Gallows Review

8.3
 6.6
review (1) 20 comments vote for this album:
Gallows Reviewed by: Bass-riffer, on september 13, 2012

Sound: This is the first Gallows full length album with Wade MacNeil on vocals, the third in general, and it is simply fantastic. The album starts of with a fairly creepy spoken word part, then "IN US, WE TRUST" roars Wade MacNeil, while the rest of Gallows explodes with him. From then on it is a masterpiece of fury, riffs, intelligence, hooks and passion. Laurent "Lags" Barnard and Steph Carter continue to prove themselves as two of the finest guitarists going, best shown on "Last June", "Nations" and "Cross Of Lorraine", which crush and punch the listener; while the likes of "Outsider Art", "Austere" and "Vapid Adolescent Blues" are more anthemic, and just wouldn't be without the catchy riffs. Stuart Gili-Ross (bass) and Lee Barratt (drums) serve as a rhythm section that do more than just keep the songs tight. // 10

Lyrics: Wade MacNeil's lyrics tackle political issues mainly, i.e. "Last June" "Pigs is pigs, I can't relate, you represent, everything I hate. There's no justice, there's no peace. Being thrown in black vans by secret police", or "Odessa" "I'm a sycophant, I'm a small time crook, I'm a hail of bullets, I'm a name crossed out in your history book". He also sings about things personal to him such as on "Cross Of Lorraine" "Always waiting for the death of the death of love". All of which he sings with a high level of anger and intensity, in a raw, distinctive style. // 10

Overall Impression: I met Lags at the last Gallows show I went to with Frank Carter as their frontman, and I told him I couldn't wait for their album to come out, and I knew it would be amazing. Then Frank Carter left the band, and I wasn't sure it would be, but I've listened to it now and I was right, it is another masterpiece. Wade MacNeil is making himself a Punk Rock legend in Gallows, and the rest of the band are as outstanding as they've always been. If you were a fan of any of Gallows previous releases, you will most certainly love this. If you consider yourself a fan of Punk Rock, chances are you'll love this. If you do listen to this album, chances are you'll think Gallows are still one of the finest bands of our time. // 10

More Gallows reviews rating latest review
+ Death Is Birth [EP] 7.8 05/09/2012