Hours Review

Released: Jun 14, 2005
Label: Atlantic
Genre: Rock
Styles: Post-Hardcore, Emo
Hours showcases the band's musical abilities and innovation while delivering some of the most tuneful songs of their career.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 8.9
 9.1
 8.6
Hours Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 15, 2005

Sound: Hours is so amazing. If you have listened to the band before you'll find that hours has a different sound to it. You can tell that Matt Davies voice has changed between Casually Dressed and Hours. But it still sounds just as good. Hours also experiments with more sounds then FFAF's usual lead effects. Just listen to Streetcar. In general, the album sounds a little different then normal FFAF, and experiments a little too, but still has that great FFAF feel to it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great! They really give you a distinct feeling. And Matt is just awesome on Hours. Like I said before yes his voice has changed a little but he is still great. And the backup vocals just flow with the music. // 10

Overall Impression: Hours might just be their best album yet. All of the songs have their own feel and style to it, but still with the classic FFAF sound. My favorites have to be All The Rage, Streetcar, Roses For The Dead, Drive, History, and Alvarez. The only thing that might throw you off is the drum beat in Sonny. It is a little hip-hopish but after listening to it a little bit it goes with the song lightly. If it was stolen or lost I'd definitly buy it again. Infact I'd get the single too cuz I saw theres 2 songs u cant get anywhere else on it. Infact I should get that today, well anyway, if you like FFAF, your gonna love this album. If youve never heard them before, a few songs might be odd to you but if you like post hardcore, emo, rock, anything like that I bet you'll like Hours. // 10

Hours Reviewed by: Aaron 2, on august 05, 2005

Sound: Well, the first ablum casually dressed and deep in conversation wasn't brilliant, as most emo bands tend to over do the whole 'leading whilst the other does rythmn' thing, seems to go even more over the top. But like I said, the first album wasn't great, and this one "isn't" any better. The first album is something you could mosh to, this is the sort where hold lighters in the air as it is more melodic, and the double kick bass pedal isn't really here as much as the first. // 6

Lyrics: As most emo bands have their hair going over their face to hide their emotional scars, the lyrics kind of explain what I mean, Matt Davies is still as whiney as usual and still does wierd noises that are appariently words! But, to be fair, the tone of the vocals do fit in well with the musical impact that has changed the face of emo. // 4

Overall Impression: I can't say that they are simular to any other band as they are quite different. Now I don't have a grudge against emo, because I love 'Coheed And Cambria' and 'The Storybook Ending' but these guys just get on my nerves with their arrogance. I do not reccomend this album to anyone, but the first album is a bit better, so if you are going to buy anything buy Machine Head. // 4

Hours Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 13, 2005

Sound: I've noticed a great deal of divided opinion on exactly which genre Funeral For A Friend fall into, and if anything; this album will certainly divide those opinions further. Fans will probably have noticed the change of tone the band have now adopted, and generally more simple issues expressed in the lyrics. The 'Streetcar' single or the 'Lazarus' B-side definately show this change, and the rest of 'Hours' itself is not too different. Every track on the album has a similar feel to it as 'Streetcar', though you'd be surprised be the unfamiliar lack of distortion in a lot of songs. According to Funeral For A Friend, 'Hours' would be a "proper album, of pace, structure, mood and sentiment" but these factors only seem to have softened the sound and simplified the guitar parts. // 8

Lyrics: Matt hasn't changed his style; I'd have to say his voice is one of the most familiar aspects of the album. However, as previously mentioned - the majority of songs on the album are similar to 'Streetcar' (most are even softer) which means from memory the only track featuring the infamous screaming of Ryan (the drummer) is 'End Of Nothing' and basically; Matt doesn't scream at all. The lyrics on every song mainly focus on relationships and are expressed very literally which means you shouldn't be anticipating any more 'Art Of American Football's from now on. // 6

Overall Impression: Funeral For A Friend claim 'Casually Dressed And Deep In Conversation' was not "a proper album" but in comparison to 'Hours' I wholeheartedly disagree. Darren has taken his turn to play all the hard stuff in this album. Where Kris plays surprisingly simple chord sequences; Darren manages to entertain which a great deal of tapping. I'd have to say 'History' is my favourite track of the album though I'm sure most would disagree, the whole song is undistorted but proves some good has come from FFAF's sudden change of sound. "We wanted to make a record that had no sense of compromise, of 'middle ground'," smiles guitarist Kris Coombs-Roberts. "Something people would either really love or hate, that no-one would feel 'wishy-washy' about." 'Hours' has its positive features but really signifies the end of one era for FFAF, they seem to have matured and now left their heavier roots. Be prepared for a more gentle, more simple and slightly less clever album that probably could be decribed as 'emo'. // 6

Hours Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 19, 2005

Sound: How FFAF have changed. Before you buy this cd take into consideration ther will be no more 'Art Of American Football' or 'This Years Most Open Heartbreak'-esque songs from here on out. Emocore has been embraced. The sound is very clean and crisply produced, similar to CDADIC, but alot smoother and less edgy than seven ways to scream your name. I for one miss those old rougher recordings, but bands must evolve. Matts singing is smooth and sutble as usual and the trademark screaming is kept to an absolute minimum (the only song with a scream being 'End Of Nothing'). The guitar is my favourite part of this album. As a guitarist myself, I love the guitar on songs such as streetcar and monsters. I also play drums and have really begun to appreciate the drums on this cd. The best examples being monsters and end of nothing. the sound is basically a very polished, well recorded masterpiece. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics a very personal and emotional. the screaming has been removed to really generate the sound of emocore in their music. The lyrics deel deeply with reletionships and love. But there is a share of political esque songs such as 'All The Rage' and 'Roses For The Dead'. These are those lyrics that demand listening to. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I think this is a very impressive CD. It's a shame that it will end up being over promoted and deemed as the next wave of 'Fashioncore' (even get me started on you barstards the label bands like that). I like this CD, but their olders cds are far better. If you've just bought this CD, go and buy all their old CDs. // 8

Hours Reviewed by: duncang, on november 25, 2005

Sound: Funeral For A Friend are one of the best british bands around today. Fact. Funeral For A Friend are the best hardcore/emo/punk (kindof a one-off genre, but you know there are other bands like them) band out there. Fact. The only people that come near them are Thrice, who arent exactly easy competition themselves, are they? Their sound is very very good, I love the guitar sound, and Matt Davies voice. Their drummer has some talent too. This album is a great in almost every way. Just class. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great, highlights being Streetcar and History. Monsters has some good lines too. Catciest Lyric: "This tree is dead and cold, this house is not a home" - Recoverty. Maddest Lyric: "Lets scrape our knees on the playground" - Roses For The Dead. Best Lyric: "Archers in your arches, raise your fingers for one last salute" - History. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. All The Rage - a good way to hit you as soon as you start the album, with Matt Davies coming right in with the vocals. I love the guitars combining in this song, with the lead pulling at your heart-strings while the rhythm hits you in the stomach 10/10. 02. Streetcar - first single, and I was scared when I heard this on the radio, it starts with a phone? But it fits the story of the lyrics, I love the breakdown with the conversation, but it should have more than "I cant feel the same way about you anymore" to it. Great riff, and a very depressing chorus 10/10. 03. Roses For The Dead - the intro guitar reminds me of Muse (which is definitely a good thing). Love the chorus, and I'm sure this would kick ass live (lucky buggers who got Taste Of Chaos tickets) 10/10. 04. Hospitality - that first chord reminds me of Everlong by Foo Fighters, which shows exactly how far FFAF have come (Muse, Foo Fighters). Very good song, lyrically as well 9/10. 05. Drive - kind of a samey song, I like the chorus lyrics though 7/10. 06. Monsters - top-draw emocore from a top-draw emocore band. Catchy, anthemic and just all-round great. Good choice for a single too 10/10. 07. History - this song is the best song of the year. This alone is reason to give FFAF so much credit. Great lyrics, very good video too. Its calm, but puts its message across brilliantly 10/10. 08. Recovery - storming riff going through almost the whole song, amazing ly written. Sweet guitar melody in the chorus too. This song would be an absolute stormer live, and should be their next single (if they release one) 10/10. 09. The End Of Nothing - that intros a bit metal, isn't it? But it soon goes back to what FFAF are so good at, catchy riffs, throbbing vocals and soaring drums. Yeah, this is the heaviest song on the album, it has some random Trivium-style growling scattered around, and some duelling guitars too. That isn't a bad thing, though 9/10. 10. Alvarez - more great double-guitars in this, with an anthemic chorus and a simple-but-effective drum beat going through it. Probably the second-best non-single (behind Recovery) 10/10. 11. Sonny - Linkin Park drumming, strings? Obviously an experimental song, and although it gets better, I hope FFAF dont grow on this song and progress in this direction when they write the follow-up 8/10. // 10

Hours Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 13, 2005

Sound: Funeral For A Friend have always had a unique sound, and this album is no exception. It has a heavy sound to it, it has the softer sounds as well like in the previous album, and the two guitarists continue the same style they've had before. I read in an interveiw that FFAF themselves said they had changed their style, and I can see where. But this is not for the worse, any fan of the old FFAF will love this album just as much. I noticed that they still seem to use the same tunings, drop D flat, and I've noticed in Streetcar the guitar riff has a different style to it than their other music, it sounds happier; and they use finger-tapping. This shows they are trying new things, which is what any good band does. There are no guitar solos, which some musicians may be disappointed; but FFAF have never had them - it doesn't suit their style. But the guitarists are still great at what they do. I particularly like the lead riff in 'Roses For The Dead'. Excellent album, I am not disappointe with the music. // 10

Lyrics: FFAF's lyrics have always got to me. How can a band come up with such powerful and emotional lines like these? FFAF (and Taking Back Sunday and a few others) do this really well, and the lines make you think and stick in your head. This album has done it again. 'I fail to swallow my tongue and I'm still here bleeding'. Matt sings brilliantly like before, and so does bassist/singer Gareth. Drummer Ryan used to do his screaming during the songs, now he doesn't do it as much but he still does, this time only when necessary. This doesnt make me like them any less. FFAF's lyrics are like the bands personal trademarks. // 10

Overall Impression: FFAF are an original emocore band, they are set apart from any band, and this album is their latest installment of excellence. I just bought it and already I'm listening to it again. I wish I was going to see them later this month in concert, but it will be worth waiting for their next UK tour. It's hard to choose a single standout track, or a favourite. I just tried but each song is a standout track in its own way - just like the old album and every other song this band have made. I hate the fact that there are only 11 tracks! You just need more by the time you've finished listening, but the band make up for this in every other way. Excellent band, excellent album, I expected nothing less from this album than I got, and in fact I got more (including a free badge hehehe). If it got lost I'd cry (that says a lot about the album) and immediately use my guitar savings to buy a new one. If it was stolen, well, I'd kill every suspect. // 10

Hours Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2005

Sound: FFAF's latest album is amazing, sticking to the same emo-metal sound as the first album but in new ways. There are some amazing riffs and tunes in this album. "Roses For The Dead"'s opening jumps out at you! It's really catchy and amazing. There are the mellow songs like "History" and "Hospitatility" and there are songs that kick ass like "Monster" and "End Of Nothing." In interviews with the band and Matt davies especially they tell of being home sick and sad of not seeing thier family, it does shine through the album in a very good way. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics as with previous albums are awsome, although not as much screaming matt davies sings amazingly. The actual content of the lyrics is not quick made up mumbo jumbo, but words with actual meaning "so goddbye, to you and your life..." from Street Car words which have meaning with the voacalist (Matt). Matt can sing really well, as fans are assured he fails to dissapoint. // 10

Overall Impression: I love Funeral For A Friend, so this album review will be a little biased but I have tried to be honest. This album is abosolutley awsome. Not to be missed. My favourites are "Roses For The Dead," "All The Rage," "The End Of Nothing," "Street Car,"History," pretty much the whole album. Even the worst song on the album, "Sonny" is pretty good. If I lost it I would buy it again. The dvd with the limited edition is awsome too. Great value for money. I can't wait to see them live in july. FFAF do not dissapoint at all in aspect. // 10

Hours Reviewed by: demonic_fishie, on june 15, 2005

Sound: Those of you that know Funeral For A Friend know their trademark sound - scorching riffs, emotionally-charged vocals and heartfelt lyrics. This time around, the welsh quintet have produced something which takes some of the best aspects of their last album and brings them forward into a more mature phase of their career. Songs range from a solemn, drum-machine backed piece entitled "Sonny" to a fast paced, heavy and somewhat uplifting "Recovery." The boys have changed, and while it's not better than their previous releases, it's as good but on other levels. // 10

Lyrics: Once again, the lyrics are traditionally open to interpretation by the listener. Every line is more or less what you make it. There's a lot less screaming on this release, with the band opting for several acoustic-ish songs that have no need for it. Matt's voice is tone-perfect, and beautifully piercing as always. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is a complete masterpiece in my eyes, but I know a lot of people will be upset by the softer, more gentle approach to things. Those who weren't expecting the same riffs and foundations as those in past releases won't be disappointed by the bands more mature tone. If, however, you are looking for re-hashes of "Juneau" and "The Art Of American Football," you'll be upset. Highlights of the album are the beautiful and uplifting "History," the mellow, sombre "Sonny" and the brilliant, fast-paced riffs of "Roses for the Dead" and "Recovery." Overall, a brilliant use of twelve quid. // 10

Hours Reviewed by: villevalo182, on august 01, 2005

Sound: FFAF's sound is over amazing. This album is alot more polished, more finely done. It's obvious that a lot of care has gone into it. They're take on emo-hardcore is unique, and pretty awesome. The band is great. // 10

Lyrics: Matt can sing amazingly. His voice goes perfectly. The lyrics are mostly very "heart on sleeve," very open emotionly. The lyrics are quite heartfelt and meaningful. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is amazing. It's alot better than the others, mainly because it's alot better made, sound and lyric-wise too. The most impressive songs, for me, are the released song, Streetcar, Roses For The Dead and History. The worst song on the album is "Sonny" but even that kicks ass. An amazing album, highly recommended. // 10

Hours Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 01, 2005

Sound: The songs vary from the metal shredding of "The End Of Nothing," to the chord jamming on "Drive." All in all, Funeral have out done themselves, the songs will all get you addicted to the ablum, forcing you to listen to it in every spare second you have, leaving you with a warm sense of musical greatness in your ears. Whether you play electric or bass guitar, you will want to learn every riff off this album, especially the intro riff to "Roses For The Dead." // 10

Lyrics: Typical Funeral lyrics, singing about depression, lost love and low self-esteem. But, Funeral suprised me with "The End Of Nothing" which is based entirely round the hate in a relationship and the fights involved. "Hospitality" faces a very serious and emotionally hard-hitting area, being kept alive by a machine. The lyrics fit the songs well and match the mood perfectly. However, it's not all good, the repetition of a line or three at the end of the song tends to degrade the song, more so in "Hospitality." // 8

Overall Impression: This is definately one of Funeral's best albums to date. Buying the album was money well spent and I recommend it to everyone reading this. What do I love about the Album? The whole thing! The songs "The End Of Nothing," "Recovery," "All The Rage," and "Monsters" are the main attractions of the album. All in all, well done Funeral! // 10

Hours Reviewed by: Rockytoilet, on august 09, 2005

Sound: From the band which made the 100,000 selling "Casually Dressed And Deep In Conversation" comes the slightly less wordy "Hours." And it's not a disappointment. It reeks of maturity and style and kudos to the producer, who has done an excellent job. Opener "All The Rage" sets the scene, while current single "Street Car" follows with the equivilent of "Juneau" from the previous album, being that it'll probably become their trademark track for this album at least. Funeral For A Friend have lost a bit of their riffageness, but the killer intro to "Roses For The Dead" and the shredding "The End Of Nothing" give the listener enough to get their teeth/ears into. The wierdest and probably weakest song on the album is the electro "Sonny," which while an admirable effort doesn't really work and you can see why they shoved it at the end of the album. Definatly not as heavy as their last album. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Davis has seriously worked on his voice and it shows in "Drive," which was actually sang in the front seat of a big rig truck, which obviously won't have the best acoustics so it really is impressive. The lyrics seem to compliment the lyrics well and the lyrics themselves are great, but as with the first album Matt Davis's voice can be an aquired taste. // 8

Overall Impression: A great album which proves Funeral For A Friend aren't just a flash in the pan. Maybe not the greatest thing they'll do and new single "Monsters" isn't exactly one of the best tracks on the album, but then again their all good. // 10

Hours Reviewed by: Lewis55, on december 15, 2005

Sound: In Hours there is a much deeper side to the music. Songs such as Drive, Hospitality, History and Sonny show this. It seems that they have grown up since their last album. But alot of the songs have great riffs in them. Streetcar is my favourite because of that amazing riff at the start. But the overall sound is very good. // 8

Lyrics: Matt Davies is a great singer. His lyrics are now more maturer than ever. He is fantastic on the song Hospitality. Gareth the bassist also sings abit and is not bad at all. I'm sure the drummer is screams in some songs because he did on the last album Casually dressed and deep in conversation. Streetcar's lyrics are quality. Matt sings about how people change. // 8

Overall Impression: Great album, not as heavy as their old stuff bit still well good. I do recommend it. I proberly would buy it again if I lost it or something. Streetcar, Hospitality and The End Of Nothing are my favourite songs on this album. If you like this sort of music I strongly recommend. // 8

Hours Reviewed by: celvy666, on december 19, 2005

Sound: Ok, well this is pretty much my favourite CD. It's a lot less emo than "casually dressed" and after one listen to this CD, their previous material seems slightly inferior. Every track (except the closer) has a unique feel and sound, ranging from the clean guitared "Drive" to the hardcore "End Of Nothing" to the most emotional song, street car. It's obvious that FFAF have gone to great lengths to make a better record than ever, matt even recorded the vocals to "Drive" in a car. The lead guitar is as intricate as before, with both guitars often playing equally tricky licks, Ryan has also stepped up the drumming with a fast yet satisfyingly solid pace throughout. As well as being a sonically superb album, it's also difficult to compare them to any other band, although inspiration from bands such as Jawbreaker and Iron Maiden is obvious. // 10

Lyrics: Matt davies has always made FFAF's lyrics stand out and he's really outdone himself here, The lyrics and the singing in general is more mature and better quality, even though matt was apparently hospitalised between this record and the last. As someone from Rise Against once said of Matt, "That boy has a good set of lungs on him." The greatest example of lyrical genius on this record would be the chorus to "End Of Nothing" which boasts the line "The light looks good against the bruises on your cheek, another medal that you'll have to wear this week". Nuff said. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before, this is my favourite record, full of highlights. The explosive opener, "All The Rage," sends shivers down my spine, as does "Recovery," "Drive," "Street Car," "Monsters" and "Hospitality." The riffs are heavy, the choruses are epic and the album is by far FFAF's best and a true modern classic. The let down on this record however, appears to be the closer "Sonny" which goes into a sort of electronica direction which is basically, not good and not at all suited to the band. Matt even rips off a christina aguliara line from "Beautiful." Ignore this song and you're left with a collection of amazing songs and the anthems for a decade. // 10

Hours Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2006

Sound: Funeral For A Friend combine many styles within rock music. These include emo, hardcore, hair metal, grunge, post-hardcore and the odd bit of electronica. Their originality brought them to a wider audience than the Welsh hardcore scene. But a few years down the line, every Joe Bloggs is playing those C# riffs and are "borrowing" the odd lick from metal. FFAF's sound on "Hours" has moved away from the more scene orientated sound of their early EPs and their debut "Casually Dressed And Deep In Conversation." Hours contains, as mentioned, a wide aray of styles which helps show-case the albums depth and diversity. "Hours" is a compelling listen which outshines their emo roots for a more orignal and intriguing sound. // 10

Lyrics: Lyricaly "Hours" is a darker affair than its predecessor. This becomes apparent with Matt Davies' approach on Roses For The Dead, Hospitality and Recovery. Matt Davies on the mentioned tracks shows his inner demons and home-truths. These home-truths deal with depression, bereavement and recovery, the latter is a common topic throughout the album. Matt's voice has matured to a richer and more soothing tone which once again sets Funeral For A Friend apart from their former peers. Ryan Richards' screaming vocals have been toned down as Funeral are in a more vocaly refrained state of mind, but none of the songs sufffer from this despite the fact that the guitars are heading towards a more agressive direction. // 10

Overall Impression: Hours overall is a contemporary masterpiece which has a broader outlook than anything Funeral have done to date. This broader approach leaves Funeral peerless, but it is through this that makes Hours such an impressive listen. For 42 minutes Hours flows very cohesively with the mellower and more refrained "History" being my personal highlight. Other standouts such as Hospitality, Drive, Sonny and All The Rage are all big departures from Funeral's previous sound. What makes Hours a convincing synthesis of all that is good about it is its everlasting depth and original approach to song writing. This album is a benchmark of all that has to come. // 10

Hours Reviewed by: Funeral Protest, on january 28, 2006

Sound: Funeral for a Friend is one of my favorite bands, they have been for almost 3 years now, and I havent stopped loving their music one bit. Hours is very differint than their previous albums, but its still an amazing effort for their first major label debut. Funeral has been put into the category of screamo/emo genres and to a certain extent, they should be, but Hours takes them out of that scene, while it keeps them in the emo scene with the way they write their lyrics and they way Matt Davies presents them with his vocals. The guitar work is also very very good on all of FFAFs albums, props to Kris and Darren on having some pretty tricky songs. // 10

Lyrics: I like the way that Matt Davies keeps his lyrics simple, yet difficult to understand at points, which may be on purpose because what a lot of bands want you to do is think when you hear or read their lyrics. Some of Matt Davies lyrics are the classic 'emo' label such as the first single, streetcar, where he repeats "I can't feel this way about you anymore" about 5 times, but still a good track. My personal favorites on this album are All The Rage, The End Of Nothing, Recovery, Hospitality, Drive and odly the slow somewhat techno song Sonny. Matt davies also does have a very unique vocal style, while keeping it in the 'emo' sound, he likes to add in odd, almost barnyard animal noises that are actually words. For example, you=hugh, your=hyour. I still think he is a very good singer, but I sometimes laugh at his noises, but they are also welsh, so it could be a bit of an accent, but still, I'm liking it anyway. // 9

Overall Impression: They can be compared to bands for differint reasons. Guitar wise, they can be compared to such bands from Alexisonfire to Iron Maiden, and they say a wide variety of influences gives the best music, which is entierly true. If I lost this album, I would get it again, but I would probably go to the UK to get the bonus DVD cause I like my extra shit. But overall, I like this album, I like this band, I like what their doing, and if your reading this and agreeing, you should too. // 9

Hours Reviewed by: Joeking, on february 27, 2006

Sound: I love this band, they really get to me (in a good way), because I play the guitar I really appreciate how they play there music and good it actually is. I love the really catchy things that get in my head like the intro of roses for the dead and recovery. I feel this is the best album so far and I would reccomended it to anyone who plays the guitar. You don't have to be emo to love this band! They rock! Overall this band sounds amazing with catchy tunes and a variety of guitar techniques being used you are always interested. They have a unique construction to their songs like the song changes half way through the song and sounds completly different. I can never get fed up with this band! // 10

Lyrics: ok I will be honest, the lyrics are quite random to me, but they probably make more sense to other people. Because they rhyme I just automatically start singing along to them. By the way its the drummer who does the growling and stuff its not always Matt. That's why I like the drummer a lot. But deep down the lyrics hit me and kind of make sense. // 9

Overall Impression: So far, over the year I have listened to many artists like foo fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sum 41 and stuff which I have liked but not been hooked on, when I started listening to more emo music I suddenly got hooked on FFAF! I just thought they were incredible. The songs I found most impressive were nearly all of them but the ones I liked the most in order were: Roses For The Dead, Novella, All The Rage, Alvarez, Bullet Theory, Escape Artists Never Die, Juneau, She Drove Me To Daytime TV, Hospitality, Recovery. Overall I love the individuality of each song and that each song has its own catchy riff which I love. The thing that made me love roses for the dead so much was the intro, I think its so amazing! I don't really like the growling but it's growing on me! I really don't think I could live without this album and casually dressed & in deep conversation. If I don't listen to them I crave their music although over the past week I have been getting into Cradle Of Filth and Lamb Of God Which are both amazing and death metal. // 10

Hours Reviewed by: emokid92, on may 30, 2006

Sound: Before I bought this album I had only heard one FFAF song: roses for the dead and I loved it. FFAF are mostly emo and maybe border heavy rock. On buying this album I love the band. Their songs sound very well constucted. FFAF are a Welsh band so there wasn't much hype about the album. They can be compaired with bigger bands such as Hawthorne Heights or Fall Out Boy who are known the world over. // 9

Lyrics: With the brilliant and meaningful lyrics you can tell what the song is about after only a few words. The lyrics to roses for the dead and history had the biggest impact on me because they are so well sung and thought out. At the age of 13 these lyrics touch even me. Most of the songs are quite long but the lyrics don't seem to be overloaded like say with Green Day I think they put to much content in that you find yorself struggling to follow what Bille Joe is singing. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best CD I have bought since Panic!'s "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out." The most impressive song is History as it combines meaningful lyrics with a tune to fit. If I lost this album I would find myself rushing out to HMV to buy it again. Now after ffaf's second album I can say that they have got me as a fan for life! // 10

More Funeral For A Friend reviews rating latest review