All Things Must Pass Review

george harrison: All Things Must Pass
Release Date: Nov 27, 1970
Label: Capitol
Genres: Singer/Songwriter, Pop/Rock, Album Rock, Psychedelic
Without a doubt, Harrison's first solo recording, originally issued as a triple album, is his best.
 9.9
All Things Must Pass Reviewed by: fr0zt, on july 27, 2006

Sound: If you haven't heard this album and you're a Beatles fan, put it on your list. This is an album that is as brilliant and complete as any album the Beatles ever put out, and is one of the best post-Beatles albums any of the Fab Four ever did. It was a hit when it was released and was Harrison's breakout album as a songwriter. It also showed he could write as well as Lennon and McCartney and possibly be more emotional. // 10

Lyrics: Nothing has to be said. George Harrison was a genius as writing clever lyrics and had an amazing voice. This is his writing at it's peak. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an album with consistently stunning songs one after the other. 01. I'd Have You Anytime - a very simple bluesy song to kick the album off. Bob Dylan co-wrote it. The guitar playing will almost woo you to sleep. 02. My Sweet Lord - if you have not heard this song, you've been living on Mars. This was a #1 hit when it came out. It's buildup and looooong fade out is pure genius. It gives Hey Jude a run for its money. With repeated listenings, you are rewarded. 03. Wah Wah - one heck of a rockin' song. If this doesn't make your head bob, you might be paralyzed. 04. Isn't It A Pity - this is a Harrison classic. 05. What Is Life - I love this song. Anyone who has seen Goodfellas has heard this song. It's poppy, it's upbeat, and the wall-of-sound makes it very enjoyable. 06. If Not For You - Bob Dylan wrote this song but it is fit perfectly for Harrison. Very calming. 07. Behind That Locked Door - another calming song that is almost meditative. So many emotions from this song. 08. Let It Down - I love the loud-as-hell choruses juxtaposed against the soft tension-building verses. Mixes up the album with a little kick. 09. Run Of The Mill - the lyrics have a great message, and is a personal favorite of mine on the album 10. Beware Of Darkness - this is a brilliant minor sounding song with a nice guitar solo. This was performed at Bangladesh. I prefer the version on that album, but this one is very similar. 11. Apple Scruffs - a tribute to the fans always outside of the Apple recording studio. Very upbeat. Not many people like this song but I love it. 12. Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp - this is probably my favorite song on the album. The heavily reverbed guitar with a very prominent piano gives a very nice sound. This starts a streak of brilliant songs on the album. 13. Awaiting On You All - this is another upbeat song in the vein of Apple Scruffs, but this time with a religous topic. Very gospel sounding. 14. All Things Must Pass - this probably has the best lyrics on the album. The music is very slow. It is spiritual, reflective, and meditative. Brilliant. 16. I Dig Love - sounds like a John Lennon song! I love the way this song was done. It's very catchy! 17. Art Of Dying - this one will make you want to dance. 18. Isn't It A Pity (version 2) - this isn't as haunting as the first version, but I prefer it much more. It is more reflective and less dirgy. 19. Hear Me Lord - I love the piano on this song, as well as a haunting chord progression in the chorus. If you were to hear a cry out for help in a song, this is what you would hear. // 10

All Things Must Pass Reviewed by: aussierocker, on march 25, 2006

Sound: George Harrison's post Beatles debut was a critical and commercial blockbuster. It was a sprawling then 3 disc set, the first in rock history. George had limited opportunities in the Beatles and as a result his vaults were literally brimming with songs most of which ended up on here. Phil Spector co-produced and his Wall Of Sound was set amongst Georges melodies and great songwriting creating an energetic and spiritual sound overall. The album was remastered in 2001 and bonus tracks were added, get this version for some demos, an unreleased track and a new version of the hit song, My Sweet Lord. The sound is better. The album was #1 for a month or so, had a simulataneous #1 hit with My Sweet Lord/Isnt It A Pity followed by a top 10 hit the joyous What Is Life. Spiritual rock, elegant, sophisticated and atmospheric ballads that just sweep you away. Wall of sound rock and roll thunderstorms and mellow country with some Dylan influence and assistance with the co-writing of the opener "I'd Have You Anytime." Some of the sound was taken further with the future direction of the then psychadelic band Pink Floyd. This album is Georges greatest and one of the best post beatles if not the best. Cast in stone as a rock and roll essential for the collection of any music lover. Phil Collins made his recording debut on the album by playing congos on The Art Of Dying. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics were on par with anything Lennon or McCartney was writing in the period. A range of events in Georges life such as the dissolution of the Beatles, friendships, feelings, love and spirituality permuate this album. Some light hearted moments are offered but by and large his writing took on depth, meaning and emotions. The music at times buries what he is singing but enhances the song a great deal. The array of instruments was testiment to the Wall Of Sound. 5 acoustic guitars, 3 drums, 2 bass, 3 keyboards, etc. George was finding his voice throughout his career and it got better by the year. He was on vocal form here singing with a fair bit of passion, underrated vocalist but always distinctive. // 10

Overall Impression: In terms of his peers, the other favs it is Just as good as John Lennons solo debut and better than Paul who was a little slow to get his storied solo career of the ground. It was among the best records of the early '70s and had lots of airplay and success so it rated highly. Most of the songs here are well known and great songs. My Sweet Lord was a univeral #1 smash hit successfully infusing a mantra with the Wall of Sound and a melody. What Is Life is a celebratory song, of music and of life and asks the musical question. The musicianship on that song is excellent. Hear Me Lord is a spiritual plea. Isn't It A Pity is his best ballad with some nice chanting and guitar work. Art Of Dying is futuristic psychadelic rock with great bass playing by old mate Klaus Voorman. Beware Of Darkness is a hauntingly beautiful ballad. I could go on and on. I think the song "Awaiting On You All" was a little in your face and forced, a little too preachy, the music is great such as the signature changes and the brass ensemble but the lyrics ruin the song. It is the only problem I really have. I would buy this album again if I lost it. // 10

All Things Must Pass Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 14, 2006

Sound: This album is the post Beatles for one of the most underrated guitarist and songwriter ever the man who made masterpieces such as Something, Here Comes The Sun and maybe more if he was given a chance to write more songs for the Beatles. This album is simply a classic and for a post Beatles albums this is I have to say the best post Beatles album ever even better than the John Lennon or MacCartney albums. This just shows the creativity of George and showing him at his songwriting best. Almost every song is a classic. Songs that have a sense cheerfulness and calmness listening to songs that George Harrison has composed (just listen to Here Comes The Sun and Something and most of the song featured on this song). This is a great feel-good kind of album that people should hear out forand get a copy. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are so cheerful, meaningful, genius and crystal clear. The songs are great songs to sing along and if you feel fearful you just want something peaceful this is your cup of tea. The vocals here are so melodic and pleasant. This is a true masterpiece of songwriting. // 10

Overall Impression: If you are into Lennon songs and albums this is a great pick for you. It's just a remarkable album. I really like George Harrison's songs so peaceful and not too mellow and not too upbeat and raucious. Songs like What Is Life, All Things Must Pass, Isnt It A Pity and If Not For You are among my favourites in the album. It'll just make you think why in the world wont you give him more songwriting opportunity to this man in the world's greatest ever pop band but thats history. An album you'll simply love. // 10

More George Harrison reviews rating latest review