The Best Of The Gipsy Kings Review

gipsy kings: The Best Of The Gipsy Kings
Release Date: 1995
Label: Nonesuch
Genres: Contemporary Flamenco, World Fusion, Flamenco, Worldbeat
Sure, it duplicates several tracks from the debut, but it also rounds up highlights from their relatively ignored follow-ups, all of which contained some terrific songs.
 7.9
 7.3
 8.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
The Best Of The Gipsy Kings Reviewed by: general_carpets, on november 10, 2006

Sound: Spanish (well Catalonian, based in France, so what I imagine traditional spanish music to be). Layers and layers of sweeping classical spanish guitar (sometimes as many as 7), husky, rasping vocals, the occasional accordian or horn and hand claps galore. A dense, fast paced and vibrant sound that's musical, soulful and alive. // 8

Lyrics: As a total non speaker of Catalonian/ Spanish, the words could be anything. I have been told that most songs follow a typical love song / dance the night away / party idea in them. The several singers warble out the tunes and even now I can sing (hum) along. The voices are varied and interesting, none of your high pitched stuff here, mostly deep, gravel-y and warm. It fits the tone and adds to the soul. // 7

Overall Impression: Great album with a large variety of tunes, however, some may find it gets a bit repetative (it has that annoying peruvian busker quality after a long day) makes it. Although there is no other reviews, I do not doubt you've heard some of their stuff, a cover of "Hotel California" in The Big Lebowski and "Djobi, Djoba", "A Tu Vera" and "Bambaleo" being their most heard stuff. All but Hotel California on this album. The Gypsy Kings or Gipsy Kings will appeal to many but only a few could be bothered to get it. It's very much a "Feeling The Moment" band as in, "Stick in The Gipsy Kings, I fancy that right now". Maybe not for you but definately very musical, very soulful and my taste. // 7

Comments