Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount Review

from first to last: Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount
Released: Jun 29, 2004
Genre: Post-Hardcore
Label: Epitaph
It's a right idea, using dense lyricism and inventively propulsive drumming to separate "Diary" from the teeming post-hardcore pack.
 Lyrics: 9.4
 9.4
 9.6
 9.1
Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 25, 2005

Sound: Okay, don't listen to what the other reviews said. FFTL is just down-right amazing. Not that they had bad reviews, but they deserve much more credit than that. For a singer who is only 17, and decided to take a different way of life, than a normal teenager, he pulls it off. There are so many different influences on this record. Every band member listens to different types of music. And that's what's needed to pull together an amazing record like this. There's screaming, singing, amazing guitar solo, and even a little bit of rap. Their sound is something everyone should hear. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are humorus, seriouse, and a little bit creepy. But don't let the creepy turn you away. You can tell that they put a lot of thought into their lyrics, and came up with this and it turned out perfectly. The lyrics go right with the music. And Travis the screamer/guitar player, has the best scream. It goes perfectly with the music, a deep growl, but you can still understand what he's saying. The singer has had three surgeries on his vocal cords, and still sounds good. The other guitarist sings too, and can get higher than any other singer I know of, except maybe Bert from the used. Their two voices go great together, there so different, but so much a like. // 10

Overall Impression: I can't really compare this CD to any other bands, because their sound isnt "different" but I honestly can't find another CD like it. "Kiss Me, I'm Contagious" is an amazing song. So is "Secrets Don't Make Friends." I honestly love everything about this CD, and have not gotten sick of it. If I was walking downtown, and some guy jumped me and took this CD, I would either chase after him, or run to the nearest CD shop and buy it immediatly without hesitation. If you buy the CD, and you arnt into it. Give it some time, it'll grow on you. I promise. I'm not saying go buy their CD right now. Go on Purevolume, or Myspace, and just check out some of their songs. Maybe they aren't the band for you. But the sure fit my desricption of amazing. Look for their new album sometime next year. Also if they're comming to a town near you. Go check them out live. I'm seriouse, you will be blown away. I've seen 'em twice and I still haven't gotten the full effect yet, I know theres more comming, and it won't be anything short of incredible. // 10

Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 24, 2005

Sound: This band sounds fantastic, they are inspired by a lot of different genres and they pull it together within the album to make songs which blend nicely between many genres, and this really pays off. You'll especially adore this album if you've got an open mind when it comes to music. This is an album studded with gems, very original, very metal, very emotional, very likeable. // 10

Lyrics: Oh don't get me started on the lyrics, they are so heartfelt, powerful, strong, emotive. And then when you read the lyrics of 'Ride The Wings...' I love it its so cool. Great lyrics, you really will find no fault in them. And, for geeks like me, they are deep and condensed, just as all lyrics should be. I spent about half an hour sitting on the loo analysing one song in my head, but you didn't need to know that. Or did you? // 10

Overall Impression: It's very original, you won't find many other artists so heavy and yet so soft. If it was lost I wouldn't worry because I've already put it on computer, but hypothetically I'd probably buy it again. Wonderful album, I can't fault it on anything, buy it and rock out! // 10

Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount Reviewed by: TheRattle§nake, on january 28, 2006

Sound: When I first heard these guys album I was blown away. They combine all the elements of punk and emo and are completely different than any other band in its genre. Almost every member of the ban sings and plays different parts and they work together to make it so perfect. They have songs that are more hardcore like the more screamo hardcore song "Kiss Me I'm Contagious" and then they have a more Emo directed song called "Emily" and every song in between such as "Secrets Don't Make Friends" apparently Emily is the lead vocalists past girlfriend who has died in a car accident. // 10

Lyrics: Sonny Moore is a visionary. His lyrics mean so much and he sings them so well I die every time I hear one of their songs. They are so powerful and amazing. This guy is only 17 and he had several vocla cord operations but still sounds amazing. This band has breathtaking lyrics that are very clever such as in the "Ride The Wings Of Pestilence" song "I'll wear your skin as a suit, pretend to be you, your friends will like you more than they used to." They have some pretty dark lyrics like that but very emotional. // 10

Overall Impression: You know when you first buy an album and its so great you listen to it like crazy like every night and then eventually you buy something new and dont listen to it that often? Well for me I did listen to this album every day for hours and when I buy more CDs I still listen to this one the most, that is how great this band is. If I would have lost or scratched this album up so that it wouldn't play anymore I would totally buy another one, but that's not going to happen beacuse I have all the songs on mp3 and my computer. // 10

Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 22, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is really good. I read an article in a magazine that described their music perfectly "emo with teeth, sceamo with beef, metal with grief." From First To Lat mix all these elements to produce a great sounding album. // 10

Lyrics: I gave the lyrics a 4 because to tell you the truth, some of the lyrics are just down right creepy. For instance the song "Ride The Wings Of Pestilence" which has a verse "Dreaming about you in a pool of your own blood. Your eyes gouged out by the work of my thumbs" But From First To Lat still knows how to right a good song as evident on "Secrets Don't Make Friends." // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is a good album. My favourite tracks on the album are "Secrets Don't Make Friends" and "Featuring Some Of Your Favourite Words." There is still some work for FFTL to do before they can have a flawless album but overall this album is quite satisfying. If this CD were lost or stolen I would probably not buy it again. I would just burn it instead. // 10

Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount Reviewed by: Rockytoilet, on august 09, 2005

Sound: Possibly the best album name ever and with more strange turns than Spaghetti Junction. As the name suggests its suitably teen angsty and has a very raw, new band sound. Keeping the trend with cool names "The One Armed Boxer. Vs. The Flying Guillotine" sets the scence fitting ideas for about three songs into one. A more conventional "Note To Self" follows. And the just plain strange electro infused, yet not ultimatly excellent, "I liked you better before you where naked on the internet," drags the listener everywhere. Plenty of metal tracks have been packed into here, most notably "Ride The Wings Of Pestilence," which is an absolutly awesome track, from its quiet bridges, shreddign verses and soaring chorus and head banding intro. Their are two acoustic songs in the form of the heart wrenched "Emily" to the guitar solo or "Minuet," which any serious acoustic guitarist should learn. // 10

Lyrics: At times the lead singer sounds like a strangled hamster, but manages to pull it off, but this could annoy some. There's plenty of screaming to be had and some of the best lyrics I've heard. Subjects range from long distant relationships, cowboys, whores and the mind of a serial killer. // 8

Overall Impression: A wonderful album for the youth, but don't expect any old school rock influences here. // 10

Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 11, 2005

Sound: These guys are great. Really fast guitars and drums, very high-energy and catchy. Some songs are heavy, some soft, and they pull it off very nicely. They're not one of those bands who can only do one style of music good. They even brought in a bit of rap for the hidden track "Dead Baby Kickball." There are two acoustic songs on the disc that are both wonderful. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are excellent. My favorite lyrics were the ones from "Kiss Me, I'm Contagious" about a western outlaw. There are multilple layers of vocals in all the songs which works out well. A lot of screaming bands bug me, but the screaming vocals on this CD are great. I thought it was funny how in the credits they put "throat" instead of "vocals." // 10

Overall Impression: This band is unlike anything I've heard before. I may be missing some other band like it, I don't know. There's an excellent mix of heavy, punk, alternative, and hardcore all in one. If it were stolen or lost, it wouldn't matter because I've already bought three copies of it. // 10

Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount Reviewed by: TBSFreak05, on october 10, 2005

Sound: From First To Last are a great hardcore, punk band. Pleasing fans of fast pace rock, to slower tempos of acoustics. FFTL use a roaring guitar style incoorperating the use of pinch harmonics and awesome palm mutes. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in From First To Last range from the emo style to a more hardcore lyric. The vocals of Sonny Moore along with the vocals and screaming of the other band mates brings the songs together and matches perfectly the ripping guitars and speeding drums. // 9

Overall Impression: From First To Last's debut album is amazing. A second album from FFTL would fix the very few flaws of this album. One of the most impressive songs on the album is Emily. The acoustic guitar is written wonderful and is very catchy. The lyrics make the song undeniably awesome. I would definately buy this album again if it were lost. // 9

Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount Reviewed by: TheGimpMaster01, on december 15, 2005

Sound: This album's sound is very hard punk, basically. It's bass drum heavy, with rolls and fast pedaling. It is very well done, though. The guitars are not overpowering while having a sure presence. The drums are cymbal-strong, but somehow their presence is made obvious, yet they aren't too loud to make it ugly. The guitars have very good mixes of distortion, overdrive, and cleanliness. If you want to make good tabs, this band's music is definitly the one to do them from. The keys in this band's album are different, and the chord progressions are different from most things you've ever heard before. // 9

Lyrics: The singer has amazing range and certainly he knows what he's doing. The multi-voiced parts of the album are great. The lyrics are like poetry, emotional but simple and clean. The singer screams but it's not ugly (another thing which is hard to achieve). // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is amazing and is definitly worth every penny. I believe they have an earlier disc out called Aesthetic. I have heard music from it too and it is no worse than this one. The best song from this album is definitly either Ride The Wings of Pestillence or The One Armed Boxer Vs. The Flying Guillotine. Don't ever steal this album from me, or else I'll hunt you down and stick a keyboard up yours. And then I'd buy a new disc becuase somebody put their dirty paws on my kick ass CD. // 10

Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2006

Sound: The sound of FFTL is different. It has a very unique sound, which makes the CD even more appeling to me. The best way I have ever heard them described is emo/screemo. This band isn't like most emo bands, like Fall Out Boy or My Chemical Romance, or many of the screemo bands, like Hawthorne Heights or Atreyu. Lead singer Sonny Moore sings similar to an emo band, and Travis Richter and Matt Good backing him with roaring screams. The CD is a masterpiece. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are as well, different and unique. It's not everyday you hear "I'm a mess of insecurities/ Attention starved with a narcissist twist/Don't you think that I'm amazing?/Please tell me I'm worth dating/I have every reason not to leave home today" ina cd. There lyrics are bold, and have a bit of a twist in them. Some are dark and some are light, such as some parts in the song "Emily" stating that he loves her and she keeps him happy. The lyrics in this cd are better than any other emo or screemo band. // 10

Overall Impression: THere is absolutely no way to compare this abnd to anyother bands really. They are in a genre themselves. They are different from everyday. There isn't just one impressive song on this CD the entire thing is impressive. I love the vocals, music, lyrics, everything about it. The only thing I do not like is there isn't more to listen to. I would 10 copies of this cd just to make sure if I ever lost it I could still listen to it. This CD is wonderful and the guys in the band are great. // 10

Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount Reviewed by: NDXROX, on april 10, 2006

Sound: The sound of From First To Last is quite unique! You don't really hear any music like From First To Last. The guitars have aweosome effects, it has a great blending of two people singing the main vocals, and I love the drums in this CD! It's energetic and so unique. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics can be creepy, but if you really listen, then you can hear the feeling and the meaning of the words. The way the singer uses his voice to fit in with the music is amazing. These lyrics though, are definitely not like the normal stuff. The whole singing part in "Emily" is totally amazing. The words are deep, and at the same time, Sonny is screaming during a slow acoustic ballad. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to other bands in the emo/punk/hardcore industry, From First To Last blows them away! "Ride The Wings Of Pestilence", "Emily", "Note To Self", "I Like You Better Before You Were Naked On The Internet" and "Secrets Don't Make Friends" are probably the best songs on the album in my opinion. If this CD we're ever stolen or lost, I would definitely buy it again! This CD is totally amazing! // 10

Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount Reviewed by: irockonguitar, on may 04, 2006

Sound: I love from first to last, everything about them is awesome, the guitarists are great, the drummer is great, the bassist is great and dont even get me started on sonny, he's great in every way (not in a gay way though). This was Sonny's first album with the band after their old vocalist left (I dunno why) and one of the guitarist was gunna be the vocalist so they asked Sonny to play guitar. Then Sonny was singing one of the songs and they notised he was great so he became the vocalist. From First To Last are a great band and they have their own sound wich is great. // 10

Lyrics: Sonny Moore is a very talented vocalist and the lyrics to the songs on the album are very cool. The lyrics really go well with the guitars, then the guitars go well with the drums and bass, everything goes together well). // 10

Overall Impression: My favorite songs on the CD are One Armed Boxer and The Flying Guillotine, Emily, Note To Self, Ride The Wings Of Pestilence, Kiss Me I'm Contagios. Don't get me wrong, all the songs are great on the album. I love everything about this album and if I lost it I'd definatly buy it again without thought. // 10

Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount Reviewed by: boyan89, on july 27, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is absolutely mindblowing and incredible for a band that has members around the ages of 18-24 it is pretty amazing. The guitars on this album are amazing for a hardcore/punk band I mean Matt and Travis are really talented guitar players and it shows when they play the songs on this album. The bass on this album is insane especially when the bassist does some little bass interludes sometimes in the songs and I find that those little bass interludes are really cool. Derek is one talented I swear to god his drumming is mindblowing and asskicking and it blows me away everytime I hear him pounding those things. // 10

Lyrics: Sonny Moore is one talented songwriter and he is one of the best in the history of modern music in my opinion. The lyrics on this album are not emo at all I mean stabbing your girlfriend doesnt sound really emo to me does it. Sonny Moore can sing about anything to saying how Secrets Dont Make Friends which by the way is absolutely true and how he just misses his gf. I also really love it when the other band members and when the bassist screams I find it is really cool. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is uncorapable to any other album out there today because FFTL fused different genres of music into one thing that came out like this. I don't have any favourite songs on this album because all of them kick complete major ass. I love everything about this album and hate nothing about it. If it were stolen/lost I would defenitely buy it again because it is one of my favourite albums in my cd collection right now. I would recommend this album to almost anyone in the world because it is one of those album you surely want to get and please just buy it when you go to your local music store. // 10

Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount Reviewed by: Killingthecat69, on may 17, 2007

Sound: This CD has left an ever-lasting impression on me. I love it. To From First to Last this CD was an inside joke against Teen Angst. They made it in two weeks and it's still an amazing CD. The vocals blend well together. Matt Good and Sonny Moore mix together like no other vocalists I've heard in a while. While the bass lines and guitars sound amazing as well. The sound of this music isn't really who they wanted to be though. They wanted to dis teen angst so they did. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics range from various topics. Some being about how bands will sit there and write a song about the same meaning over and over (Featuring Some Of Your Favorite Words) and about loving a girl (Emily) or something either obvious or subliminal lyrics(ride the wings of pestilience. The Singing alternates between four members of the band but two scream awesomely and two sing, altogether it's amazing. The lyrics match what they were aiming for on this CD. // 9

Overall Impression: You really can't compare this to Aesthetic because they have different vocalists. Everyone knows if you change vocalists you change the band completely so I'm not going to compare the two. My favorite songs on the album would have to be Kiss Me, I'm Contagious, and Ride The Wings Of Pestilence. I love this album because they made it all a joke to themselves while leading everyone on thinking that they were serious about it. If it were stolen or if I lost it, I would buy it again. // 10

Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount Reviewed by: Jaba Wockiez, on february 10, 2009

Sound: Florida's own From First to Last's Debut album Dear Diary, My Teen Angst has a Bodycount is a Flurry of Banging Drums, Sweet Guitar licks, and Tantilizing Vocals.The whole CD's Sound is Hair raising from start to finish.I think that the message in the beginning of the 1st song Soliloquy is what they expect you to hear and devrive from their music saying,"Hello World, suck your life from my voice and breathe it back into yourselves."which to me means to interpret your own meaning from this music so you can like it every time you listen to it.But the whole records bomb from songs like "Note to Self" to "Kiss Me, I'm Contagious".And what a Tricky Move bringing in a Fifthteen year old Kid from California to Record on it even though he wasn't supposed to, but somethings in life just happen.Their Sound I'd have to say is a Deffinant post-hardcore sound compared to other bands I've heard in that category.But their music makes you feel different every time you hear it.There's probably no chance that any part in that whole CD should be changed because every song is pure gold material, I think they should have had more singles than just 2 but every record they write changes in sound and mood.If I had a list of CD's you had to hear before you die, I'd put this probably close to the Top because it's just that good of a record. the recording is really great it's more balanced out than their second album.Even 5 years after the record was written I still feel the same as when I heard it the first time. Go buy this Record it will grow on you. // 10

Lyrics: When I first heard the Vocals and Lyrics off of FFTL's Debut I litteraly gasped and said,"Damn!".Sonny Moore's Vocals are pure Genius combined with Matt Good's Lyrics.Every song is a masterpiece, for Matt and Travis to write the whole CD in 2 weeks. Sonny's Vocals are rougue and unexpirienced with Matt's Vocals being high pitched at times and melodic, the 2 voices are really different but perfectly sounding in synch.Some of the songs that use their signature double singing are heard in "Note to Self","Featuring some of your Favorite Words", and "Ride the Wings of Pestilence".Their Double singing could only be heard on this album from their other CD's, Heroine(2006), From First to Last(2008). The Lyrics with the Music sounds incredibly perfect with each other, and each song sounds really good with all of the band members just doin their part.I think people say that the band sucks now that Sonny left but they still are great writers with Lyrics that open your mind to a canvas where they paint you a picture. // 10

Overall Impression: Here's the Breakdown of the whole CD for you and what I think about it: 01.Soliloquy: as an Opening Track..It Speaks for Itself.It tells you to listen to the CD, Love it, then really get into the songs and see what you think they mean, a lot of bands don't really do that and expect you to already know that. 02.The One Armed Boxer V.s. The Flying Guillotine: to be Truthful I didn't even Know the song started yet at the Beginning until all the Instruments came in the First Time I Heard it, but really great supporting song to the album but the Lyrics kinda Sucked. 03.Note to Self: probably one of their most played and Widely Known Songs in their Setlist the Songs talking about to get real and stop hanging onto the past but if the past does come back to haunt you take it back why not? at least to me that's what it means don't get mad if I'm wrong, the song is the 2nd single off their Debut and the Video of a man at the Asylum is Sic. 04.I liked you Better before you were Naked on the Internet: this song is more for the Techno Lovers as it contains no actual Instruments except Bass, it's meaning is that Love can Hurt You and leave you Scared probably written after someone was just in a Relationship, not really one of my Favorites but good Lyrics. 05.Featuring some of your Favorite Words: to me one of the Best Songs on the Whole Album.Its talking about how you can put your life on a page but never fully understand the feeling that's put into it, really great song. 06.Emily: wow for an Acoustic it's pretty awesome.Probably one of the only songs that only Sonny sings on alone.If you hear it closely the singing is done in a big place, like a Gym, or a Tunnel hypathetically speaking.but at the end you can hear someone walking out of a building.The songs pretty self explanitory because it's about a girl or something compared to a girl that you really like and saying there's no one like you. 07.Secrets don't make Friends: it's one of the songs that start off with sound effects then gets really noisy and then gets kinda Technical with different parts.Another self explanitory song with the Title, the song means that someone stabbed you in the back and hurt you by telling lies to other People.really great song though and love the acoustic transition in the middle of it. 08.Populace in Two: another Love Song that starts with sound effects and the only song off their debut with a 10 second guitar solo.Sonny pours his heart out in the song and in the end it's really good, really well written with good lyrics. 09.Kiss Me, I'm Contagious: one of the most Whacky songs on the album, it's talkin about the Wild West and how they used to have stand offs at noon basically but it's really a strong song. 10.Minuet: the only instrumental song on the whole album, can't really say much about it, but a really good song 11.Ride the Wings of Pestilence: to me the Best song on the Entire record this song explodes with power and the lyrics so menacing, the songs about how a man kills a women and hides her body parts in his walls, the 1st single off their debut amazing. 12.Hidden Track(Dead Baby Kickback): really goofy song with Major League Player doing a collaboration in it.The song was supposed to be a B-side but the Band Sasoin secretly Remixed the Album with the Track on it, The Remix has the song ending at 5 min which 2 min at the End being strange sounds and saying f--k You Reapeadedly. The Whole album was great if it was lost I'd definately go buy it again but don't take the my meaning from these songs. // 10

Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount Reviewed by: thetobarmethod, on november 28, 2012

Sound: FFTL is a Post-Hardcore band from Florida, their debut is "Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount". The sound is pretty good if your into this type of music but compared to FFTL's peers, they come out as a top tier act, with alot to show why. Sonny Moores distressed vocals pave the instruments forward while Travis' and Matt's guitar work drives the rest and keeps them in line. Drumming is top notch and well focused, never out of place, and not a single beat is missed or off in the slightest. Its impressive considering the complexity of his drumming in comparison to what would be the minimum necessary for the music itself. The one bright, stand out feature in this album, is the vocal melodies layering. One melody in a higher pitch, with 2 or 3 lower ones behind it give a very interesting hyper-melodic hook in nearly every song. Alot of aggression, alot of energy, and alot of melody all in one place is hard to find in this genre, especially this sporadically focused. A great song, and all but one song on this record is just short of perfect, honest, post-hardcore. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are probably the least interesting usually in music, but not on this album. All throughout the album Sonny and Matt keep their vocal crosshairs trained on themes of anxiety, anger, and just overall emotional neutrality. But the strange part, is how its delivered. Instead of just bleeding through from one track to the next, the delivery is extremely poetic and witty. Even funny in some circumstances. Yes there are very heavy "Emo" stylings in the words since they are wrapped and doused in metaphors. His voice matches the music spot on, and never out of place. Even on the acoustic ballad "Emily", despite its soft, emotional feel, Sonny manages to belt his full volume voice with utmost precision, even throws a scream in which surprisingly fits as well. Overall Sonny was a great singer with alot of potential before he blew his chords and prior to becoming Skrillex. // 7

Overall Impression: In the end, FFTL's debut is very strong, efficient, and cool. Its one of the few gems in the sea of the Emotional music scenes that doesn't bore you after one full rotation. The best songs from the record are of course the hits "Note To Self" and "Ride The Wings Of Pestilence", but also "Secrets Don't Make Friends", "The One Armed Boxer Vs. The Flying Guillotine" and "Featuring Some Of Your Favorite Words". I can't really list any negatives about this album besides that some people may not be into it. I have a digital copy so I guess it can't really be stolen. // 8