Were Down Til We're Underground Review

give up the ghost: Were Down Til We're Underground
Released: Sep 23, 2003
Genre: Hardcore Punk
Label: Equal Vision
Give Up The Ghost are considered Hardcore Punk legends, and this album is solid proof why. They evolved their sound and got more experimental, but high energy, powerful riffs and poetic singing/songwritting is still omnipresent.
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Were Down Til We're Underground Reviewed by: What's a genre?, on may 14, 2012

Sound: This was Give Up The Ghost's (or American Nightmare's, as they were previously known)second and last full length album. They are considered Hardcore Punk legends, and this album is solid proof why. They evolved their sound on this record, and got a little more experimental, but high energy, powerful riffs and poetic singing/songwritting is still omnipresent, just like on any other Give Up The Ghost/American Nightmare release. They got a little more catchy and accessible on this album; which I think is mainly due to more Skate Punk styled guitar playing, slowing down on some songs and Wes Eisold's voice getting a little more melodic and easier to make out. // 9

Lyrics: Like I said in my review for American Nightmare's "Background Music", I think Wes Eisold is one of the best songwritters ever. He writes some of the most mind blowing lyrics ever. He writes romantic stuff "If I was there, if you were here, the world could end, I wouldn't care" ("A.E.I.O.U") he writes things that get you thinking "The future could be ours or, it could just be yours, we could just be walking closer to closed doors" ("Crush Of The Year") and he writes things that anyone going through any struggle can relate to "You go nowhere in a nowhere town, we're growning up by falling down, we love the songs because we live the songs, in condemned flats between rights and wrongs" ("Love American"). He sings in a less heavy style than the band's previous works, he's still an excellent Punk Rock singer, but this time round his voice just has an overall confidence and swagger that makes the overall feel of the record sound much more magical than just your standard Hardcore band. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I think this album is a Punk Rock milestone, even if most Punk fans haven't heard it, the ones who have have been heavily influenced by it in any bands they may have formed. My favorite songs would be "Love American", "Young Hearts Be Free Tonight", "A.E.I.O.U", "Crush Of The Year" and "We Killed It". Those songs are just the best lyrically and the best musically on the album for me, although all the songs are amazing and I love every single one of them; even the two instrumentals on the album, which just make it completely epic. // 9

Comments