You Could Have It So Much Better Review

Released: Oct 4, 2005
Label: Sony
Genre: Rock
Styles: Indie Rock
It's an assured, endearingly cocky return that builds on the strengths of its predecessor, and importantly, brings a few more tricks to the table.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.6
 9.1
 8.1
You Could Have It So Much Better Reviewed by: Jordy, on september 13, 2005

Sound: Franz Ferdinand's new album, "You Could Have It So Much Better" improves vastly on their first release, a huge hit last year which nevertheless had many shortcomings. On the new album, the band grows closer to the sound they seem to be trying for, perfecting it further and writing more complete songs. Songs like the first single "Do You Want To" and "Well That Was Easy" recall the first album, with catchy dance beats and a fun sound. "The Fallen" and "Evil And A Heathen" bring complicated instrumentation into play, with a fuller sound, and "This Boy" is the catchiest 2-minute song since the Beatles. Franz Ferdinand even get oddly original on the new album, with songs like "You Could Have It So Much Better", a talk-and-sing number with an odd sound, and "Eleanor Put Your Boots On", which steals its sound directly from the Beatles (no relation to "Eleanor Rigby"). But Franz Ferdinand really shine through on their slower, emotional numbers like "Walk Away", which could bring a lump to anyone's throat. "Fade Together", the second-to-last track, is a beautiful love ballad unlike anything the band has made before. But yet, unlike most upbeat bands who play with downbeat songs, Franz Ferdinand's slower tracks are not corny, boring, or repetitive. // 10

Lyrics: "You Could Have It So Much Better" definitely improves on the stupidity of the "Take Me Out" lyrics (thank God it was catchy) and the over-sexiness of "Darts Of Pleasure" from the first album. "The Fallen" echoes the Bible in one of Jesus' most underrated (and most ignored) statements, "Judge not lest ye be judged," while "What You Meant" plays with some genius rhymes admist catchy music. The band still throws in a few silly dance lyrics in, like "Do You Want To", but songs like "Walk Away," again shining through, make up for that. // 8

Overall Impression: "You Could Have It So Much Better" is most definitely one of the best albums of the year, so far. It shows true progression from Franz Ferdinand's last album, and they might just have the making of a band that will stick around. It has its faults, and some weak tracks (e.g. "Well That Was Easy"), but it is worth buying. Overall, in one sentence: catchy, without the abrasive edge and the stop-starting of some of the songs on the last album, a bit less dance and a bit more soul. // 10

You Could Have It So Much Better Reviewed by: jeremycrackcorn, on october 18, 2005

Sound: It is amazing the sound that this record has. The impression that it gives me on songs such as "The Fallen" is a Beatles sound mixed with a Jim Morisson kind of voice. The riffs in the new CD are more catchy using single string picking rather than using mostly power chords on their first CD. Many of the songs though sound alot like the first CD. This new addition is a more rounded out cd though when first listening to it, you don't hear that one song that just says "single" to you. All in all it is a CD that everyone should buy. It is enough like the old CD for former fans to be interested but Franz Ferdinand also opens up the door to new listeners. // 10

Lyrics: The overall lyrics are pretty creative and goes along pretty well with the flow of the song. The only downfall I see to the lyrical aspect of the CD is that there is a lot of repeating the same phrase over and over just to get the song past the three minute mark. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this CD is well rounded out and is a must for all people who love the classic rock sound. This is the one band (other that Jet) who have that classic rock feel to them and I am glad to finally hear some new music with that sound. The most impressive songs that I find on the album are the upbeat songs "The Fallen" and "What You Meant" along with the slower song "Walk Away." All in all this has a very good mix or slow and upbeat songs making it a must on anyones christmas list. // 9

You Could Have It So Much Better Reviewed by: white_noise, on october 24, 2005

Sound: Franz Ferdinand have moved away from a winning formula with the sound of their second offering, I thought this could have been a hideous mistake, but alas it was not. This album not just equals the self-titled debut, but improves on it. The riffs in this album are excellent, especially in I'm Your villain and This Boy. Like in the brilliance that is Take Me Out from the first album, there are a few tempo changes to keep things interesting. Kapranos uses his guitar in perfect conjunction with his band members to create an entrawling sound that is consistant throughout. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are much deeper in this album from the last, and take a leaf from Killers' book by using much more personal experence. Songs like Well That Was Easy and Outsiders does this well. Kapranos sings well again. // 9

Overall Impression: How do you choose standout songs on this album? All 13 tracks are musical genius. If I had to choose a few, they would have to be The Fallen, for brilliant lyrics, What You Meant, for a great catchy tune, Eleanor Put Your Boots Back On, for being a great varient in the album and Walk Away for sheer Franz inspired emotion. This is a class album, and is so good, I think it could even cure the most hard-core of chavs (that's how good it is). Franz Ferdinand are coming to Nottingham in November, and I'm definately going to be there. // 10

You Could Have It So Much Better Reviewed by: melon, on november 24, 2005

Sound: The second of the Franz Ferdinand, I personally think it is perfect (well not prefect but nearly perfect) If there was a rating, I would say it was 9.9/10. The Fallen, the first track, is just excelltn using clever lyrics, I love the line " Just because you like to destroy the things that bring the idiots joy." Do you want to and Well that was easy, I didn't like too much until I listened to them about 10 times, then I thought they were quality songs. This Boy, is excellent though I like the live version they played before the album was out. Either way, it has catchy lyrics and rhythms, all crammed in to 2 minutes. Outsiders is a great song, but I think What you Meant was just immense, it was stuck in my head so quickly. You could have it so much better, was like a shout/talk song which worked very well. // 10

Lyrics: Excellent, Alex Kapranos is a great vocalist and Nick can really make the backing effective. The lyrics are good I thought, as I said before, the line from the fallen is great, just excellent. This Boy also has interesting lyrics. You could have it so much better shows how if you tried hard, you could get better, and the lyrics seem so right. // 10

Overall Impression: It is probably my favourite album, and the one I listen to so much. The most impressive song I think, is What you Meant. I don't hate anything about this album, I think it's pure genius. // 10

You Could Have It So Much Better Reviewed by: lucky69, on august 11, 2006

Sound: Scottish indie band Franz Ferdinand's second full-length album focuses on expanding their style and reaching a stronger climax, in addition to achieving a more experienced-sounding songwriting style. In You Could Have It, FF experiments with several new styles, while keeping their disco-rock feel. They go for an almost Beatles-type style in the mini-piece "Eleanor Put Your Boots On," and branch out to reach the pop-rock crowd with their first single "Do You Want To," which landed them on top of some of the biggest charts and back on MTV. A recurring theme within the album is bittersweet, mid-tempo rock displayed in songs such as "Walk Away," and "Outsiders." while their debut album was full of hooks, You Could Have It So Much Better is just so much better. the songs are just so much more experienced and the lyrics so much wittier. // 10

Lyrics: Franz Ferdinand has reached the point where they are becoming more experienced song-writers and their lyrics have reached a very consistant point. The lyrics and music are very complimentary of each other, both having a unique indie quality, and the simple upbeat melodies blend well with the singer's scottish accent producing a harmony few other bands have been able to reproduce. // 9

Overall Impression: This album really shows Franz Ferdinand's growth as a band. Their self-titled debut album had 10 great songs, but they were packed together and all sounded very similar. You Could Have It So Much Better has 13 amazing songs that show diversity, while keeping the bands signature sound. The percussion has a distinct upbeat feel throughout the album and the blend of edgy guitars and catchy bass lines produce songs sure to stay stuck in your head for days. // 9

You Could Have It So Much Better Reviewed by: rhodri_d, on october 04, 2005

Sound: Even thou Franz Ferdinand's last ablum was brilliant this tops it. Great riffs in songs like The Fallen and I'm Your Villain, which I would say is the best song on this album, the reason I won't give the sound a ten is because I would say songs like Eleanor Put Your Boots On lets the album down because the songs are to slow and arn't catchy. Overall thou exellent. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are good and catchy again going back to I'm Your Villain which even thou the lyrics in the album are wierd, it doesn't matter because there catchy and therefore seems to make it more sense. // 9

Overall Impression: This albums awesome it doesn't matter that some songs let it down it just doesn't seem to be a bother. Some brilliant songs on this album that can easily be classed as some of Franz Ferdinand's best work. An ablum well worth getting. // 10

You Could Have It So Much Better Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 05, 2005

Sound: The first album was good and funky, and this album keeps that same bounce but with a much darker sound to the chopping guitar riffs. The Fallen, Well That Was Easy and Walk Away are the best tracks as they are dark but with a guitar and bass guitar combination that makes you want to Jig from the word go. However What You Meant and Elenor Put Your Boots On are the reason it dosent hit 10, it's just a bit too slow and Beatle like which they can't hit properly. // 9

Lyrics: I like Alex's voice they way he rhymes is always good, and even when he doesnt rhyme he can still pull it off (The Fallen). Eleanor is one that goes to slow and it doesn't suit him too well but still a good song. I've always liked Franz lyrics and the voice. // 10

Overall Impression: This beats their first album not by miles but enough to make it worthy of a purchase. The new dark edgey sound mixed with the sharp stabbing lyrics makes for a super-cool album. Shame about Eleanor and What you meant even though they are still listenable songs. Well done Franz. // 10

You Could Have It So Much Better Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 05, 2005

Sound: If nothing else, Franz Ferdinand's killer sound is enough to get me smiling. Though they might have the same influences as several of their contemporaries, they way they arrange and execute their art does not fail to impress me. From what I've heard, this album, and any other subsequent albums of the band, were initially not meant to have any titles. They were simply to be called "Franz Ferdinand," only distinguishable by a different colour scheme. However, things changed and the title was changed to "You Could Have It So Much Better With Franz Ferdinand" after which the "With Franz Ferdinand" was dropped. Just a bit of mindless gossip to satisfy the website. Franz keep loyal to their sound, though they expand their borders with a few adventures into '60s-laced psychedelic pop a-la The Beatles. Their more familiar numbers have a much rougher, punked edge to them, expecially the vocal delivery. Plus, there's the insertion of one more jagged guitar to grate your eardrums. Sadly, there aren't many musical innovations floating around, and sorry to say, Franz weren't the ones find this elusive quality. Nevertheless the sound does not fail to deliver. There is a much greater variety in sound on this offering that in the debut, with the abrasive punk made more a abrasive, the disco driven up the wall, and a few surprising romantic ballads with an undeniably Franzy feel. // 10

Lyrics: At first listen you get the impression that Franz Ferdinand, Kapranos and McCarthy in particular, are perhaps a bit too smart for their own pants. However, you quickly learn to appreciate and love some of the witty, sharp and sometimes unexpected rhymes which, I must say, add that extra dash of substance needed to keep you engrossed. How could you possibly fault such an ending line as this: "Stalin smiles; Hitler laughs; Churchill claps Mao Tse Tsung on the back?" Even though certain moments can cause a bit of a cynical sneer - "I love your friends, they're all so arty" - these lyrics are a vast improvement on the relatively sparse wording in their debut. The lyrics, as usual, combine with the spastic rythmns and sultry grooves to induce in you an unquenchable desire to tap your foot, nod your head and grin. That said, can Kapranos ever fail to deliver vocally? // 9

Overall Impression: Ever since Franz entered the scene they've managed to hog a very lucrative niche in the current indie scene (trying to avoid pigeon-holing). Their unique brand of blatant irony, nervy guitar work and throbbing, rubber-bass has been further distilled and this album seems to move them further away from their contemporaries and into a more vivid Franz-ville. By far the most exciting and gripping is the superb opener "The Fallen." Other highlights include "This Boy," the sumptuous "Eleanor Put Your Boots On," the unmistakably groove of "I'm your Villain" and the very interesting closer "Outsiders." The most endearing aspect of this album is the no-fear, very confident approach to the songs, there is not a hint of uncertainty. Also, though some songs are not that great, there are no blatant fillers. On the less sunny side of things, too many tracks start and finish in an disturbingly abrupt fashion, while others seem to lack any definite direction, simply relying on the usual razor-sharp guitars, throbbing bass and irony to keep the album moving. In the event that this album disappeared from my possesion, I have to admit that I would get something else, though this would undoubtedly be an agonising decision. I like this album quite a lot. // 9

You Could Have It So Much Better Reviewed by: Breathe, on october 10, 2005

Sound: The new Franz Ferdinand album has their groundbreaking, european sound. However this time around they stuck to their "Take Me Out" typer guitar. You can hear the similar style in songs like; The Fallen, Do You Want To, and even, You Could Have It So Much Better. This seems to be their motif. You can also hear some of the 40' guitar in songs like; Outsiders, Walk Away, and in the slowness of Fade Together. // 6

Lyrics: The best part about Franz Ferdinand, is that they record live as much as possible. you can hear this in any of thier live shows. These lyrics must have been really close to the band's heart, because most of them don't have a definate rhyme scheme, meaning that their true goal was to express experiences they've had. // 4

Overall Impression: I find this album to be much better that their self titled debut. I'd have to say that it is almost as enjoyable as Weezer's Blue album. I absolutely love the lead guitar and percussion. the best songs on this CD have to be (in order): The Fallen, You Could Have It So Much Better, Elanor Put Your Boots On, Fade Together, Walk Away, Do You Want To, and Outisders. This is the best album I've bought or heard this entire year, if some how it left my possesion sadness would follow me, at least until I bought antother. // 8

You Could Have It So Much Better Reviewed by: kfong03, on august 31, 2006

Sound: This album is still as good as Franz Ferdinand's self-titled debut album, with the same good guitar riffs and techniques, but this time round, I think the drumming has improved a lot, and the music, like good music, is catchy and easy to listen to. The music variety hasn't changed much, but the stuff that you'll find here can be both similar and refreshing at the same time, so if you liked the first album, do have a listen at this, it's equally good and deserves to be heard. // 10

Lyrics: Once again, like their previous album, I don't think Franz Ferdinand's lyrics are that much special, "You could have it so much better" moves away a bit from sex, and the lyrics here have certainly improved, but not by far. So if you're listening to the album, stick to the music, the lyrics aren't excactly brilliant, but it's aceptable. // 9

Overall Impression: "You could have it so much better" definitely have great songs in it, like "Do you want to","This boy", "Walk away", are real greats, the majority of the music is catchy, the others may take a little bit more time to adjust to, but once you do, this album will truly show it's real worth-which is a remarkable, memorable music adventure, Franz Ferdinand is the band that's gonna get UK music the respect they deserve. // 9

More Franz Ferdinand reviews rating latest review