Opus Eponymous Review

ghost: Opus Eponymous
Released: Oct 18, 2010
Genre: Heavy Metal
Label: Rise Above Records
"Opus Eponymous" is the first album by Ghost. It sounds like Black Sabbath and Deep Purple had a baby, and it kinda sounds like Blue yster Cult too.
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
Opus Eponymous Reviewed by: iommi600, on january 13, 2012

Sound: "Opus Eponymous" is the first album by Ghost, released on October 18, 2010. What you can hear here is heavy, doomy riffs in contrast with softer parts and choruses ruled by keyboards, all of this to create an amazing, sometimes dark atmosphere. It sounds like Black Sabbath and Deep Purple had a baby, and it kinda sounds like Blue yster Cult too. Some people also compare them with Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, mostly because of their theatral live performances. The band was formed in 2008 in Linkping, Sweden, and it's line up consists of vocalist Papa Emeritus and five "Nameless Ghouls": 2 guitarists, bassist, drummer and keyboardist. Kinda creative thing. The album has received mostly positive reviews, embracing fans from hardcore metalheads into death/black metal to stoner rock fans. The album also contains "Here Comes The Sun" in a heavier version as a bonus track. This is another great record from the Swedish rock scene, which I recommend you all to check it out. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on the whole album are basically focused on horror/evil tales and satanism. They might not impress so much, but some of them are really well written, like "Elizabeth" and "Con Clavi Con Dio", which features some verses in italian. Well, they sure thing fit the band's sounding and it's "evil" appeal live. Their obsession for satanism and the occult in the lyrics made people compare them even more with Blue yster Cult or Black Sabbath. Papa Emeritus' vocals sounds pretty clean, but still are capable to fit both in the heaviest riffs on the album and in the lighter/darkened, keyboard-driven parts. Actually, his voice here, and how it fits on the band's sounding is another feature that reminds me a lot of Blue yster Cult. Pretty good. // 9

Overall Impression: Well, enough has been said here. If you like 70's bands like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Blue yster Cult, or doom, Stoner or heavy metal, or even things with a "dark" atmosphere, listen to this album. You will probably like it, or love it. I would point "Satan Prayer", "Con Clavi Con Dio" and the amazing instrumental "Genesis" as the best ones here, but that's just my opinion, and I don't think there's even an average song here. All songs are at least pretty good. If someone steal this from me, I won't even hesitate to buy it again. // 9

More Ghost reviews rating latest review
+ If You Have Ghosts [EP] 7.8 11/19/2013