Sunburn Review

fuel: Sunburn
Released: Mar 31, 1998
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge
Number Of Tracks: 11 Fuel's major-label debut.
 8.6
 8.2
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Sunburn Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 17, 2003

Sound: This is a very straght forward rock sound that is Fuel's debut album. No samples, no piano, nothing but bass, guitar, drums, and vocals to give you a no nonsense all out rock experience. // 10

Lyrics: This album to me is the most unrefined of all the fuel albums. This is not necessarily a bad thing because this is their first album, thus making it their rawest sounding one. Brett Scallions vocals have soul and for what he lacks in range he more than makes up for in agressiveness and power. The lyrics are what you would normally see in rock songs, failed relationships and what not, but it makes for some good stuff. The lyrics as run of the mill as they seem, bode quite well with the song. they just sort of blend into the music (listen to bittersweet and untitled for the best examples). // 8

Overall Impression: This album stands out the most out of all the other fuel albums. Maybe it's because of Brett's vocals before they changed or maybe its because the band band stuck with what they knew sounded good to them. This is a must buy album for anyone who likes rock at all . As well as being a good album, it's a great album to play along on the guitar as well. If any one tried to take this from me I would beat them down and take one of the best rock albums I've heard. // 10

Sunburn Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 11, 2004

Sound: This CD is a great example of dynamics in music. Like bands such as Nirvana, they do the quiet verse loud chorus thing on a few songs. Then, on others, they are quiet the whole time and loud the whole time. The guitars and drums are louder than the vocals, pulling you in to listen to more than just the lyrics. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are wonderfully written. Great metaphors that give you vivd pictures of what the song is about. The singer (Brett Scallions) has a wonderful, growling voice and it's hard to imagine anyone else singing the songs. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great CD. I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Alice In Chains' guitarist Jerry Cantrell. The singing is reminecent of Elton John meets Eddie Vedder (without the political issues). My personal favorites are Shimmer, Bittersweet and Hideaway. I would definitely buy this one again if I lost it. // 8

More Fuel reviews rating latest review
+ Puppet Strings 6 03/21/2014