News And Tributes Review

futureheads: News And Tributes
Release Date: Jun 13, 2006
Label: Star Time International/Vagrant
Genres: Indie Rock
Though the Area EP suggested that the Futureheads' sound had matured since the days of their early singles and self-titled debut album, the extent to which the band has grown on News and Tributes still comes as a bit of a shock.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 7.2
 7.3
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
News And Tributes Reviewed by: anthonyd3ca, on july 10, 2006

Sound: It could be the first one, given that the British band has kept such a busy schedule since the release of its eponymous debut in 2004. It's difficult to find the time and energy to write and record quality new songs when you're making repeat visits to the States and numerous tours through the UK. That might be the reason why songs such as "Yes/No" sound so bland and uninspired in direct comparison to such memorable "Futureheads" tracks as "Decent Days and Nights." Or, maybe, it could be the latter. If you haven't yet heard of the curse of the neo-New Wave movement, you surely will, since it's going to factor heavily into a lot of once-successful band's careers. The curse, in a nutshell, is that many of these '80s-inspired acts that were so exciting a few years back suddenly sound duller than a doorknob. Franz Ferdinand (you might remember them?) was arguably the first to experience the curse. And it appears that it may have sunk its teeth in The Futureheads as well. Either/or, take your pick, The Futureheads' music just sounds a bit tired and uninspired. // 5

Lyrics: Yet, on a positive note, the band still displays a great vocalist and its signature, and amazingly precise, vocal harmonies on "News And Tributes." And, if you are patient, you'll find a few nuggets (like "Skip To The End"). // 8

Overall Impression: Most importantly, the group has traditionally been even better in concert than on disc, and I'm sure that's still the case. Fortunately, The Futureheads will mount a North American tour in support of the album. The trek begins June 16 in Vancouver and stretches into August. If I were to ever lose this CD I may or may not buy it again. // 7

News And Tributes Reviewed by: Bozjoarmstrong, on september 08, 2006

Sound: It is clear that being on tour 24/7 has really affected the bands schedule, meaning a lot of the songs are unimaganintive, boring and in some cases awful(e.g. Return Of The Berserker). The guitarists still have the same obvious skill and talent but they are not being used as well or as often as they were in the last album. There is still the odd good song there though e.g. Skip To The End, Favours For Favours which keep the album in my CD rack. However as one of my current favourite bands, I was expecting a little better from The Futureheads. // 6

Lyrics: If there is one bonus to this album it would have to be the lyrics to songs such as News and Tributes and Favours for Favours. The harmonies are fantastic and the music fits the lyrics perfectly. The lead singer (despite the obvious northern accent) has a wonderful voice for this type of band and the backing singers are also fantastic at the harmonies and occasionally come into the lead singer role themselves. // 9

Overall Impression: In My opinion not nearly as good as the last album, but if there is a third I'm sure there will be improvements, as songs like Skip To The End, Favours For Favours, Back To The Sea and Worry About It Later leave hope for the Futureheads' future (sorry bad joke). If it were stolen or lost I'm not sure I'd buy it again, I'd probably just save my money for the potential third album. // 7

More Futureheads reviews rating latest review
+ The Chaos 8.5 04/28/2010