The Real Damage Review

artist: frank turner date: 08/25/2008 category: compact discs
frank turner: The Real Damage
Release Date: May 07, 2007
Label: Xtra Mile
The songs are incredibly introspective, reflecting feelings that we can identify with in everyday life.
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Real Damage Reviewed by: DevilMayCare, on august 25, 2008

Sound: Since the break-up of Million Dead, Frank Turner has been a busy man. As well as touring up and down the country, he's released 2 Eps, 2 albums and a DVD. The Real Damage was his second EP, released May 2007. His acoustic guitar work always works well with his often bitter lyrics and, whilst the others who provide drums, backing vocals, keyboards and so on certainly give more to the tracks, he is more than capable of recreating them with just a guitar. Sunshine State sees him skip up and down the strings with quick arpeggios and Heartless/Bastard/Motherfucker makes good use of muted strings to bring a harsher quality to the song. Sea Legs is a much more sober affair with more finger picking. Only five tracks, but displays a wide variety of Frank's talents in song-writing. // 8

Lyrics: The beauty about Frank Turner is he sings songs that the everyday adolescent/young adult can relate to. The Real Damage tells the story of waking up after a heavy night drinking, to find you have no idea where you are and questioning what's the point, Heartless/Bastard/Motherfucker pretty much does what it says on the tune and is a self-deprecating angry rant, and Sea Legs is a turn on the good-bye song. Frank Turner's voice is a reasonably versatile one (but don't expect falsetto anytime soon) and his voice copes just as well singing his more upbeat, sing-along songs as with singing more sombre songs like the afore mentioned Sea Legs. // 10

Overall Impression: In a few short months, Frank Turner has become my favourite acoustic sing-songwriter. I personally think he stands head and shoulders above other singer-songwriters out at the moment but others may not be as fond of his aggressive style of writing, that often bursts out of his tracks in the form of bitter angry lyrics. That said, he is not a one trick horse and is definitely worth a listen for anyone who likes acoustic artists. "The Real Damage" and "Heartless/Bastard/Motherfucker" are the standout albums on the track for me, and if this album were stolen I would buy it again without a doubt. // 9

More Frank Turner reviews rating latest review