has a touch of Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson and Def Leppard's Joe Elliot. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been following Fozzy for a long time now. I have always loved their work. Thus, I had great expectations for this album and Fozzy even managed to exceed my expectations. To me, this one of the best metal albums of this decade. They really proved the critics who thought is was just an average band founded by a professional wrestler and a rap metal guitarist. "Inside My Head" and "A Passed Life" are the best songs in my opinion. But I loved "Spider In My Mouth", "Shine Forever", "Blood Happens" too. They're probably isn't a bad song in this album, but "Storm The Beaches", "Dark Passenger" is probably the weaker songs in there. But, overall I loved it and I really hope Fozzy gets the success they greatly desire. Because they deserve it. // 10

Sin And Bones Reviewed by: RasiedonRock, on august 15, 2012

Sound: This band is really tricky. With the closed mindedness of the metal community, this band has never been given a fair shot because vocalist Chris Jericho s a professional wrestler. But apparently, acting is ok! Nevertheless, the sound of this album is a very typical Fozzy sound. It's very rooted in traditional, old school heavy metal with crunchy riffs and melodic vocals. You can hear influences from several different bands in the songs, including some Iron Maiden in "A Passed Life" and some GNR in "She's My Addiction". They also continued their more progressive work with my personal album highlight, "Storm The Beaches", a song about the Normandy landings. Guitarists Rich Ward and Billy Grey pulled out some fantastic riffs and solos for this album, including the extremely catchy riffing on the thudding title track "Sin And Bones", and several sections of "Storm The Beaches". Overall, this is their most mature sounding record musically, and has some of the best musical work of the bands career. // 10

Lyrics: Ah. This section is where we encounter the reason for the b-tchfests. Chris Jericho. Many fans bemoan this. How dare someone who found fame in one profession decide to pursue another passion? That's not allowed! Oh well. Lets go to one fact. Chris is not a fantastic singer. Can he sing? Yes. Does he make it work? Yes. Is he a great showman? Absolutely! Hmm, that sounds like Diamond Dave, actually... So, Jericho can sing, that's out of the way. And he does the best singing of his career on this album, although there are some spots where he tries a bit too hard to reach beyond. His lyric writing is mature and provocative, with subject matter ranging from fantasy to religion to wars. He and Rich work together on many lyrics, and it shows in the mature style of the lyrics. The lyrics match the music very well. I only have two complaints that lower the mark a bit: 1. Jericho tries a few times to reach too far with his singing. 2. The lyrics have some awkward moments where they don't flow as well. With that in mind, the lyrics and vocals are well done. I give them 8/10, with those two complaints bringing down the mark. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is easily the best work of the bands career. Almost everything is clicking perfectly, with the band firing on all cylinders. The standout tracks for me are the epic "Storm The Beaches", the cock rock throwback "She's My Addiction", and the provocative "A Passed Life". Fozzy continues to prove the critics wrong. Hopefully they gain the respect they deserve with this album, because this is their best so far. I love the thought provoking nature of the album. I love the musical diversity and the variety of influences. This is essential Fozzy. This is them at their best. Buy this album. Give in to the Fozzspel. // 9

More Fozzy reviews rating latest review
+ Do You Wanna Start A War 6.9 08/05/2014