Something Like Human Review

9.4
 9.9
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Something Like Human Reviewed by: Powerhouse, on august 08, 2006

Sound: If you're a fan of radio friendly hard rock with catchy hooks and lyrics and scratchy yet emotionally charged vocals, Fuel is exactly what you're looking for. From the angst and bitterness of the chaotic opener "Last Time," to the desperation and heartbroken lyrics of the anthemic "Hemorrhage (In My Hands)", to the simple, mid-tempo "Bad Day", to the Alice in Chains-ish "Down", this album is loaded with 12 underrated modern rock classics. // 9

Lyrics: Almost all the lyrics were written entirely by guitarist Carl Bell. I was a little let down by this, I guess because I'm used to the singer writing all or most of the lyrics. But his lyrics are quite impressive, espcially in the songs "Innocent","Bad Day", "Last Time" and "Empty Spaces." He writes mostly about broken or troubled relationships, sometimes he writes with metaphors and sometimes he's very straight forward. While his subjects may be cliche, they're very well done. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a very good alternative rock album. I would recommend it for fans of Nickelback, Creed, Matchbox Twenty, Staind, and Everclear. I love the powerful vocals, which are perfectly blended with the music and lyrics. If lost or stolen, I would replace is immediately. // 9

Something Like Human Reviewed by: dscguitar, on november 25, 2003

Sound: Fuel's sophmore effort is a wonderful addition to their repertoire. It is, for the most part, a hard hitting and grinding record. Though it does have spots of poignancy. "Hemorrhage (in my hands)" and "Bad Day" are joined by "Hemorrhage (in my hands) ", "Daniel (an Elton John cover" and "Going to California (a Led Zeppelin cover)" on the expanded edition as the softer edge of the album. Brett Scallions' voice is sprinkled with urgency and emotion in every song. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are biting and harsh. Yet, they still retain their poetry. As I said, Brett is a very talented vocalist. And on the three bonus songs on the expanded edition give you a personal and raw display of his voice. These three songs even furthered my opinion of his singing skills and style. Anyone whos singing can stand up against such an intimate approach has to be a wonderful singer. // 10

Overall Impression: "Something Like Human" is my favorite Fuel album. It has such a range that it would make anyone happy. My favorite songs are "Last Time", "Hemorrhage (in my hands)", "Bad Day", "Solace", "Innocent", "Daniel" and "Going to California". If it were stolen, I would definitely replace it. // 10

More Fuel reviews rating latest review
+ Puppet Strings 6 03/21/2014