The Moon Is Down Review

further seems forever: The Moon Is Down
Released: Mar 27, 2001
Genre: Rock
Styles: Emo, Indie Rock
This band's ability to combine relatively dense guitar rock with an edge of experimentalism and a deep undertow of emotional uplift is more than just impressive ? it's practically inspiring.
 9.5
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
The Moon Is Down Reviewed by: ivegot_acat, on november 17, 2004

Sound: The band's music is somewhat too heavy on a lot of the songs, in contrast to the vocals and lyrics. The guitar is beautiful at times, especially in New Years Project, and Pictures Of Shorelines. Like many bands the bass is barely audible most of the time, which is a big turn down, but the drums really rock a lot of the time. Though the attribute that gets this cd's sound a 4 is their vocals and lyrics. The singer on this album is Chris Carraba, who after this album decided to start his own solo project (Dashboard Confessional). His voice on this album is in many ways contrary to his voice on the Dashboard Confessional albums, as it sounds untrained, and somewhat slurred voice, but his power is still incredible, not as good as in his later albums but still wonderful. The lyrics tell stories, many are based around the shore, bringing the album together in almost a way that the entire album tells the story of a boy who lives near the shore, and the events romantically that fill his life. Romanticism, strife, and contempt are the main points of this album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are wonderful on this cd, they all encompass one setting, the shore and they all tell stories, in a rhythmically poetic way. Whether the message is positive, or negative FSF finds a way in this album to slam it in your face and make you feel the pain, or love. The lyrics mostly go with the music, especially the drums. They flow through the lyrics, enforcing them into your mind, giving the whole cd a very dream like state when you listen to it alone. The singer's skills are wonderful, Chris Carraba's voice goes right with the music of the rest of the band, he does not play guitar on this album he's merely a vocalist and his voice is just talented enough to go with this band's first full album. // 10

Overall Impression: I find this the best album by Further Seems Forever, the overall sincerity of this cd is unmatched by any other FSF cd. It is so heart on sleeve and sounds so sincere its wonderful, you feel like you are the one that could have written these songs, they pertain to life so much. My favorite songs from this album would have to be New Year's Project for its overall heart wrenching entirety of it, and Pictures of Shorelines, because it shows missing your love, always trusting it will last, loving faithfully. I love the lyrics, most of the guitar and band, and just basically everything about this album. What I do not like about this album was that it was the band's last with Chris Carraba, who could have done wonders for this band, but better things have come to him. If this cd got stolen I would no doubt buy it again, it's one of my top 5 favorite cds. It's hard to describe this album without belittling it, but if your into Dashboard Confessional you should definetly buy this album, or even if your just into romantic music. // 10

The Moon Is Down Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 31, 2006

Sound: First of all, I labeled this album as The Moon Is Down but it is not because they didn't have their latest album listed. Further Seems Forever released a fairwell/greatest hits cd called Hope This Finds You Well. I purchased this cd after hearing about them through a genre referral. Some of the other reviewers gave this band a bad rating for the vocals after Chris Carraba left. Personally I think that the new singer does just as good in his own respect. He has a more powerful and convicting voice instead of the more whiny/punk voice that Chris Carraba had. I gave this section a seven only because some of the songs aren't very impressive on the guitar but the drumming and bass is just fine. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics changed with the singers when the band switched. When Chris Carraba sang most of the lyrics were love songs, romantic, typical emo lyrics. After the vocalist change the vocals became more poetic and obscure love songs with the occasional emo core touch. The lyrics fit the music nicely and as I mentioned above the guitar is weak but they manage to turn up the intensity enough to fit the harder sounding songs. Both singers have good voices but they differ greatly. I think both are exellent. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I think that this is one of the most prolific bands in the emo genre. Nearly all the songs on the album are good but the top ones are Light Up Ahead (acoustic), Someone You Know, How To Start A Fire, Pictures Of Shorelines, For All We Know. I love the dynamic vocals the best and if I lost it I would buy another one post haste. // 9

More Further Seems Forever reviews rating latest review