Franz Ferdinand Review

franz ferdinand: Franz Ferdinand
Released: March 9, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Indie Rock
Franz Ferdinand's self-titled debut album offers the most expansive version of their music yet.
 Lyrics: 7.8
 8.8
 8.6
Franz Ferdinand Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 14, 2004

Sound: This is definitely unique and refreshing. More enjoyable with the more you listen to it. At first the album seems to be very pathetic, simply because it is so original. I found myself getting into the amazing grooves and rythyms later. Definitely some cool guitar parts. The music is like, dance rock, vintage rock, new rock, it's incredibly unique and fresh. For once the UK hype is justified. I guess you could describe Franz Ferdinand as "dork rock". It's cool though. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics seem to be sort of week, but they work. No profound messages hidden inside these songs. The lyrics do fit the music well though. The vocals are pretty cool as well. The way the signer sings the song Michael, is so cool. // 8

Overall Impression: I can't really think of any similar artists. My personal favourite are Take Me Out, This Fire, The Dark Of The Matinee, Michael and Take Me Home. I like that the music is so unique and catchy. I own over three hundered cd's and this is the only one like it. You will either love this album or hate it. If it was stolen, I would be terribly sad, and definetley buy it again. It is forsurely worth buying. I normally listen to bands liek Nickelback and Three Doors Down, but this Cd is just so cool. It sort of creates it's own genre! Go and buy it, or at least give it a listen. // 10

Franz Ferdinand Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 14, 2005

Sound: In the first track it starts off a slow and when the bass starts to play it is one good feet stoppin' toe tappin' song! This band is a very catchy! This band made music for girls to dance to. But they sound way better live! The Scottish band will destroy and conquer the USA. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in Cheating On You and This Fire sound great. The other people who say that those two songs are horrible might me smokeing something. Oh and the lead singer Alex Kapranos has one hell of a voice. I literly fell in love with him with his sexy voice in 40 Feet. And I don't know why people hate Michael. Maybe cause people think they are gay. But they are not gay. Just believe me. // 10

Overall Impression: I could never compare a band with Franz Ferdinand. They are a one of a kind. The best songs on this cd is the whole CD! Guaranteed you will fall in love with this band. They're is nothing to hate about this band. If I lost this CD, I would buy at least 20 copies. Go out and buy this CD now! // 10

Franz Ferdinand Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 16, 2005

Sound: Franz Ferdinand. There's a name that sticks in your mind. This album is not my favourite of all time but has to be recognised as it is good to just listen to whether youre oin a good mood or you feel like killing everyone. The ctachy simple riffs are a refreshing taste of modern music as a strange but surprisingly entertaining fuse of rock and pop and funk. Although as I said before I wouldnt kill myself if I had to give it up I wouldnt exactly kill myself if I had to listen to it. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are so pointless yet so powerful. It's weird how they can make a song out of nothing. The lyrics are good but ill give you 20 quid if you can find a meaning to any of them in any song. It's probably because of Alex's distinctly cool voice that he can pull them off so well. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is better than most attempts at trying to make a type of music that everyone knows of. If I asked anyone whos interested in music if they have heard of Franz Ferdinand theyd say yes. And after only one album I'd say that was impressive don't you think? The best song for me is Take Me Out with its simplicity of the riff but its just so catchy and it really grows on you. I don't hate or love anything about this album really but if I lost it I'd probably buy a new one. // 8

Franz Ferdinand Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 17, 2005

Sound: Franz Ferdinand is a great indie rock band but maybe a little to '80s-ish. The album's overall sound is really good. Although, like Led Zeppelin, when they're good they're great, but when they're bad they suck. There are many good songs on this album such as, "This Fire," "40 Ft," "The Dark Of The Matinee" and I challenge any man to tell me that "Take Me Out" isn't a great song. If you get the one with the bonus disk it's got some good songs on it too. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are good but often very strange and sometimes confusing. The lead singer is very good and unlike most European bands the lead singer doesn't sound like a woman (which means it's possible to sing along with the CD if you want. // 8

Overall Impression: I love most the songs on this album but there are those songs that, when I hear them, make me feel like I'm listening to an '80s radio station. When I compare them to other strange Indie bands like Phantom Planet it makes me wonder why I like such weird bands but that's beside the point. The point is that this is a good album, not absolutely wonderful, but good. // 8

Franz Ferdinand Reviewed by: Ababil_Albarn, on june 24, 2004

Sound: Franz Ferdinand has taken past influances such as disco beats, retro guitar work (and on one song "Auf Achse", Depeche Mode-esque keyboard licks) and others; and molded them into their own unique sonic sound that sets them apart from other neo-garage influanced bands such as The White Stripes and The Strokes. During the first half of the album their sound seem to cannot fail but it almost nosedives completely as their riffs and montonic drumbeat (although not as so much as the notorious Meg White of the White Stripes) bores the hell outta the listener (well me in particular)after "Auf Achse." // 8

Lyrics: Alex Kaparnos's only lyrical purpose is to make them burn in your head or in other words make catchy lyrics. Well, it worked! Never before in my life I've spent a day after having an album repeated listen have my mental humming playlist has been invaded by a single band. Now, "That's why we only work when/We need the money" (from "Jaqueline") and the verse of Take Me Out and it's minor alterations will forever be burned in my head. But after I've gotten over all the singing, I've come to realise the meaningless drivvle Kaparnos' has managed to spew out. "Goodbye girl/Because I'm lonely/Goodbye girl/It isn't over" (from "Cheating On You", isn't even catchy! It's just anoying, Alex! But the Alex's vocal talents are astoundingly apropriate. Won't hear the range of Axl Rose or the uniqueness of Eddie Vedder but he manages to "act" his lyrics well as he plays enchanter as he sings "Accidently I/ Charm you and tell you/of the boys I hate /all the girls I hate" (from "The Dark of the Matinee") and plays party instigator on "Jaqueline" (as previously quoted) and plays an other assorted characters just by changing his voice ever so slightly. // 6

Overall Impression: 01. Jaqueline: nice opener with a quiet acoustic jam to trick us into the album when in which the bass comes uninvited opening the dam for overwhelming guitar riffs with a pounding drum beat to boot. Nice piece all in its self, serves as great opener. 02. Tell Her Tonight: a nice psychedelic jam with absurd lyrics to match. And that bridge, it's to die for. Can't stand on it's own but make the perfect filler as it's sandwhiched beetween "Jacqueline" and... 03. Take Me Out: the first minute serves as an insult to conventional garage bands with all the monotonic guitar strums and conventional singing but then slows down to a delicious and catchy jam of disco beats and one hell of a guitar riff! Stands on its own perfectly, one for the decade end best of lists! 04. The Dark Of The Matinee: another strong song with a powerful intro/chorus and an appropriate vocal performance by a charming Alex Kaparnos. The thing I'll remeber from this tour the force isn't the intro guitar lick, it's that miniscule riff in the chorus proving that Franz Ferdinand can achieve the crem of simpicity by not relying on sparse instumentation. An appropriate single. 05. Auf Achse: a practice of 80s synth pop without taking you back there perse. A too-prolonged intro make this a boring song at first but if you are able to see past that good for you. This song is golden. 06. Cheating On You 07. This Fire: after a brilliant 5 song tour de force the album slipps down like a dissapointing sophomore album. Both song only seem to serve to bore you with dauting cuts as "Goodbye Girl/cause I'm lonely" and "This fire/is outta control" from both songs respctivly. 08. Darts Of Pleasure: a high in this album with good instumentation and unforgiving british lyrical sensibility, "Words of love and words do leisured/words of poisened darts of pleasure". Brilliant, just brilliant. Although it's not advised to any band to sing "I'm super fantasic/I drink champangne and eat salmon" an orgasmic outro line (the line is english for the sung german lines, "Ich heisse super fanntastishe/Ich trinke champers mit lachsfisch". 09. Michael: just an annoying song in spite of all the hype surrounding this on the count of its redundancy and unimaginative instumentation. Dont get me started on the Suede-wannabe-sexual-androgyny lyrics, "Micheal/You're the only one I've ever want!" 10. Come On Home: just boring, period. 11. 40' A.k.a 40 Feet: inspired plagarism is the theme of this song, with a 50s jazzy movie sountrack feel through out the song is just "an inpired filler". Not a good way to end an album. This album inspite of a dismal score is a must buy! It's something diffrent, some this quirky, and in my book something good! A testament to the scottish bands abillity to take often cliched past influances and making them their own. // 6

Franz Ferdinand Reviewed by: fr0zt, on august 05, 2004

Sound: The sound is very unique considering the music made in the last 15 years. There is a very 80's pop sound to their music. There is a touch of ska in the sound. It's very hard to explain. They have stomp rhythms in almost all of their songs, but it works. They have a sound original to themselves. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics seem pretty good, but the lyrics in "Michael" make me sick. It could've been a good track, but the homo-erotic lyrics just ruin it. The rest of the album I have no qualms. The singer has a great voice. // 6

Overall Impression: Franz Ferdinand is one of the most original new bands. I would say it's one of the must-haves in the first half of 2004. "Take me Out" is arguably one of the best singles of the year. The other songs are great, but don't expect "Take me Out" in every song. Each song is different but they're good for the most part. I probably won't buy it again because I backed it up on my computer, and if I lose it I'll just burn it. At first, the songs aren't catchy, and could be hard to sink in at first. "This Fire", "Auf Achse", and "Darts of Pleasure" kind of showed this for me. Now, after a few listens, the whole album is classic to me. If you're sickened by homosexual dialogue, just skip over "Michael". "Jacqueline", "Take me Out", "...Matinee", "Come on Home", and "'40" should be all instant classics. // 8

Franz Ferdinand Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 26, 2004

Sound: Franz Ferdinand are incredible. Buy this now. Catchy, fun, dorky, emotional: high, emotional: low. Alex Kapranos has an incredible voice, very suited to the music. These guys are original, inspirational, and they stand alone in these times of Pop Idol pap. Very sharp sound, with no pretentious noodling. Although it sounds immediate in style, this album is a grower. You'll be chiming and stamping your foot along to "Michael" in a few listens, not to mention "Take Me Out" "The Dark Of The Matinee" and "Darts Of Pleasure." Give it a few weeks and you'll be screaming along. Simply incredible. (The only minor letdowns of the album are "Cheating On You" and "This Fire" but after a while even those will have you going, despite their monotony...) // 10

Lyrics: Yep, the lyrics are spot on. Mostly little stories about tension of sorts, which goes well with the angularity of the music. Alex can sing really well, and his voice ranges from velvet to thorns and back again. The two songs I mentioned above are the only lyrical downpoints, as they are repetitive and although "This Fire" makes sense in terms of sexual tension, I think "Cheating On You" is frankly lyrically crummy. But don't let that put you off as the rest of the album is unmissable! // 8

Overall Impression: It's better than anything this year. Absolutely. I think all the songs (except those mentioned above) are fantastisch but the best of the best in my opinion, are: Take Me Out, The Dark Of The Matinee, Auf Achse ("On The Axle"), Darts Of Pleasure, Michael, and The Fabulous 40 Feet. If I this CD lost I would kick myself and cry and cry (not least because I have the inlay signed!) and then I would buy it again. If it were stolen I would do the same, except if I found who stole it, I would skin them alive. // 10

Franz Ferdinand Reviewed by: Panny180, on november 26, 2004

Sound: The album starts of with what appears to be a slow song (with silly lyrics), however the second the bass kicks in, the album improves dramatically. A majority of the songs are fast paced and very, very catchy. Even as I write this, I am humming the guitar to Take me out. The sound is infectious and never gets old. Even some of the songs that I consider average at best keep me singing in the shower. If there are any bad points to make, I would say that the band tend to rely on one good tune being used throughout the whole song. This is what makes fantastic songs such as This Fire and 40' seem slightly repetitive. Really, there is only one song in the whole album that I can safely say I don't like. Cheating on you is a repetitive annoying filler track that can't even be save with a fast pace and catchy tune. A Slash solo couldn't make me like that song. // 8

Lyrics: The album songs range from having really good lyrics (Matinee) to equally bad lyrics (Cheating On You, Come On Home). With many songs, the lyrics don't really matter. Darts of pleasure's (one of the album's high points) lyrics make absolutely no sense when you really listen to them, however the song itself is a fast paced masterpiece that will have you singing along no matter how bad the lyrics get. Alex's (the singer) voice sounds average at best and does not cover a very wide range; however it's the way that he uses his voice that almost makes some of the most absurd lyrics make sense. // 6

Overall Impression: Despite buying the album on the clout of two songs (Take Me Out and Matinee), the other songs were surprisingly catchy. Even at the lowest points of the album, I was still tempted to sing along and tap my foot. The high points of the album are Jacqueline, Take Me Out, This Fire, Darts Of Pleasure and I even enjoyed Tell Her Tonight. The lows are Come On Home and Cheating On You. This album is great because of the catchy tunes and occasional great lyrics; however one or two tracks let it down. Despite being a poor and needy student, if I could go back in time I would still shell out twelve quid for such a great album. // 8

Franz Ferdinand Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 16, 2005

Sound: The sound of Franz Ferdinand varies from light singing (the intro to Jaqueline and 40'), to guitar riffs that will get stuck in your head forever. All of songs seem to have the British, Beatles like catchyness and voice. This is one of the first bands that has good guitar, a strange sound, a good voice, and great beats. This isn't emo, no matter how much you want it to be. It's more throwback music and harmonies heard in the Beatles, mixed with modernday drums and guitar/bass. 01. Jacqueline - good all around, nothing special, but nothing crappy. (9/10) 02. Tell Her Tonight - really quirky and throwback. It isn't really my style, but I like the harmonies more than the guitar. The bass is pretty good (9.5/10) 03. Take Me Out - if you avoid the part of the song everyone likes, its a great song. The intro is everything Franz Ferdinand, fun lyrics, good guitar, great beats and a catchy riff before the main song. If it weren't for a repetitive main song, this would be a 10/10, unfortuatley that isn't the case. I give this song a (7.5/10) Great intro. 04. The Dark Of The Matinee - an all around good song, good beats and guitar. Again, the harmonies work well. This song has a good main riff, but doesn't overuse it like Take Me Out. (9/10) 05. Auf Achse - wierd, the most '80s sounding track. A long intro, with some strange synth. lead but still good drums. The chorus is denfinetly the highlight of the songs and the end is good too. (8.5/10) 06. Probably the most mainstream sounding track on the CD. It's nothing special, not even wierd. Just not that good. A decent riff, but the lyrics kill it. (5/10) 07. This Fire - Hands down, one of the best songs on the CD. A mixture of everything good in Franz Ferdinand. A catchy riff, a throwback feel, strong beat, and harmony with the vocals. (10/10) 08. Darts Of Pleasure - just like Jaqueline, nothing special. Pointless lyrics but a fun guitar and great beat that make up for any weakness the lyrics show. Just alright for me, gets wierd at the end. (7.5/10) 09. Michael - good beat, bass and guitar. Just bad lyrics all the way. Just not that good lyrically. (6/10) 10. Come On Home - good guitar and beat. Just not good lyrics, alright harmonies. A decent song for people stuck in the '80s. (8/10) 11. 40' (40 Feet) - best song on the CD, I wish Franz Ferdinand could release an album of songs with the greatness of 40'. This shows off the frontman's voice, with a great riff and strong bass. Wierd lyrics, but this song is the essence of the band. (10/10) When it's good it's good, when it's bad it's bad. But when it comes to the sound of the music and lyrics, I love it. // 10

Lyrics: Good lead vocalist, he has a great voice. It isn't annoying and it has a soft, creepy tone to it. Unlike most of the popular bands today, Franz Ferdinand manages to have strange, catchy lyrics in the midst of the music. Alexander Kapranos and Nicholas McCarthy write the majority of the songs on the album. The lyrics are mostly either meaningless or about love, but not emoish. Some songs have weak lyrics and weak music, not a good pair. // 8

Overall Impression: Repetitive style. I've heard some of their other songs, and they are better than what is on this album (with the exception of 40'). I love the music. The guitar and bass are never reuglar, it's always unique. The beats are great and the music to the vocals and harmonies are really good. Franz Ferdinand has a style of repeating riffs over and over (Take Me Out). Overall it is a great album from a musicians standpoint, but it depends on the listener. If I lost the album, I'd probably buy it again. If you don't want to spend 10 bucks, download 40' and any other songs that sound interesting. // 8

Franz Ferdinand Reviewed by: SGman21, on april 01, 2005

Sound: This CD came as more a flash back for me than anything, I usualy listen to music thats a lot more dated than this, and I was pleasently surprised. The beats and rifts through out the CD are very unique, it gives the sound a lot of personality. The sound of the band may seem to start out a bit slow (e. g. Jacqueline), but one the full soud comes out you just get hooked to it. Sometimes it does get rather repetitive, but thankfuly none of the songs exceed 4:20 (Auf Achse). The sound of the CD never realy gets old either, you can listen to it time over time and it doesn't get old. // 10

Lyrics: One thing about Ferdinand is that their lyrics are indeed "unique", some lines being very addictive and fun to go along with(e. g. This Fire). However, Micheal takes "unique" beyond what's realy needed, while it has a fun beat, the lyrics are just unapealing. They're deffinatly not Zeppelin though, the lyrics prove to be a bit simplistic from time to time. Their lead singer gives the music the real touch though, blending wonderfuly with the beat and sound of the songs. // 8

Overall Impression: All in all, I consider this $15 bucks well spent, it's proven to be great "car" music, and never gets old. I tend to get addicted to the sound of it very easily, proveing how great the sound actualy is. If you find it, go ahead and buy it, even if you don't love it, I'm yet to find someone who frowns apon it. // 8

Franz Ferdinand Reviewed by: JonnyBhoy, on july 15, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is great. It is some kind of rock/indie. Franz Ferdinand describe their music as something girls can dance to. It has a funky sort of sound to it but it isn't completely aimed at the lady's as it has very etertaining riffs they may not be the hardest but tey still sound good. // 10

Lyrics: The music doesn't have the best lyrics but that doesnt matter because it works. The lyrics work very well in their songs. Nothing sounds out of place and aparently Franz Ferdinand have put secret messages in there songs. Kapranos has a very good voice which suits the style and mood of the music. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is great! There isnt a part of it that I didnt enjoy. If I lost this album or if it was stolen I would definetly buy it again. // 10

Franz Ferdinand Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 25, 2005

Sound: Franz Ferdinand are an original band with a wide range of musical influences. They're art students from Glasgow who in interviews are intellectuals in the subject of music. But in thier music this is reflected in an accessible and catchy way. The guitar lines are complex without being over-the-top. The only problem is for the people who want to play their songs - you'll need to be an very experienced guitarist with a lot of determination to learn them! // 8

Lyrics: This band's lyrics are poetic with meaning but are also suitable to sing along too. Sometimes you do wonder what the song is trying to say or maybe lose track of what's going on, but this happens less often. The singer skills are not amazing but the sound is original and listenable to. // 6

Overall Impression: This album is an addictive album one you could listen through three times on the trot and not get bored because you always find one extra twist in the bass line or find a new favourite line. My personal favourite song (and from experience other people's as well) is Take Me Out because of the wide variety of chord styles and riffs used in it. It's also very fun to play and good to listen to. // 8

Franz Ferdinand Reviewed by: Midori: DDR God, on may 06, 2006

Sound: These guys practically begun this type of music, with stuff like off-beat drum beats and '60s infulences. Highlights of this album include Michael, a pure 160 BPM energised track, with a memorable riff, and Take Me Out, which you can't have not heard! Out of the 11 on offer, 10 of them are excellent, with Come On Home being slightly too ballad-ish. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are good, with hidden messages in them. While the music is slightly better than the lyrics, they're still pretty good. // 8

Overall Impression: This is SO much better than You Can Have It So Much Better. How ironic. Because I'm a natural drummer, I like the general difficulty of the songs to play (Grade 3/4 mostly), because I am taking a Grade 3 exam in drums soon. The most impressive songs on the album are definitely Michael, Take me Out and 40' (40 Ft), a downtempo, 16th-shuffle track, with a slight jazz feel. If I lost this or got it stolen, I would get it again, as well as nearly anyone who owns this. // 10

Franz Ferdinand Reviewed by: kfong03, on august 31, 2006

Sound: The first Franz Ferdinand song I heard was "Tell her tonight", and I thought it was good, but it was too much like The Beatles, after recommendation from my friends, I bought "Franz Ferdinand", and I wasn't disappointed, most of the songs are softer than the other stuff I listen to, but it was a refreshing alternative, and while "Tell her tonight" was like The Beatles, they wrote rock-like greats like "Take me out" and faster upbeat songs like "Cheating on you", with great guitar riffs and drum patterns, brilliant. // 10

Lyrics: This album talks a hell lot about sex, but the lyrics themselves are good, they go with the song, and it's not the kind of lyrics that gets you nowhere, it's not complicated or anything like that, and for the most part, they impressed me, but if you're looking for something really really good in tems of lyrics, you can look somewhere else. // 8

Overall Impression: This is new creative stuff that can compare with The Beatles or Oasis, and songs like "Take me out", and "Dark of the matinee" are real show-stoppers, just to name a few, this album is definitely recommended, and though "Michael" sounds a bit perverted, it's still good stuff, and if I were to have this album stolen, I would be in a rush to buy a new copy of it. // 9

Franz Ferdinand Reviewed by: Daniel Pearce, on february 16, 2007

Sound: I think Franz Ferdinand is name of one of the bands' friends, I heard that somewhere. Franz Ferdinand are a real great live band (I'd suggest seeing them)and are incredibly unique. They produce some technical chords and rythems in their debut. When you play a part in one of their songs you would probably think it doesn't sound right by itself, like it needs the rest of the band with you. When it's all put together Franz Ferdinand produce some good rock music. I saw the Scottish band in the newspapers not too long ago giving tips out to people on creating music. The only tip I can remember was the one that saide you should use anything around the house, even if it's not an instrument. This is some cool English indie rock that's from Scotland. // 10

Lyrics: I wouldn't say he has the voice of Tom, lead singer of Keane but I think he does a good job with the vocals. This is rock music we're talking about here anyway so you wouldn't call this too much 'singing' because there is quite a lot of shouting. But at the begginnings of songs he does some singing like 'Jacquline' and a few others. There are some slow bits he sings with the chords of the keyboard going on. Like lead singer of the Killers: when there's a slow part he plays some chords on the keyboad. He looks confident on stage and not only is he singing he's lead guitar. The lyrics are really at you and spectacular. It's sounds as if some of the songs could have been something that could've happened to one the band. Like getting drunk etc. The singer compares to Alex who also plays lead guitar aswell as singing but that's really as closest band like them. // 9

Overall Impression: I think they are very professional musicians in many ways. Every song of theirs could easily be a single but overall I have to say that 'Take Me Out' and Jacquline are the best songs on there (but not by too far). They have good song names and a reasonable amount of tracks. I love the fact that it's very rocky and got some oustanding rythems, shame they couldn't of done as good in their second album though (I suppose it's harder in a way.) I hate the fact that you don't want to listen to it all the time. You'd rather listen to something way more peaceful, but that's rock for you. If it were stolen I'd definetely buy it again. If it were lost again I'd probably just burn the music off someone else's copy on to a blank CD. // 10

More Franz Ferdinand reviews rating latest review