Natural Selection Review

9.6
 9.8
 9.3
Natural Selection Reviewed by: jonesmethod, on september 25, 2003

Sound: Boy does this record really kick you in the teeth, and boy does it really kick ass. Carl Bell and the boys from Fuel really do deliver an amazing album from start to finish with "Natural Selection". This record is heavy as rumor had it as the band was recording the album. It has a straight rock sound with smooth, heavy distortion on the guitars. If you like Fuel's past two albums, you are bound to like this one, as all of their albums are great rock records. Not much of a progression in sound here, the album just leans a bit more to the heavy side, and uses some techno intros to a couple songs. There are two ballads featured on the album, which also are on the heavier side. Brett Scallions is strong on vocals, and the rhythm section is as tight as ever. Great production, great songs, and all-round great sound on this record. // 10

Lyrics: All lyrics on the album reflect personal experience and are easy to comprehend. The are sung soulfully, and Scallions's voice suits them perfect. The lyrics run perfectly parallel with the music, and were meant to be. Carl Bell also does a great job on backing vocals as well. Both men are very good at what they do. // 8

Overall Impression: Comparing "Natural Selection" to Fuel's past albums, it is the best. It is a bit more edgy, and ass kicking, although all of Fuel's albums have been great start to finish. Most impressive songs on the album are: "Deep Inside Of You", "Won't Back Down" (from the Daredevil soundtrack), and "Running Away". I like everything about this album. It's well rounded with soaring guitars, cutting vocals, and power ballads. If it were stolen, I would certainly buy it again, and it's definetly worth buying. Fuel has delivered with this effort, but will have some fierce competition for record sales this week as Nickelback, and Limp Bizkit both release much anticipated albums this Tuesday. Buy Natural Selection! // 10

Natural Selection Reviewed by: Rocker3829, on december 16, 2003

Sound: The sound on this album are incredible. Easy songs to play but they are very good ones. The change varys a lot with a start with the song "Quarter" which is the darkest song on the album and then ends with "Days With You". The solos on this cd are also incredible. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are can be summed up in one word, Incredible. With the darkest song on the album at the beginning "Quarter" expreses hate but throughout the cd it gets "better", and ends with a song called "Days With you". The imagery is very good on this album. // 10

Overall Impression: This cd totally blows away their previous effort. There isn't one bad song on this cd. The best song on the album is "Running Away". All of them are good too. If it was stolen, you bet your ass i'd buy this cd again. Worth every penny. // 10

Natural Selection Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2004

Sound: The sound on this record is not only huge but it is so crisp and percise that you would swear that God himself was playing!!! Carl and the rest of the fuel gang have really "matured" in their sound and style! Bringing hard rock, blues, and soul together! This is what "good" music is all about!!! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are from inside. They are not ficticious. They put you in the situation and take you on an emotional rollercoaster!!! Bret really brings the "goods" that compliment his and carl's lyrics!!! // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best overall album of 2003, hands down!!! If for any reason I lost this album or it was stolen I would go buy another in a heartbeat!!! And I wouldn't be upset w/the thief at all, hey at least its something worth stealing!!! // 10

Natural Selection Reviewed by: risenfenix24, on january 09, 2004

Sound: Man does this record RAWK!!! From piano samples to the hard hitting guitar intros Fuel is known for to the soaring power ballads as well as some new stuff thrown in "Natural Selection" is by far the best record of 2003. Carl Bell said in an interview that he became a "mad scientist" when writing for this record, experimenting with and refining Fuel's sound and these experiments have paid dividends in an absolutely amazing record. The rock track "Quarter" leads off, snatching the listener with its visceral guitar riffs and brooding lyrics while ballads like "Falls on Me" and "Die Like This" are sure hits. However when the record becomes more experimental is when the record truly starts to shine. The track "These Things" is a sonic masterpiece with reverbing guitars and samples, "Running Away" with its string intro and unique guitars is one of the album's best, but "Most of All", a melody-driven power chord jaunt is by far the record's best, probably the catchiest Fuel song since "Shimmer". Great sounding record. // 10

Lyrics: As usual, Carl Bell explores the depths of love lost and various negative love issues but also dabbles into infidelity in "Running Away", loneliness and depression in "Quarter" and "These Things" while Brett Scallions provides the most creative lyrics on the record in "Luck". Overall, I would think that by now Bell would write about more than just the typical issues he's written about in records past but hey, go with what you know right? // 8

Overall Impression: Best of the year. Sonically and musically, it is tightly produced and well recorded. Way to go Fuel!!! // 10

Natural Selection Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 08, 2004

Sound: The sound of the record is awesome, it have a deep sound with spectacular rhythm and melodies that creates huge anthem chorus that go over the ops and make sing real loud cause Brett really makes you feel his feeling on the songs. Also Kevin and Jeff makes excellents backing sound with alot of strengh and deep sound to suport the oupstandings guitars riffs. And finally Carl decides to show what he is able with his guitar on espectacular solo on "Running Away", "Luck",and best of all "These Thing". Simple the best sound of Fuel. // 10

Lyrics: Let star to to say that Bret's voice is just amazing the capacity taht he have to sing a rude song like "Won't Back Down" "Down Inside of You" with a passion and feeling that make you feel that his hear is breaking but also he could sing with a harmonic a smooth voice on ballads like "Die Like This" adn "Falls on Me". The lyrics and the music are perfectly combined so the create a awsome sound that cacht you up with incredibles anthem chorus. And now talking especifically I'll have to say that also are espectacular cause they really transmite the felling that Carl have at the time when he was making its, but also i'll have to say that the whole album its like monotonous cause its only talk about a kind of break up and the differents feelings that that situation produce on Carl. For me 4.6 so that 5. // 10

Overall Impression: I just really love this album by far the best of 2003 and maybe the best of Fuel; I don't hate anythig on this albums from the start to the finish it's awsome every song have a somethig wonderful. There are no bad songs, it's not that kind of albums that you change some songs cause are not to goods with this you will hear and love the whole 50 min. I'm sure that I will buy it again if it get losted or stolen definitely I replace it.cause it worth to buy at all. The most impressive songs are all! By lets say that These Things, Down Inside of You, Falls On Me, Die Like This, Millions Milles, Running Away, Most of All, Won't Back Down and Luck. jejeje Quater and Days with You are my least favorits but also are very good ones. Once again "The best of 2003 and the most understimated also". // 10

Natural Selection Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 17, 2005

Sound: Fuel, what a great frickin band. This CD is no different. I first got Something Like Human and thought that was a great CD but let me tell you this one blows their last two efforts out of the water. When they first hit the scene in '98 with their major label debut, they sounded great. 7 years later they are still absolutely amazing. This is their darkest record to date, which is not a bad thing. Natural Selection has spent almost a month in my CD player and still going strong. Great sounding CD I would recommend it to anyone who likes mainstream rock. // 10

Lyrics: Brett Scallions fails to impress me with the lyrics. Flawless I could not find one song on the album that I did not like or at any point wanted to skip over. Every song has it's own meaning and every song is written with feeling. Brett's vocals are also very pinpoint accurate and are very distinct, you won't hear anything like it today. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to their last two albums this one is definitely their best, not to say their last two were any worse, actually their last two albums, "Something Like Human" and "Sunburn" were very innovative. I love the fact I can keep this CD in my CD player without skipping over any tracks. I love the range that Brett has I love everything about this album. I would not be stupid enough to let this album get stolen. I would buy it again just for the hell of it. // 10

More Fuel reviews rating latest review
+ Puppet Strings 6 03/21/2014