Strictly Commercial: The Best Of Frank Zappa Review

artist: frank zappa date: 10/27/2005 category: compact discs
frank zappa: Strictly Commercial: The Best Of Frank Zappa
Release Date: Aug 22, 1995
Label: Rykodisc
Genres: Jazz-Rock, Album Rock, Hard Rock, Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Comedy Rock, Experimental Rock
Zappa's albums often function as individual works, but this disc offers an intelligent selection of songs, serving as an introduction to the maverick musician.
 9.4
 9.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Strictly Commercial: The Best Of Frank Zappa Reviewed by: forevergonzo, on october 27, 2005

Sound: Frank Zappa is unlike any artist that you've ever heard before. His solos are amazing, and his music cant be classified as one genre. Each song has several instruments playing at once, and bizarre sound effects in the background. // 9

Lyrics: Frank's lyrics are hilariously funny in tracks like "Let's Make The Water Turn Black." In "I Am The Slime" his lyrics fit into the song perfectly, and has one of the greatest choruses that I've ever heard. "My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama" is downright frightening, and "Joe's Garage" just has very clever words. // 10

Overall Impression: It is impossible to compare Zappa to any artist that you've ever heard of. "Tell Me You Love Me," "Montana," Joe's Garage" and "I Am The Slime" stood out most to me. This is a great compilation of Zappa's songs, although none of his songs have ever been chart-topping, mainstream hits, they are all very well written. // 10

More Frank Zappa reviews rating latest review