We Are Gathered Here Today Review

glass casket: We Are Gathered Here Today
Release Date: Feb 10, 2004
Label: Abacus
Genres: Rock
Glass Casket have arisen from the active North Carolina scene to deliver a furious mixture of grind and metal with a hardcore ethic throughout, features nine tracks.
 9.5
 9.9
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
We Are Gathered Here Today Reviewed by: TheTallOne, on february 24, 2006

Sound: If you like bands like Between The Buried And Me and The Red Chord, then you will most definately like N. Carolina grind-death-metalcore band Glass Casket. Their album "We Are Gathered Here Today" is a mix of technical metal guitars, the spasticity of someone with Parkinson's disease, and the energy and breakdowns of modern "hardcore" music. The album stars off with "Pencil Lead Syringe," which has grindy guitars and pounding drums, as well as a creepy spoken guitar-backed passage with the singer Adam Cody saying "I'm sorry," which perfectly goes into an awesome breakdowm about 1 min into the song. Track 6, "Chew Your Fingers," has and awesome tapping intro and goes into a breakdown that only involves the singer's abnormally low death growl over a clean guitar playing an ominous part, then following that at 1:55 there is a very awesome tapping part. The next song "Scarlet Paint And Gasoline" stars off very crazily, and just when you think you've had enough, these guys do something even crazier, and the breakdown at the end is just awesome. The most popular song on the cd is track 8, "In Between The Sheets" which stars off sounds pretty cool then has this awesome riff at 22 seconds in, then a sweet breakdown at 45 seconds in, then at 2:35 has a soft spot with a nice solo and some "emo-like" singing. The closer, "A Gray A. M. You Will Never Get To See" is about the singer's real life tragedy, his sister's death in a car accident. // 10

Lyrics: I thought the lyrics were the strongest point of this band, they read like poetry. The singer has a very good skill of conveying his emotions in his screaming, growling, and singing, especially in the closing song " A Gray A. M. You Will Never Get To See." But the thing I like most about the singer is that his growling is so low and harsh that it gives you goosebumps, then his singing is so innocent and serene that it gives you goosebumps. But one drawback would be that when he growls that it sounds like he's got a bunch of phlegm in his throat. // 8

Overall Impression: This album compares very well to "The Silent Circus" by BTBAM, as well as BTBAM's self-titled. The most impressive songs on this album are "And So It Was Said" and "Chew Your Fingers." I like this whole album, but I think that the tone of the guitars could've been better. I would definately buy another one if mine was ever stolen, but I would be really pissed if mine was ever stolen or lost. Buy this album, it is worth it! // 9

Comments