Coloring Book EP Review

9.4
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Coloring Book EP Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 17, 2011

Sound: If you are a follower of Glassjaw you may have already heard most of these songs on a live bootleg concert of these guys that was released on a fan site shortly after new years. The last five songs on the bootleg are all new songs that you can find on this EP, with the exception on the last track "A Song to Break Up To", which on the EP this song is titled "Stations Of The New Cross". These 6 completely new songs are very different from their "Our Color Gree" release. They have a more progressive feel to them. It's not as chaotic, for lack of a better word. More rhythmatic in a sense? The EP starts of with a song called "Black Nurse". First thought was that it sounded a lot like something off of "Worship and Tribute". Kick ass drum beat and a killer guitar riff, with a totally smooth, hotel elevator bass line. I feel like they've really perfected their sound on these six songs. Seriously. Right as track one ends you are hit in the face with the song "Gold". Transfers so seamlessly into track two. Very nice. This song is pretty good. Not my favorite though. Vocals remind me of Head Automatica a little. But then the other instruments get added and it sounds like something completely new. The drumming on this EP is astounding. He has some serious talent. Track 3 (Vanilla Poltergeist Snake) Really shows off his abilities. It changes tempo a lot. This is one of my favorite songs on the EP. It has really good rhythm. It seems like they wanted the bass to overpower the electric guitar at times, seeing as that's all you can hear most the time. Really clean bass lines. Track 4, "Miracles in Inches" is a really good song. It has a slower feel to it, but then picks up in the chorus. The lyrics are very well written, Daryl is a great vocalist and an even better writer. Track 5, "Stations Of The New Cross" is another one of my favorites on this EP. The chorus is really awesome. It sounds as though someone was riding a horse in the studio when this song was recorded. This EP reminds me of old Deftones, like White Pony and earlier. It's really progressive, and by that I mean that it progressively changes styles. They've done this so perfectly in the past, and once again they have made an EP that is interesting from start to finish. The last track on the album (Daytona White) starts off with a Radiohead vibe...but then the vocals start and that feeling goes away. This is a great song to end on, it has an awesome sound to it. It's sad because honestly, you want more! The EP ends and you feel like you need to hear more of this good music they've made. They are really smart in releasing new music in batches like this. It really makes you fall in love with their music all over again. I really hope that they have a full length album in the works. But for now these 11 new songs will be good enough for me, and most fans of the band. // 10

Lyrics: Sometimes repetitive, but overall good. Catchy choruses, as usual. Not a lot a screaming, if any at all? // 8

Overall Impression: Tracks 1, 3, 5, and 6 were my personal favorites. Give the EP a listen, it will surely grow on you. // 9

More Glassjaw reviews rating latest review
+ Our Color Green (Singles) 7.9 01/11/2011