Love, Ire And Song Review

frank turner: Love, Ire And  Song
Released: Mar 31, 2008
Genre: Folk rock
Label: Xtra Mile
The second album by UK based songwriter Frank Turner previously a member of Million Dead.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.2
 9.8
Love, Ire And Song Reviewed by: Guitar-God-Elf, on august 26, 2008

Sound: Obviously singer-songwriters are pretty restricted as far as sound goes, yet Mr. Turner still manages to stand out from the crowd. The album opens with 'I Knew Prufrock Before He Got Famous' a song that starts from the bare minimum guitar strum, yet soon builds up into a whole band performance. 'Reason Not To Be An Idiot' is a highlight on the album, upbeat in the sound, lyrically quite downbeat. Another highlight to the album is 'Long Live The Queen' which is really quite simple musically with verses keeping a strong rythem through muted strings, and the chorus kicking into melodic singing. Due to the simplistic nature of the sound there's not much else I can write, being able to stand out as a singer-songwriter is a difficult trait, but as this is not as good as 'Sleep For The Week'. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, Frank Turner is head and shoulders above everybody else. All of his lyrics are about real-life experiences which allow the listener to relate to them easily. A few examples of this are: 'Long Live The Queen' - about one of his friends who died, but had lived her life to the full, and telling everybody else to do so. 'Photosynthesis' - about how he should accept he is no longer 'Hip', but instead he says 'f--k it' and refuses to. 'Reasons Not To Be An Idiot' - about a goth friend he had. I think it's clear to see he still manages to sing about a variety of subjects, instead of just interpreting one subject in different manners. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is great, just about every song on the album stands out. The songs which are most impressive are - 'Reason Not To Be An Idiot', 'Long Live The Queen', 'Photosynthesis' and 'Substitute'. I love this album, it would get a 10/10 but it is not as good as 'Sleep Is For The Week' and also some songs get a bit samey by the end. But still a great effort from Frank Turner. If you havn't bought this album yet, I highly recommend it. // 9

Love, Ire And Song Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on october 27, 2008

Sound: Frank Turner shows his storytelling skills in his latest release, Love Ire And Song. Turner's songs cover a gamut of moods from the sunny, upbeat folk broth of Reasons Not To Be An Idiot to the gulfs of smooth blues-folk lining Better Half. His storytelling has a bluntness that is usually reserved for the crowd gathering at the back table of a pub, pinned to the narrator whose ramblings have no censoring. This describes Turner's song Long Live The Queen perfectly, a folksy rock number loaded with barb-wired guitars, taut rhythmic strokes, and choppy vocals that spew freely as overtones of angelic strings seep in and out of the tune. Some tracks have a slow country folk waddle like Christopher Is Coming Home, Turner's likeness to famous Irish tune Danny Boy and the belt of soft tatters along the title track. The spinning wheels of Imperfect Tense and Photosynthesis have rollicking motions and a glint of Irish accents in the flapping chords, but none of the tracks are more brazenly Irish sounding than To Take You Home with flighty strings and feathered guitar chords moving to an Irish Jig. Rows of escalating and descending slopes garner the tune with a sense of optimism as hallways of echoing drumbeats pipe in with a jolly spree. The bluesy overtone of the piano ballad Jet Lag project a pensive mood, which drifts into the calmly stroked waves and spiritual folk lifts of The Ballad Of Me And My Friends. The song has a deep penetration liken to Neil Young trussed up in softly winding acoustics and upward bound vocals. // 7

Lyrics: Turner's lyrics can be driven by political views like in Long Live The Queen or socially poignant like in Reasons Not To Be An Idiot but usually they are self-reflective like in the country-folk swags of Substitute. Turner intones, I've had many different girls inside my bed These days I cuddle up to my guitar instead / But oh, what I would give / Not to stumble but to really fall in love / And I could substitute my singing for the sound of someone sleeping next to me. // 7

Overall Impression: Frank Turner's style of singing is fluid with some rough edges. His music is often typical of Irish folk songs with melodic curves that have a shay of gruff. His uptempo tracks like To Take You Home and Photosynthesis have a catchy feel to them which makes them instantly likeable, but the smooth textured wraps of Better Half and Christopher Is Coming Home are also nice to cuddle up with on a rainy day. Turner's album adds to Ireland's legacy of folk musicians whose music reaches beyond the island's borders. // 7

More Frank Turner reviews rating latest review