From First To Last Review

from first to last: From First To Last
Released: May 6, 2008
Genre: Post-Hardcore, Alternative Rock
Label: Suretone, Interscope
From First to Last is the self-titled third album by From First to Last, released on May 6, 2008. "Worlds Away" is the album's first single, which hit the radio on March 17.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 7.6
 8.4
 6.7
From First To Last Reviewed by: andrewjf, on may 06, 2011

Sound: FFTL's transition from the Sonny Moore era to the four piece era starts with an unexpected style. The songs feature a mix of alternative pop rock, with some edges of post-hardcore. Nothing most of us anticipated or expected after the release of "Heroine". Matt's singing however, steals your ears with great clean vocals. And the harmonies & screams thrown in by Travis and Manning puts more depth to Matt's vocals. The guitar work on this album is probably what stands out the most. With energetic, original, sometimes even catchy & heavy riffs, it pulls you in and keeps you listening and craving more. // 8

Lyrics: The guitar work and vocals are great, but the lyrics to the album are the weak point. Going to a mainstream sound, the lyrics are more radio-friendly and less emotional, and at times flat-out boring. In my opinion, it seems that the lyrics tackle the subjects of living your life to the fullest and make the most of everything. Great message, but not really something that will attract FFTL fans and keep them listening. With all this said, I personally like the songs, and I'm always listening. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, FFTL fans who can live with change will love this album. I love the guitar riffs, the singing and the bass lines. Lyrics may lack interesting subjects, but I can't stop listening. This band has always been original to themselves though. I think maybe the songs that stands out the most on this album is "Deliverence!" and "Two As One". Both have catchy & poppy lyrics mixed with interesting and heavy guitar riffs and singing. If lost, I would buy it again. // 8

From First To Last Reviewed by: Anvil pants, on november 26, 2008

Sound: From first to last seems to want to change their sound on every disk, their first EP was scene emo, their first disk was kinda scene emo but actually good, while their second disk was dark post hardcore. This CD is hard to put into a genre because there's so much on it. There's a little scene emo here, little hardcore, little rock and roll, it's all different. Even though I wish they would have stayed with the dark post hardcore sound of heroine, there new sound isn't too bad, it's just the fact they keep changing so much. The music I have to be honest falls in a lot of places, I just have to turn off songs like "Medicinal Reality" because it just sucks so bad. But songs like "otherside" and "a perfect mess" are amazing! some of the best songs they have ever done, but still there is a lot of filler on this disk.surprisingly they incorperate a lot of new effects and breakdowns that I haven't heard before(the guitar solo of a perfect mess is one of the best creative guitar parts I've ever heard)but it sorta seems sometimes that they wrote songs as if they were like "I want to have this solo in it because it's cool, but I don't care if the rest of the song sucks." But the overall sound is a lot poppier then what they've done before, I don't want to say this is the "sell out" record, but the first single "worlds away" I know was just written to make a single. The sound of this record is different, not bad, just different. you have to find your taste for it like I did. // 9

Lyrics: Many people say that FFTL suck now that sonny has left and the vocals would suck without him, but actually the lyrics and vocals are not what's the problem with the disk. Matt good and travis richter do an amazing job at singing and screaming, in fact I thing they do a much better job than sonny, sonny sounded too weak while matt and travis make the vocals more stronger and pulled together. There is a lot less screaming on this disk, but when there is screaming, everyone screams so it's overall much better. The lyrics are not as well written as other records, at least on some songs, and I wonder why because most of the bands songs were written by Matt good. there are a few parts here and there where the lyrics and vocal parts don't fit in, but they aren't bad, like I said the problem with this disk isn't the lead singer or the lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm not going to say that this disk sucks or is really terrible because honestly it isn't, it's just really different from their other stuff, which happens every album, they like to change things up. Even though it sounds different, there is no excuse for a couple of the songs on here that suck really really bad, they are so bad that you will be able to notice the good ones when you hear it. Songs like "Be-headed" "the other side" and "In Memorium in Advance" are so much better than most of the songs. while I like their changes(like having an acoustic song at the end that is actually really good) I dislike their song "Deliverance!" so much, it sounds like they tried to do ska music, but didn't know what ska is, but I like the fact they took chances. overall it's a pretty alright album, I like it, but I would like FFTL to put a lot more time and effort into their next album, because they are an amazing awesome band, but this CD doesn't show it very often like the amazing lyrics of dear diary or the freaking awesomeness music of heroine. I think they need to figure out their sound more.but I would buy this album, even if you don't like the songs or their style, some parts of the songs are really amazing. // 10