Heroine Review

from first to last: Heroine
Release Date: Mar 21, 2006
Label: Epitaph/Ada
Genres: Post-Hardcore
"Heroine" showcases a band evolving; reaching past their post-hardcore roots and into metal, industrial, and emo with the most creative and genre-busting material they've ever recorded.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.4
 8.9
 7.9
Heroine Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 21, 2006

Sound: This CD is totally different from Dear Diary, I'll tell you that right now. Be prepared for a different sound, instrumentally and vocally. Their music really didn't impress me much, instead of gaining I think they lost their touch a little bit, but they still held on, and I actually enjoyed the styles they used. I think they could've done a better job with this album, because on some of the songs, like The Levy, it sounds like it was slapped together in five minutes, but you can tell they spent more time on songs like World War Me, because it has a whole lot better tone quality, and the vocals don't sound too scratchy. // 5

Lyrics: From First to Last definitely improved on their lyrics, like on World War Me, where he's talking about, how people starve themselves and take pity in themselves, and on Mothersound, he talks about how people do things for other people to get them to like them. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I thought the album was pretty decent, but could've used a whole lot more work, cause I've heard Ross Robinson produce better than this. Download a couple of their songs and if you like their new sound, then get it, but if you don't then well don't. I would probably get this CD again if it was ever lost or stolen. // 8

Heroine Reviewed by: plumbsj, on april 25, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album differs vastly from FFTL's debut, 'Dear Diary...' Since releasing the highly acclaimed debut, they have lost a member, their bassist leaving in an abrupt mannor and posting angry messages up on the bands myspace. No matter though, as from FFTL have hit back harder than ever. They explored a whole new area of music on their second album, and it is a massive step forward for them in my opinion. It is still typical FFTL, you still have the metal licks on guitar, the ambitious structures, insane drums and of course, Sonny's voice. This was a major opinion splitter on the previous album, and while it is still unmistakebly Sonny Moore you can hear singing, his voice has matured somewhat and this has helped to soften his voice, as well as make it stronger. If you hated it first time around, however, this wont change your mind. The general sound of this album can only be described as 'weird'. The band use unobvious melodies, dischordant guitar lines, and aim to create a 'sound'. It is hard to pick out exactly what the band is doing musically, but it all fits beautifully. It is by no means an instantly accessable album, and my first lesson left me thinking 'that was awesome, but I cant remember any of it!' It grows on you however, and there is much to be found beneath the surface. // 9

Lyrics: Sonny's voice is a love it or hate it affair, as is he, himself. Sonny has had to suffer a lot of adoration and hatred as a result of the first album, and his status within the 'scene'. The criticism he has recieved has obviously affected him, and on tracks like 'Waltz Moore' he reveals his true feelings and the inner turmoil he has suffered. Whatever you think of him, you cannot deny that he is wearing his heart on his sleeve. The rest of the lyrics draw heavily from this, but also the scene in general. They almost tell the story of FFLT, and highlight the change in sound that the scene needed, and they delivered. 'Mothersound' is possibly talking about this. The only downside is that these are not the easiest lyrics to relate to for most people, although we can share Sonny's pain. // 8

Overall Impression: The album is a massive step in the right direction for FFLT, they have left the scene that made them, and are a better band because of it. The band themselves confessing, 'if we made another Dear Diary, we probably wouldnt still be a band'. Opener 'Mothersound', 'The latest plague', the new single and 'Waltz Moore' are standout tracks for me. But each holds its own virtues. The album is ambitious, and doesnt use obvious hooks, and takes a few listens to fully be appreciated. The only criticisms I can have is that the album perhaps lacks some of the enegry of their debut, the songs being more slow paced and heartfelt. This is a matter of opinion however, and I stongly reccomend you buy it, even if you were not a fan previously. This is an album everyone should own. // 9

Heroine Reviewed by: abandonedcars, on april 12, 2006

Sound: Heroine is definately different than Dear Diary. Everything from the sound to the lyrics has changed. Much more electronic stuff going on. Much heavier. Much darker. Alot more emotion. Sonny's voice is alot more worn out, as you can tell, giving it a certain edge you don't hear that much. There's definately a lot more distortion on this album. They definately kicked up the effects. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on Heroine have become alot darker. Dear Diary was "Like a joke, but you couldn't tell if they were kidding or not." You can feel their emotion, like in The Levy, "Rise Rise Rise To Fall," portrays how people try so hard to get to the top only to be disapointed. They definately didn't beat around the bush this time. // 8

Overall Impression: I bought this CD after they went on tour w/Hawthorne Heights, Fall out boy, and The All-American Rejects. I was familiar with their older stuff, but this CD completely blew my mind. I had never heard anything like this. I had become accustomed to the fast paced beat of Derek's drums and the melodic guitars that wove in and out of each other. So it was pretty sweet. Good CD. I suggest listening to it first, it not might be exactly what your looking for. // 8

Heroine Reviewed by: irockonguitar, on may 01, 2006

Sound: This album is great, I'll never get bored of it, the sound is amazing, the vocals are amazing, the drummer kiks ass, the guitarists go together well, you can acctually hear the bassist (sometimes you can't like some Trivium songs), there just the best band ever in my opinion. They have a little style of their own going and it's brilliant. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are sometimes a bit stupid like on Waltz Moore were it goes "I can't eat anything without shovimg my hands down my throught" but then it fixes that with the vocals "I'm standing in the mirror looking back st the perdon I hate." Sonny Moore has a great voice and he is only 18! // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion at the moment I wouldn't be able to live without this album, I listen to it every day and I know most of the lyrics to it (I would appreciate it if some cool people did some more tabs of songs of this CD). My fav songs are Waltz Moore, World War Me and Afterbirth because they're awesome, tthere is just something about them that makes you stop and listen instantly. I love everything about this album and if I broke it or lost it I would definatly buy it again. // 10

Heroine Reviewed by: the_messenger66, on august 16, 2007

Sound: I was only a short-time fan of From First to Last before "Heroine" came out, and heard "The Latest Plague." On the internet just after the CD came out, and was completely blown away by it. It was very unique and triggered a new concept of how deep From First to Last could be. This CD gave a sense of something that was very much involved in making this album, but it's hard to find out what it is. The Guitars are nice and deep, the solo on Mothersound is overwhelming to me. The louder Rhythm guitar is very powerful, but not quite powerful enough to cover up the lead, which seems to be FFTL's style. And the bass is incredible. Just heavy. My only complaint is that there's a lot of chords, instead if single note riffs I like. // 8

Lyrics: Sonny's songwriting is defiantly different than from their last album. Sonny's is metaphoric and sings in riddles a lot. Since he had his vocal surgery, his voice sounds different. It's sometimes hard to tell he's the same person as the last album. There is a theme of self-hatred, being abused and neglected. 01. Mothersound - a song which seems to be about how music is being simplified and taken for granted. 02. The Latest Plague - about a kid in a society that has lost it's individuality, and how he rebels against it. 03. ...And We All Have A Hell - lust at it's creepiest and most tormenting views. About the shame in sex and a lustful mind. "Tonight I'll make my way into your house/I must; I'm lusting for your body/Skin looks tight, think I just might have/To take a bite, but I know one will turn/To three or four or more my little whore." 04. Afterbirth - about Sonny realizing that he was adopted, And that his real parents were close friends of his foster parents. 05. World War Me - the fear of being fat, and the attributes, good and bad, of having an eating disorder. "No food for weeks I've never felt better/We look better famished girl/Hightail to the lush escape, /And leave our filthy world away." 06. Shame Shame - don't really know. I still have to figure it out. 07. The Crows Are Coming For Us - ok, this seems to be vaguely about a girl whose been exhausted by being entered in beauty pageant her whole life, and blame her demise on her mother. "You wore me out so proudly/Hidden in the glitter is the real thing, real." 08. The Levy - is about jumping off a building to you death. "Rise, rise, rise to fall/I never cared, never cared to try until now/To find home/The distance grows as the ground approaches." 09. Waves Goodbye - drowning? 10. Waltz Moore - Sonny's self-hatred of having to keep an image (and figure) because he's the "voice of the generation." He hates he last to look good, even when he thinks he doesn't, the torment by people who hate him, and so on. 11. Heroine - about missing your mother, and about what he has become. I love the fact how we have to figure out what each song means. // 9

Overall Impression: From First to Last took a huge leap in ground breaking on what music can do. They aren't "that emo band" anymore. The switched their tuning to Drop C, lost a bassist, and the vocal style and sound has been changed. They took a huge risk in this album, and it seemed to have worked out. I love this album, it's defiantly in my top five albums of all time. "The Latest Plague" is in my top five songs of all time (it's passed the three-digit marker on my play count). But I hate that this is the last album with Sonny. He will be missed. If I lost this CD, I would buy it again. // 10

Heroine Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 11, 2006

Sound: The overall sound on this disc is miles away from that of their first CD. I can see where one might not go for this different sound, but I love it. Each track has a slight techno-ish sound to it that gives the CD as a whole a very haunting sound. The heavily-distorted guitars and double bass are still there, but more layered. There isn't really a point where the album slows down, like with "Emily" on Dear Diary. I usually don't go for CDs that are completely heavy all the way through, but this one pulls it off very nicely. // 9

Lyrics: There is a lot less screaming on Heroine, and when there is screaming it's blended into the background, such as on "...And We All Have A Hell". Sonny definitely has most of the vocals which, to me, is better than the alternating vocals of the first disc. There are a lot of interesting effects done with Sonny's voice, too, which is another interesting effect. // 9

Overall Impression: Heroine is just too different from Dear Diary to compare the two. Both discs are unique and both are very good. I think I'd prefer Heroine of the two just for the fact that it's very unpredictable, with its wide range of effects and sounds. I did not buy this CD because the store was sold out of it and I just couldn't wait, but I will probably buy it as soon as I can. Not everyone will like it, I'm sure, but this could be my new favorite CD for a very long time. // 10

Heroine Reviewed by: thevexation, on august 16, 2006

Sound: FFTL have definitely matured since "Dear Diary..." as this album is heavier, darker, and overall much more serious than the previous. Without a doubt, every single musician in that band is talented in his craft. There is a lot of synth used in this album, especially on "Waves Goodbye", which is a complete synthetic mess. It does add an overall moody feel to the album. "Mothersound" opens the album off with a bang, it being the hardest, most powerful song on the album whilst the songs generally get slower as the album progresses ("World War Me" is an exception to this pattern) and "Waltz Moore" hits with another bang. "Heroine", the title track, closes it off nicely and smoothly and compliments "Waltz Moore" really well, giving it a clean touch and supplementing the meaning. "And we All have a Hell"(I know, I'm jumping around) is the catchiest song on the album, and frankly, it's a very kinky portrait with an awesome catch phrase("by morning her soul will be gone, gone, gone, gone"). FFTL have definitely created a completely new sound for themselves with this album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are definitely shallow at times, specific areas include "Waves Goodbye"(breathing is the hardest thing I do) and "Waltz Moore" (and I refuse to meet the world without smearing on makeup with my hair blinding my eyes). "Waltz Moore", although about inner turmoils and self-esteem issues that frankly, everyone has at one point or another in their lives, is the quintessential angsty emo kid anthem, all that needs to be done is it be released as a single(hopefully that does not happen, it's a great song with a meaning to it, no need for emo kids to misinterpret it as making self-loathing/harm cool). "World War Me" is a true portrayal of hardcore anorexics, they may WANT to change but they're desperate, unfortunate, and stuck in the cycle. They are at constant war against themselves, and have ruled their spirit passive. This song could also portray any kind of harmful addiction, or an abusive relationship. There is only screaming in "Mothersound", "The Latest Plague", and "World War Me", no split vocals though, completely Sonny singing. I would give lyrics a 7.5, but this thing doesn't allow for decimals. // 8

Overall Impression: Comparing this to FFTL's other album, "Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has a Body Count", I would choose the other one simply because of the more lighthearted approach to that one, it's not something you find that often in emo/post-hardcore music nowadays. They're two completely different albums though, don't expect something similar. "Mothersound" would be my personal favorite song for both the tune and how the lyrics portray changing self to impressing someone as impressing a sound. That brings to light how truly ridiculous doing so really is, whether it be impressing a person or satisfying the norm of a "scene". FFTL definitely brings something new to the table with this album, and although I was dissapointed with parts of this album, FFTL remains one of the greatest bands of all time in my eyes. If it were lost/stolen, I would buy it again if I had the money. // 9

Heroine Reviewed by: Killingthecat69, on may 14, 2007

Sound: Where would I start with the new sound of the album? It's just so much different from that of Dear Diary. To tell you the truth it sounds like they tried to pull of a nu-metal sound but it's just so different you can't classify them under anything. The sound of the album goes from somewhat heavy down to mellow as you progress through it. Starts of with the more upbeat songs like Mothersound and And We All Have A Hell to mellow like Waves Goodbye and Heroine. The instrumentals are amazing and well thought out. Their sound has matured greatly since Dear Diary. Personally I love to see bands develop like this. Ross Robinson did a terrific job of trying to create that dark sound FFTL was aiming for. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics spread from a wide range of topics. Mothersound being about what music has become, and Waltz Moore is about Sonny's fight with the pressures of looking good for the press and being self-conscious. The lyrics definitely match their style of music and themselves as well. Sonny Moore is a really advanced lead singer. He sings a lot more in this album and I find that amazing. Considering, he's went through a few surgeries. // 9

Overall Impression: The overall impression of this cd?? It left me in awe. Completely didn't expect it, but you have to love it. Most people will probably have to give it a few listens first. The most impressive songs would have to be And We All Have A Hell and Heroine, shows the true side of FFTL. I would buy this CD again if it were stolen/lost. // 10

Heroine Reviewed by: KeithIsOnFire, on june 14, 2007

Sound: The overal sound of this album has changed dramatically since that of 'Dear Diary,' it covers a much wider range of styes but industrial rock/metal seems to be the best overall description. However the vocals of Sonny Moore remain the cornerstone of the bands distinctive sound along with buzzsaw like guitars and driving drums. I would place The levy, Afterbirth and World War me as the standout tracks on an instrumental level, however it is not without its flaws as quite often the overall sound is muddied by uneven guitar levels and in certain songs the production is threadbare to say the least. However this is a young band who were clearly determined to push their creative boundaries on this album and credit is indeed due. Sonny Moore has clearly improved his vocal range and while personally i find his voice to be a defineing feature of the band its quality is often disputed by critics and fans alike. // 8

Lyrics: Sonny has without a doubt improved his vocal ability since the days of FFTL debut 'Dear Diary.' In some songs such as the Levy and World War Me it is clear that Sonny alone is carrying the song. Overall the lyrics are your typical emo fare but fans may finf it harder to relate to to that of 'Dear Diary' i deals more with the effect the past 3 years had on Sonny and the pressures of fame and modern life more than the formers more accesible themes of love and death. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall i enjoyed this album and would definatly reccomend it for anybody into industrial rock. The closest comparison i can make soundwise is its a ratio of 2.1 between sonic youth and NIN. Waltz Moore, World War Me and Heroine are the standout tracks from the album as they boast the best lyrical quality, production and colective sound but everybody who listens to Heroine will relate to each track in a different manner. // 9

Heroine Reviewed by: bmxsulli, on february 01, 2008

Sound: This is one of the greatest sounding albums of all time. Easily. The songs are so complex and tight, but still sound so natural. This is truely a work of art. From the spine grinding screams to the mellow acoustics, the music is just pure perfection. Every song is unique and different from anything you've ever heard before. It's simply a work of art. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very moving. Very intelligent. Somewhat disturbing at times haha, but you truely get a great sence of reality from singer Sonny Moore's vocals. He's got a great range of going from screaming his lungs out, to singing beutifully. Each song's lyrics tell a great story or describe how we've all felt at at least one point in time in our lives. // 9

Overall Impression: This is by far the band's best album to date. The lyrics and vocals are simply amazing. The whole theme of the album, from the slow songs to the screamo songs, is just amazing. A perfect album to pop in and cruise on the highway to. To listen to the whole thing through in one sitting is just an amazing expirience. it's deffinately not for everyone. You have to be into that certain type of music. I, personally, wasn't big into the whole screamo genre, untill I heard this album. Buy this album. // 9

Heroine Reviewed by: Anvil pants, on november 17, 2008

Sound: this album is totally different from "dear diary" and it's not a bad thing at all. In fact this album blows dear diary out of the water. you can tell that the band had grown so much as musicians over the years just by listening to "mothersound" the guitars are all drop C so you know that they are heavy and unforgiving. the bass on the album(provided by the freaking amazing Wes Borland)also helps in parts(at least where you can hear it)to make the overall sound harder. Derek bloom(the drummer)deserves an award for his amazing skill that shows through every song on this record, I love everything else but the songs would be much less if it weren't for him. The only problem with this album is that it's such a departure from the scene/emo music they did before, dear diary is an amazing album but heroine is sooo much better, even if it sounds nothing like what they have before. Also with this album it sounds like there were problems with the production and engineering because some songs are much louder than others and there will be parts where the vocals and drums drown out the guitars, which is a shame because the guitars are amazing, also you can tell the amazing songs from the filler, songs like "world war me" and "waltz moore" are so bad it sounds like the band was just like f@#k it and put them on the album. But on the other band songs like "mothersound" and "the levy" show the heavy and angry side that makes the album catch you by the balls. The last song on the disk "heroine" is so amazing in it's depth that it's hard to believe that a song like this ever could be created. amazing growth from dear diary is what makes this disk my favorite. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing, matt good(the guitar player)did an amazing job writing angry lyrics that still show a soft side that will please older fans but still catch the attention of everyone else. the vocal style of sonny moore help to set this disk out from every other post hardcore band out there today. there are parts of the lyrics and vocals that are so terrible though, parts where sonny is going way too high almost to ear shattering female sounding terribleness. Plus there are songs like "waltz moore" that you can tell are just trying to please the 13 year old girls out there that only come because of sonny moore(and you can tell this song was written by him just because it's so amazingly bad) the screams on this record and the back up vocals(mostly provided by 2nd guitar player travis richter) are amazing, and if it weren't for him, the vocals of some songs wouldn't be good. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this album is amazing, despite it's problems this album is amazing, much better than dear diary, I wish that From First to last would have stuck with this heavy hardcore sound for at least another album, that's how amazing they are at doing the dark hardcore heavy crunchy music. Just about every song on this album is great, but "mothersound" "the levy" and the drop dead amazing "heroine" make this album amazing, setting it apart from crappy bands like escape the fate, blessthefall, and bring me the horizon and even sets them apart from their old scene emo music past. I would buy this album again if it got stolen or lost, I wouldn't have to think about it twice. I love this album, if there is any album you buy of from first to last, make sure it's this one. // 10