Chronicles Review

free: Chronicles
Release Date: Apr 5, 2005
Label: Universal International
Genres: Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Album Rock
This compilation includes 35 selections that perfectly illustrate the depth and breadth of Free's recorded work.
 8.4
 9.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Chronicles Reviewed by: tilleking, on january 20, 2007

Sound: It was a real shame that Free broke up when they did! Because they were on the verge of something big. Pretty much anyone and everyone in the developed world will have heard "All Right Now" at some time or another! They're easily recognisable by Paul Rodgers' distinctive voice and Paul Kossoff's guitar riffs and sounds. They've done loads of fantastic songs, and this double-disc CD really shows some of them off. As soon as you pop the first disc into your disc-tray, you're hit by the incredible "Walk In My Shadow", which is one of my favourite riffs/tracks of all time. The first disc also features the ever popular "All Right Now" single version; on top of 15 other tracks! Not every song is incredible, but once you've got into one of their songs, you'll be listening to the rest for ages. The same applies to the second disc. It features "The Stealer", "Crossroads" (Cream) and "Wishing Well". There's a good mix of faster-paced blues songs, as well as some really good slower songs, where piano tends to feature a lot. Five of the songs on the second disc are recorded live. In their five years as a band, they made seven albums, and since splitting up, they've featured in at least 10 compilation CDs. // 9

Lyrics: Not all of the lyrics are your typical blues, repetitive lyrics. But you can pretty much guarantee that once you've found yourself a favourite song, you'll be singing it for months on end. Odds are you won't be able to sing anywhere near as good as Paul Rodgers, I once heard a guy singing "All Right Now" down the pub on a Jam Night, and he was fantastic. It was actually a really good impersonation. Paul Rodgers' voice tends to be a 'love/hate it' kind of voice. I absolutely love it. He's so talented! // 10

Overall Impression: This is the only Free album I own, though it is a compilation, so you're getting a top notch 'best of' here. I only bought it on impulse for about 7.99 on Amazon, and I'm so glad that I did. "Walk In My Shadow" and "Going Down Slow" may be songs that you've never heard before, but they will blow your mind. They're completely brilliant. If you've ever liked Free, Bad Company, Eric Clapton, Cream, Hendrix, (or any blues for that matter) you should buy this CD. You get 35 tracks that will keep you entertained for a long time! // 10

More Free reviews rating latest review
+ Heartbreaker 9.5 08/25/2008