The Summoning Review

Glamour Of The Kill: The Summoning
Released: Jan 24, 2011
Genre: Post-Hardcore, Metalcore
Label: Afflicted Music, Ferret Music, Siege Of Amida Records
The band have put together a great album - The sound is pretty much a merge between Bullet For My Valentine's "Fever" and Avenged Sevenfold's "Waking The Fallen".
 6.5
 6.7
 6.3
The Summoning Reviewed by: Tenaciøus-A, on august 29, 2011

Sound: I noticed when browsing the site that nobody had bothered to review this album despite their EP has already been reviewed here, and this album being at least six months old, so I thought i'd give it a try. For those of you not 'in the know', Glamour Of The Kill's debut record, "The Summoning", was released in January 2011. I'm not sure if the album is available in the US as the band is almost unheard of there, but i'm sure it'd be on YouTube by now. The band (A four-piece consisting of a vocalist/bassist, two guitarists and a drummer) have put together a great album - The sound is pretty much a merge between Bullet For My Valentine's "Fever" and Avenged Sevenfold's "Waking The Fallen". Here's a track-by-track of the album: 01. "If Only She Knew" - The album's second single, a fairly mainstream track which I believe starts the album off on the wrong foot. A poor opener with fairly dull lyrics and vocals. Suprisingly, the track lacks a guitar solo, but contains an apparently 'br00tal' breakdown to make up for it. 02. "World's End" - The first chance for the guitarists to show off, a song filled with excellent vocals, both clean and unclean (The latter of which, are performed by both guitarists as the singer cannot scream) and a lengthy guitar solo. 03. "Feeling Alive" - A mainstream track and the first single, a positive release in comparison to the album opener, complete with a solo, breakdowns and a great ending. 04. "Dying From The Inside" - A track that begins with a slow-paced riff which eventually speeds up and then bursts into a screamed verse. A brilliant solo also backs up the integrity of the song. 05. "Lost Souls" - One of my personal favourite songs off the album, with an amazing riff, great vocals (All clean) and a blistering solo. It's worth mentioning, the lyrics are pretty good here, too. 06. "Malevolent Reign" - A promising acoustic track with a huge flaw - It's just too short. At a measly 1:52, the song just seems like filler added simply to give way for the next heavy track. It could have been a brilliant song had it been extended. 07. "Supremacy" - The heaviest song on the album and one of the most interesting to listen to, despite the boring lyrics. A breakdown gives way to a short but brilliant solo. To add, the riff used is fairly catchy. 08. "Here, Behind These Walls" - The longest song on the album clocking in at 5:32, the song is overall pretty dull but does have some fairly interesting parts (i.e. the screamed second verse, the breakdown, guitar solo and ending) 09. "Through The Eyes Of The Broken" - A fairly boring song, complete with a boring riff, unsuprisingly dull lyrics and shockingly, even a dull guitar solo to top it off. This seems like one of the few filler tracks on the album. 10. "Army Of The Dead" - The best riff on the album, by far. A great breakdown, too. No solo here, but the great guitarwork threaded underneath some of the vocals, more than makes up for that. 11. "The Summoning" - What a song - The best on the album, definitely. It begins acoustic, and much like Gunslinger by Avenged Sevenfold, suddenly bursts into noise. Catchy and positive lyrics were scribed for this song, that essentially sums up how life should be lived. The song ends with the best solo on the album - Lengthy, and overflowing with awesome. 12. "All I Have To Give" (Bonus Track) - If this is counted as a full track, this is definitely the heaviest on the album - Not "Supremacy". The song starts immediately with a screamed verse and there are hardly any clean vocals utilised in this one, and the solo too, is pretty good. // 9

Lyrics: There are some pretty good lyrics in the chorus of "The Summoning", "Live your life 'til the end, I will never change and i'll never regret. Always follow your heart, If you never try you will never get far." However, in the exact same song there are some rather horrid lyrics in comparison, such as, "I said from the start, Just follow your heart, You'll see, That there's no stopping me." The point I'm trying to prove here, is that the lyrics are good overall, with some shining moments despite several letdowns. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, any fans of bands such as Bullet, Trivium and Avenged, that bother to read this, I recommend you buy this album. The vocalist sounds like Matt Tuck on helium (That's not a bad thing, trust me), so I'm sure it would be hugely enjoyable for most. I honestly believe that this band deserve a far larger fanbase considering the fact they put out a record as good as this one. // 7

The Summoning Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 08, 2013

Sound: I'll have to admit the vampire-esque cover and album notes scared me away a little bit, but I remembered the lame "never judge a book by it's cover" quote and gave the CD a spin. The opening track was "If Only She Knew" and began with a moderate guitar intro. I got even more scared of continuing to listen when the singing began. If there was ever a genre called "nasal metal" this band would be in it. Davey Richmond, the lead vocalist, has such a high and annoying voice, very similar to Kellin Quinn from Sleeping With Sirens. It only got worse when the "screaming" started. I don't know who told this guy he could sing metal. The gang vocals at various points in the album were enjoyable though. The music is what made me continue to listen. The actual instrumentals were great. Some songs even had me thinking about Def Leopard! When the CD was over, I put on the shelf, thinking I'd never listen to it, but I ended up playing it again and again. The music is what makes this band worth listening to. // 7

Lyrics: I believe the lyrics are rather dull. They are nothing new and are nothing life changing. I became offended during the song "Feeling Alive" because of the careless lyrics concerning women. Something about that "if things go as planned, you'll be another one night stand." Not cool. "Malevolent Reign" is a repeating verse the entire song and gets rather annoying. Nevertheless, I find myself singing some of the songs during the day and scratching some lyrics on papers during the day. I guess some of the songs are pretty catchy. // 4

Overall Impression: This sure isn't one of my favorite cds or bands, but it's not rubbish worthy. The best song by far is the title and closing track, "The Summoning". It starts off somewhat slow, but picks up in the middle. The best lyric on the whole album is during this song, "I live my life for rock and roll." Something about that line is simple but deep; something we all can relate to. I love the guitar arrangements and the occasional group vocals. I hate the lyrics and main vocals. My advice to the band would be to ditch Richmond and find a new frontman. Sadly I wouldn't replace the album if it were lost, but I'd most likely download the final track.

// 7