Resurrection Review

7.7
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Resurrection Reviewed by: Livingtime, on december 10, 2012

Sound: Galneryus releases "Resurrection", the first album to feature new singer Masatoshi "Sho" Ono and new bassist Taka. This was actually the first album I had heard from Galneryus and did leave me quite shocked, being such a unique sound I had never heard before. The guitarist Syu and keyboardist Yuhki show some incredible lead work together especially during solos in songs like "Destinations" and "Emotions", showing extremely impressive skills in their respective instruments. I would give the sound an eight for the fact that the instruments can be slightly hard to make out because of the mixing quality, or maybe I could have been playing it too loud! Galneryus really brings a sound that's different from your typical power metal band, and it is a pleasure to hear. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically, the songs are in mostly Japanese though there are sections of English throughout the songs. The English lyrics I found were a little odd just in their wording, and being in Japanese the story told in the songs can be more specific and less vague than the average English song. Masatoshi sings brilliantly on "Resurrection", the vocals shine through well. The accent of Masatoshi definitely gives a different sound to what one would hear in western music, but this just adds more to the sound of Galneryus! I'm giving a seven because of the oddities you can hear in the actual lyrics, especially the English lyrics. This doesn't stop the beautiful melodies the Japanese lyrics give. // 8

Overall Impression: Galneryus has a sound I am unfamiliar with and it surprised me at first but it is definitely something I love and the keyboard and guitar solos! Absolutely beautiful. The most standout songs in my opinion would have to be "Emotions" - a 6 minute instrumental that really displays the Galneryus sound, "Save You!" - Some orchestral music is heard and even a harpsichord solo, also beautiful melodies notably the outro. "A Far-Off Distance" - Shows a soft side to Galneryus with a short but magnificent solo and finally "Destiny" - A 7 minute song with a very syncopated guitar and keyboard solo which moves into a literal blur of guitar tapping, there are so many notes you will be stunned! As good as this album sounds there are some flaws, the audio quality sounds a little bad notably "Burn My Heart" and I have listened to it so many times now - The solos outshine most of the songs, of course there are exceptions. "A Far-Off Distance" and "Save You!". If this album were stolen or lost I would buy a new copy straight away! Galneryus has a different sound and Syu's guitar work is to die for. Overall I'd give it a seven. The replay value isn't particularly high as an album but the songs by themselves show a lot of promise and are unique in their own way! // 7

More Galneryus reviews rating latest review
+ Reincarnation 8.3 09/10/2009