Land Of The Free II Review

8.6
 8.7
 8.4
Land Of The Free II Reviewed by: tpvikke, on november 26, 2007

Sound: Now this is classic Gamma Ray music once again. Completely something else than Majestic (2005). Land Of The Free II was released November 19th 2007 in Europe and is Gamma Ray's latest creation. The music style in the album is heavy/power metal. The guys in GR has really done a great work with this album, which is a continuation of LOTF (released in 1995). Hansen has written most of the songs on this album and has succeeded very well in making it a continuation of LOTF. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are sometimes evil, sometimes worldly. One could say that they're classical power metal lyrics. The lyrics fit the music very well. I hope you'll get an opinion of the lyrics with this little piece of them. This is the pre-chorus lyrics of the song "When the World": "So talk to me, the world I see, has reached the point of no return the tons of grief killed my belief, my heaven's on fire and it burns." Hansen, the singer of the band is going strong again. He's doing a very good performance through the whole album. High pitching, mellow voice, shrill voice, melodic, etc. He does it all! // 10

Overall Impression: This album sure compares to all older Gamma Ray albums, and also compare to all power metal of its kind. The most impressive songs of this album are Insurrection, which is a equivalence to LOTF's "Rebellion In Dreamland". Also Leaving Hell is an impressive song, because it's "evil" metal. If this album was stolen or if I lost it, I'd definitely go buy the same album again because it's a very good album. // 9

Land Of The Free II Reviewed by: Haunt3dAng3l, on december 23, 2008

Sound: Killer riffs, amazing melodies, rippin' solos, fantastic lyrics, great production quality, and Kai's voice is still great. When you add all that together you get Gamma Ray, specifically Land of the free II. The spirtual "sequel" of the band's "Land of the free" from the 1990s. Don't expect anything totally new and different on this album though, it's a textbook example of 80s power metal. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics range from enviromental concern to an anti-religious view. The lyrics are to the point and easy to understand. They're not metaphorical nor can they be interpreted a multitude of different ways. Gamma Ray lets you know what they think loud and clear. However, this is a weakness as well. Because the lyrics don't make you think about what they could mean. You tend to dismiss them because there is no mystery to their meaning. // 7

Overall Impression: Gamma Ray is one of the few bands out there that consistently releases great albums. Although it's not perfect, land of the free II holds up well against anything they've done before. I'd argue it's better than Land of the free I. Proof that sequels can surpass the prequel. Sadly though, it's just a run of the mill power metal album in terms of rhythm and guitar solos. But the songwriting is top notch, so it's hardly even worth complaining about. Highlights of the album would be: Rain, Leaving Hell, Real World, and To Mother Earth. I got this album as a gift, and if it were lost or stolen, I'd definately buy it again. As this is truly a new Gamma Ray classic! // 9

More Gamma Ray reviews rating latest review