Close The Distance Review

go radio: Close The Distance
Released: Sep 18, 2012
Genre: Pop Punk, Pop Rock, Alternative Rock, Emo, Indie Rock
Label: Fearless
What a great album. Counting Crows I think is the biggest similarity, and in my opinion, these guys are way better.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 9.6
 9.5
 9.6
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this album:
Close The Distance Reviewed by: vppark2, on september 27, 2012

Sound: Let me just start off by saying that this an amazing CD. Very underrated band. I think more people need to know these guys. Jason Lancaster's vocals are as great as ever on this release. His highs are amazing. They soar so loudly, I have never seen this type of work when he was with Mayday Parade (not putting them down). Jason does great work with guitar and piano. The piano pieces mixed in with heartfelt lyrics really do the job. // 9

Lyrics: Oh man, where to start. I loved every single song from this album, but I'd have to say my favorite would be, "Over Me". "Now all the hope and all the fear. And everything we built this year. Is breaking down around us now. And falling with your perfect tears. If love could lift us over everything. All we need's a set of wings." These are some of my favorite lines of the song. "Go To Hell" would have to be one of my other favorites. "Go to hell. If you're reading this then I'm not here. Take your someone else. And let me make this crystal clear that. That I don't need your help. And I'm OK by myself. You can go to hell." // 10

Overall Impression: What a great album. Many would probably compare them to Jason's old band Mayday Parade, but I'm not gonna do that here. Counting Crows I think is the biggest similarity, and in my opinion, these guys are way better. Vocally, and instrumentally they're pretty similar, but these guys rule. For others... Ehh I guess The Fray, and Matchbox Twenty, but I'm just thinking what comes to mind. Anyways listen to this album if you already haven't. Great album, and great listen. // 9

Close The Distance Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 10, 2012

Sound: "Close The Distance" is the sophomore release from Florida pop rock band, Go Radio. The band features Jason Lancaster on lead vocals, piano and rhythm guitar, Alex Reed on lead guitar and backing vocals, Matt Burns on bass and backing vocals AND Steven Kopacz on drums. The piano on the album is virtually flawless adding a unique feel to the often overused genre of pop rock. Moreover, the guitar and bass work on the album, although simple at times, fits in perfectly with the rest of the music and lyrics. The drums on the album are clear and concise throughout the album showing a high level of skill and production value of the album. // 10

Lyrics: "I can't seem to find the words I mean so I try to hold my tongue while laying wide awake and restless if you read it, it says go to hell" - proclaims Jason Lancaster in anthem "Go To Hell". This sums up the slickness of the albums lyrics and the variety, with some lyrics leaving you in tears and some making you want to laugh out loud. The lyrics are sang to perfection with Jason's crystal clear vocals. Also the vocals with the lyrics very smoothly fit with the rest of the instrumentation on the album adding a level of sophistication to album not previously heard on the bands debut. // 9

Overall Impression: The album is overall very impressive with standout tracks being: "Collide", "Go To Hell" and "Close The Distance". If the band continues to produce music this well executed in the future then they could most definitely be one to watch in the coming years. The only thing stopping this album from being ten out of ten is that a little more variation could be introduced throughout the album, this would add even more enjoyment for listeners and more credibility for the band. Overall, this is a step in the right direction for the Florida pop rock quartet.

// 9

Close The Distance Reviewed by: elbastage, on october 22, 2013

Sound: Close the distance is filled with what can best be described as grooving, melodic hooks. It seems that every song, from the stripped-down, piano-based "What If You Don't" to the full band anthem "Close the Distance," is carefully crafted to build from either a two part verse or a verse/prechorus combo into a huge melodic chorus. Jason Lancaster's voice has a raw aggressiveness to it, which complements the pop-punk/pop-rock style quite well. His ability to slide up and down between some of the higher notes in his melodies is impressive and very unique-sounding. The album is mainly piano and guitar driven, but strings and synth tracks can also be heard throughout. The entire album is professionally produced, and no single instrument is ever lost in the mix. // 10

Lyrics: After Lancaster decided to leave Mayday Parade and form Go Radio, it became evident that he was the genius behind much of the songwriting in his former band. Close the Distance is filled with music metaphors like "Did I lose my rhythm now?" and "There was a time I had a symphony and it played love to me for days," while there are also many witty artistic phrases such as "you be the reason, I'll be the rhyme" and "tomorrow don't mean anything tonight." Small touches like using a thumping kick pattern and changing the lyrical rhythm for a line that says, "I swear I can hear every heartbeat in this place" shows a thoughtfulness and awareness not often seen in the music of similar artists. // 10

Overall Impression: I was saddened to hear that Go Radio called it quits a couple weeks ago, because they truly are a talented band. "Close the Distance" is a great example of melodic and lyrically-thoughtful songwriting. If you are a fan of Mayday Parade's "A Lesson in Romantics" and you think that they just haven't been the same since, check out "Close the Distance," you will not be disappointed. As far as my opinion is concerned, "Collide" and "Over Me" are two of the best songs in pop-rock, let alone in the album. Of all the pop-punk and pop-rock I've listened to, this is honestly the only album of which I can say that I genuinely like every single song. It is a shame that a band would break up after releasing what could be considered one of the most impressive albums in its genre. I have a hunch that Lancaster will not stop making music, and I will eagerly await his next production, even if it is not with Go Radio. // 10

More Go Radio reviews rating latest review