Savages Review

5.2
 6.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Savages Reviewed by: Pretelethal, on march 27, 2014

Sound: Glamour Of The Kill are a metal band intertwined with metalcore and post-hardcore influences, formed in 2007 and hailing from York, UK. They released a couple of well-received EPs prior to their 2011 debut full-length, "The Summoning," which was also quietly released to critical acclaim. Their sophomore record "Savages" was produced by Joey Sturgis and released in September 2013. The record's production is good; the mild use of synthesisers on some tracks do not overwhelm the vocals, guitars or drums; however at times the bass is almost inaudible.

Adequate breakdowns are scattered around the album almost sporadically; but one area in particular in which the album shines is in its soloing - a highlight of the album being the outro solo of album closer "Welcome to Hell." Axeman Mike Kingswood seemingly leaves no fret untouched throughout the duration of the album, with some riffs and solos played at breakneck speed. The album's drumming is good but nothing too impressive, as with the bass. No standout moments in regards to the rhythm section; the band is clearly very guitar-orientated in its music. // 6

Lyrics: Vocally, the album mostly utilises clean vocals with the occasional screams belted here and there. Vocalist and bassist Davey Richmond still sounds almost annoyingly whiny at times but a redeeming factor is the added grit in his voice this time around which does take some of the edge off. Fortunately, the gang vocals used in some songs aren't annoying, either. Screams are sparingly used and are performed by either of the group's two guitarists; and are not particularly impressive.

Although, truly the biggest letdown of this album is the lyrical content. The following examples are excerpts from tracks "Second Chance" and "Break" respectively.

"The clock is ticking and there's not long left,
Every second counts when you're holding your breath,
I need something, a new direction,
I’ve gotta turn my life around."

"There is a sick and twisted side to me,
I love you when you give me what I need,
I know it shouldn't but it feels so right."

The lyrical content is consistently this juvenile throughout; and sadly makes this album, which is instrumentally a good display of talent, difficult to listen to. // 2

Overall Impression: Ultimately, the album proves to be a strong sophomore effort for the band in regards to its instrumentation, but its juvenile lyrical content makes it a difficult listen.

A handful of the songs are fairly impressive instrumentally - a couple of standout tracks include "Rescue Me" and "Welcome to Hell," yet due to the lyrics and at times the vocals, as a whole Glamour Of The Kill's second full-length LP proves to be a disappointment in comparison to its predecessor and at times, almost on its knees begging for radio airplay. // 4

More Glamour Of The Kill reviews rating latest review