Power Plant Review

gamma ray: Power Plant
Release Date: Mar 29, 1999
Label: FAD
Genres: Power Metal, Heavy Metal
Power Plant is more of the same from Gamma Ray, inarguably well done, but hard to differentiate from their many other albums in this particular metal style.
 8.7
 9.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Power Plant Reviewed by: tpvikke, on december 04, 2007

Sound: Now this is Gamma Ray at its best! This album was released in 1999 and is according to me the most successful Gamma Ray album ever. This album has got everything. Beautiful intro, a pause, and then a mighty refrain, was at this time (1999) Gamma Ray's speciality. This album contains power metal through the whole album. The guys have also written a nice ballad and done covers on "Long Live Rock 'n Roll" and "It's A Sin". // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are dealing with our universe, dreaming, skies, hell etc. They're also about "he" or "him" an undefined creature that Gamma Ray seems to depend on, because "he" has occured in the lyrics in many of GR's albums. The lyrics fit quite well with the music but it could fit better. The singer Kai Hansen is very good, he has that kind of "evil" voice, almost roaring and that voice fits very well to the music style. And as all the other melodies in power metal they demand high-pitching and have nice harmonies. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a good metal album and it has a variety of music styles inside the power metal genre, everything from raw metal with nothing but drums, dist guitars and bass, to melodic "modern" metal with a bit synth and backing "oohs" (choir). The best song in this album is "Gardens Of The Sinner", which is a raw song. "Send me a Sign" is also a very good song, with a more mellow style. If I accidentally would brake this album I'd order a new one the next day, because this album is great! // 9

More Gamma Ray reviews rating latest review