Chariot Review

9.4
 9.7
 9.1
Chariot Reviewed by: evelynmarie, on february 27, 2004

Sound: Gavin Degraw makes the piano really rock! Chariot is a combination of rock and soul. It's just consistent through and through. I never skip any of the songs. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, the songs are easy to relate to. Gavin presents simple concepts and scenarios they we all can understand but he does it in a way that is honest and real. It's like hearing a regular guy get behind a piano and put music to some of his most intimate thoughts and feelings and establishing a connection with him. You really respect him for his honesty. // 10

Overall Impression: He's been compared to Van Morrison and Billy Joel, but his voice has so much more feeling in it than comparisons can convey. It's amazing. The coolest song on the album are "Meaning" and "Chariot" but the whole thing really is ear candy at it's finest. // 10

Chariot Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 12, 2005

Sound: Gavin DeGraw's music covers so many styles from soul, jazz and blues to rock. His album Chariot is a carefully crafted blend of all these types of music. I love all the songs on the album Chariot because they are all unique. Gavin also does some cover versions of songs such as "Lets Get It On," "Walking In Memphis" and "Sexual Healing." Gavin has an extremely unique voice that manages to cover a wide range of vocal textures. His latest single "Chariot" portrays a journey through the world of music and is an inspiring and creative song. Gavin found Sam Cooke to be one of his biggest inspirations in the music industry and he showed this by superbly covering one of Sam's tracks on his album Chariot Stripped. I would recommend Chariot to anyone because the versatility in the CD is amazing and it appeals to almost any audience. I have yet to hear a bad review about Chariot. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in all of Gavin's songs are very deep and meaningful and serve a great purpose. Gavin is a very skilled songwriter. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the best albums I have bought. My favourite song from the album is "Chemical Party" which is a very original sounding piece of music. I mostly love the originality of the pieces on the album. There is nothing I dislike about it apart from the fact it could have more songs on it (11 is enough but when they are this good quality then I would love even more). I would have to buy it again if it was stolen or lost. // 10

Chariot Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 03, 2006

Sound: I can tell that this soul/jazzy pop rock singer songwriter has ways with the melodies. I had never listen to such interesting music in my life. I can tell that this guy can be compared to soul/pop songwriter Daniel Powter too but from this recording, the sounds so unique and seems very ordinary of a man behind the piano. // 9

Lyrics: The Lyrical content of this album is just astounding. Definitely a skilled songwriter. He uses all the elements of features and expressions he feels ranging from earth to the sky in all of his songs. I like Nice To Meet You Anyway and Belief. They have very meaningful Lyrics which everyone can relate to. // 9

Overall Impression: He is a talented musician who comprises all elements of jazz and rock and pop and soul into this record. Amazing. However, his songs and chords progression are a bit too common. But then again, with his band, they are able to produce sounds so unique that can only be sang and be filled by Gavin Degraw's heart warming voice. Can't wait for his next album. // 9

More Gavin Degraw reviews rating latest review