Over-Nite Sensation Review

frank zappa: Over-Nite Sensation
Released: Sep 7, 1973
Genre: Hard Rock, Comedy Rock
Label: DiscReet Records
This album gives rock a new face, and it's pretty funny.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.9
 9.7
Over-Nite Sensation Reviewed by: Selig_Free, on july 24, 2009

Sound: Frank Zappa's signature sound comes to it's full form in his 16th album. Frank Zappa proves once again that genre basing music is a load of crap. Surely it revolutionized the rock world at the time. The album begins with the quintessential sex song about absolutely nothing "Camarillo Brillo". "I'm the Slime" preaches about the evil that comes from your TV set. "Dirty Love" another sex song, as funny as it is. "Fifty Fifty" has an extremely awesome keyboard solo. "Zomby Woof" seems like a strange name for another sex song. The incredibly funny lyrics make up for that, however. "Dinah-Moe Humm" has an awesome bassline and lyrics that continue to make me smile/frown. The final song, "Montana" gives us one of the best guitar solos in all of Zappa-history. This album gives rock a new face, and it's pretty funny. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are silly, and that's all there is to it. No hidden meanings to decipher. Just sit back and enjoy the nonsense. My favorite lyrics belong to Fifty Fifty, a song about transexuality(?). Zappa has a lot of perverted humor in his songs, so I wouldn't advise letting your kids listen to the album. Zappa is a fairly good singer, as well. // 10

Overall Impression: This album gives rock a new face, and it's pretty funny. All in all, it doesn't compare to "Sheik Yerbouti" but it certainly builds up to that spot. I reccomend this album to absolutely anyone. The only downside to this album is the fact that Ike Turner was partially involved with listening to the album. Buy this album, if you can find it. It's incredible. Sensationally, Selig. // 10

Over-Nite Sensation Reviewed by: Zomby Woof, on august 25, 2009

Sound: Frank Zappa's Over-Nite Sensation still stands as one of my favorites of all time, it's even where I got my username! This album has some of the greats from the Jazz world, including George Duke, Jean-Luc Ponty, and Ruth and Ian Underwood to name a few. If your not a Jazz fan though, don't leave yet! Zappa blends a lot of great styles into this album, including jazz, rock, funk and fusion. This band is really tight and Zappa plays some outstanding solos, including "Zomby Woof", "I'm The Slime", and "Montana". Unfortunately, the only other song where we get to hear another band member solo is on "Fifty-Fifty", and there pretty short. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrical side of this album doesn't shine as brightly as the musical side, but there are hilarious and witty moments that include social commentary on Television, in "I'm The Slime" the sentimental subject of bestiality in 'Dirty Love", Raising Dental Floss in "Montana", and Sex in, practically all of it. And Frank isn't technically... Well... A singer by any means. But he can definitely hold his own. And I bet most people don't even know that Tina Turner and the Ikettes are on this album! But no doubt these lyrics will get you to laugh and laugh... I mean, how many songs have you heard about Dental Floss? // 9

Overall Impression: If you want to get into Zappa, but became overwhelmed after looking at his vast catalogue, and couldn't decide where to start, this is the right album for you. Some of his best material is included on this album. If your looking for snarling, frenzied, fuzzy guitar, you can find it on "I'm The Slime" or "Zomby Woof". Or If you want to listen to Lyrics about finding a woman who raises Dwarfs, or learn about a "special girl" who makes a forty dollar bet, look no further that "Camarillo Brillo" and "Dinah-Moe Humm". No doubt, one of my favorites, and maybe soon, yours. // 10

More Frank Zappa reviews rating latest review