The Fiction We Live Review

from autumn to ashes: The Fiction We Live
Released: September 9, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hardcore Punk, Punk Metal
The Fiction We Live has more plusses than minuses and paints a generally appealing picture of the Long Island alternative rockers.
 9.9
 9.7
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
The Fiction We Live Reviewed by: TheTallOne, on june 29, 2004

Sound: "The Fiction We Live" is a good emo-core disc. I like the sound of this album alot, especially when they have very heavy songs, like "The After Dinner Payback". I like the guitar work on this album too. // 10

Lyrics: These lyrics are ridiculously metaphoric and I respect that. When I read through the lyrics I saw how poetic and creative these guys can be. But I was lost in the raging guitars and pounding drums. // 10

Overall Impression: This disc reminded me of that band The Used, except with awesome guitars and double bass. The most impressive songs on this album are "The After Dinner Payback" and "Every Reason to". I love how the drummer and screamer switch off alot. The only thing I hate about this album is the fact that their drummers vocals sound like that guy from The Used. If it were stolen then I'd buy a new one, its worth buying if you are a fan of The Used, or Story Of The Year, but you want something heavier. // 10

The Fiction We Live Reviewed by: Kaney, on january 28, 2006

Sound: "The Fiction We Live" is the follow up to the amazing "Too Bad You're Beautiful" and the band have done a great job on this album. Although this album has gone a bit more melodic and mellow there are still some heavy songs such as "The After Dinner Payback" and "Milligram Smile" and with amazing double melodies from the two singers From Autumn To Ashes have really explored some new possibilties with this album. // 10

Lyrics: As there is a lot of screaming its quite to make out a lot of the lyrics but reading through them they are absolutley amazing. Quiet and slow songs such as "The Fiction We Live" and "Autmns Monologue" have fantastically emotional lyrics. The lyrics are very clever and its easy to see alot of work has been put into them. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is not as heavy as "Too Bad You're Beautiful" but fans of the first album will defenatly enjoy this album. There isnt one weak track in this album and for fans who loved songs such "Short Stories with Tragic Endings" and "Choloform Perfume" from the last album you will definalty love this one. 01. The After Dinner Payback - this is an amazing opening to the album. Explosive guitar riffs and heavy screaming combined with fantastic melodic backing singing - this is one of the best tracks on the album. 02. Lilacs And Lolita - a great song with a catchy chorus and some great melodies between the two singers. 03. No Trivia - this is one of my favourate songs on the album. This song is not really heavy as Fran sings all the way through and there is no heavy screaming from the lead singer. The chorus is amazing though and is one of the more emo tracks on the album. 04. Milligram Smile - again and amazing song with heavy riffs great screaming harmonies and fantastic dual guitars. 05. The Second Wrong Makes You Feel Right - another good album song. Probably my least favourate song on the album just because nothing really stands out about it compared to the others but still a decent song. 06. Every Reason To - this is a typical FATA song. The opening guitar melody is amazing and is really fast and heavy. The vocals from Fran on this song are great and switch from heart felt screaming to really soft singing. 07. Autumns Monlogue - this song is the only one on the album with the female singer singing all the way through. Lyrically an amazing song with acoustic guitars and a nice use of the piano. 08. Alive Out Of Habit - this my favourate song on the album. It starts off incredibly slow and quiet and then explodes into amazing dual guitars and heavy screaming from both singers. The guitar work on this song is simply stunning. There is also fantastic pauses of quiet and slow melodies in between then crashing back into superb screaming and guitars. Lyrically this song is incredible as well. 09. All I Taste Today Is What's Her Name - another pretty good song with a strong chorus and great use of the double bass. 10. The Fiction We Live - a very beatiful and slow song thats only just over a minute long reminds me of "Short Stories With Tragic Endings." 11. I'm The Best At Ruining My Life - a strong song to the end the album with. Not particulary heavy as again Fran sings most of the way through, but some really nice melodies throughout. Overall this album is amazing and FATA have done an excellent job on every aspect of their songs. // 10