Dead Mountain Mouth Review

Genghis Tron: Dead Mountain Mouth
Release Date: Jun 6, 2006
Label: Crucial Blast
Genres: Metal
These ten gloriously dense, triumphantly catchy jams soar through vast valleys of immense crush and wonderfully alien vistas of 8-bit wizardry unlike anything you've heard before.
 9.4
 9.8
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Dead Mountain Mouth Reviewed by: VeloriumCamper, on may 29, 2006

Sound: In 2005, Genghis Tron released the "Cloak Of Love EP", creating buzz around the metalcore/grindcore scene because of their unique blend of intense raw metal and heart thumping Electronic breaks and bridges. Although this EP was held in praise amongst many I found myself disliking it greatly. The EP was to me, unlistenable, and provided nothing but the repetitive and untalented sound of "Noise-beats-noise-beats" and had no real structure. In the early stages of the making of "Dead Mountain Mouth" I had no desire to hear it and to be honest didn't really care about the new album. When I heard it was going to be produced by Kurt Ballou (Converge) though, I instantly became interested. I loved his previous work and knew the product of Genghis Tron's new album would be raw and at least decent. // 9

Lyrics: So fast foward to now, a few weeks away from the release of the new album, I have made a complete 180 as to my liking of Genghis Tron. The album starts of with "The Folding Road" a perfect song to start the album off with. The Electronic breaks and heavy hitting guitar patterns of this song (and pretty much the whole album) provide it with a sense of catchiness you don't often see in this genre. "Dead Mountain Mouth" also features one of my favorite transitions from song to song of the year. "From The Aisle" is a "relaxed" song (so to speak) that progressess as you go along. Towards the end of the song, things pick up but you still sit there saying to yourself "What's up next, c'mon, wher'es the intensity", and just then "Dead Mountain Mouth" the title track off the album explodes with one of the heaviest intros I've heard. Beautiful. "White Walls" and "Greek Beds" showcase Genghis Tron's guitar skills, and even contain strange yet enjoyable childlike screeches as vocals. "Greek Beds" is my favorite track off the album. The guitars in this track are phenomenal, swooping in and out from parts that don't even show real pattern yet sound great. "Asleep On The Forrest Floor" and "Warm Woods" are my least favorite tracks, not in any way being bad tracks, but not showing me anything interesting or appealing to the ear. The album ends with "Lake Of Virgins", which provides a heavy ending to the album, with some guitar work not heard earlier on the album. One of the only negatives I have to say about this album is that it is pretty short. Ending in only 30 minutes, you feel like you're done before you ever began. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, "Dead Mountain Mouth" is one of my favorite albums of the year, if not my sole favorite. Kurt Ballou did a great job of producing this album, and the sound of it is wonderful. One thing to point out is how the vocals are much better heard on this album than on the previous EP. Genghis Tron definitely improved with this album, improving their song structure, vocals, and everything in between. I would recommend this album for any metal/grindcore fan, or for anyone looking for something new, exciting and definitely worth talking about (or for someone just looking for something creepy to listen to). // 9

More Genghis Tron reviews rating latest review