Muertos Vivos Review

Label: Aquarius
Genres: Rock
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Muertos Vivos Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 12, 2008

Sound: This is a total change of Gob's style. When I heard the first track at first, I was really unsure if the sound suited them, but they have pulled it off with knobs on. I've read on some forums that if you liked the earlier sound of Gob, you wouldn't like Muertos Vivos (which means Living Dead' in the Spanish language). I say balls to that statement. I love the old sound and I love the new sound. Most of the songs on this album are slower than the past albums, but it just works. I can't say how. It just does. Fact. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have changed massively since the days of 'Soda' and 'You're Too Cool'. Tom wrote all but one song on this album, leaving 'Face The Ashes' to the writing skills of Theo. Though I do not know who wrote the two bonus songs (which aren't on the album, well not on the one I had anyway). We're All Dying = It's a brilliant opener to the album. Immediately changing the Gob sound. The chorus is so catchy as well. War Is A Cemetery = This is like the ultimate anti-war song. I did mistook the chorus as 'we could have an erection', but after hearing it a few more times it becomes more clearer that it's 'we could have an election'. The lyrics are brilliant in this song, without noting the actual sound. Take note, Brown and Bush, this song's aimed at you too. Dead End Love = Instantly liked it. The solo fits the song perfectly. The lyrics are catchy. Not much else to say really. Hear it and you'll like it too (if you are a bit like me, that is). Prescription = This is probably the liveliest, or joint liveliest, on the album. The main riff is accompanied amazingly with the chant 'We fight to feel alright' for the ending of the song. The lyrics here are about drugs. But who really cares? The lyrics are good. That's what matters. Underground = This, is like, whoa. Lyrics like 'When amnesia sets in again/Forget yourself, remember this' and the whole chorus accompany the sound brilliantly. Also, the guitars aren't half bad either. Still Feel Nothing = I absolutely love this song. Reminds me of Nirvana somewhat. The slow guitar in the verses bursting into a lively chorus and an amazing solo, then turning back with ease. To me, this is the most hatred-filled song lyric-wise. Lyrics like 'My pulse is undetectable, yours is even worse' and 'Take a piss on your grave and you would still feel nothing' stay in your head, it's not the type of song you want to sing to your friend mind, as long as they've heard the song too... Banshee Song = I saw the title, I thought 'Mmm, will it be a bit like FIMD? '. I stood corrected the second it played. The guitar playing automatically sets the tone. The lyrics are amazing in this, dare I say it's one of the best songs Gob have written lyrically? Lyrics like 'Love please come and haunt me always/I'll let you, come and take me on' instantly stuck in my head from the first time I heard the song. 18 = I first heard this and thought 'sounds a bit like the Smashing Pumpkins' 'Cherub Rock''. I still stand by that. Who cares. It's an amazing song. The best lyric in my opinion is 'I can't stand to be a stain, that needs to be removed'. Such a brilliant song. About My Summer = This, isn't a contender for best song of the album, though it is still good. I didn't like it much the first time I heard it, but it grows on you. Face The Ashes = When I heard this first, I thought 'Damn! The CD's skipping! '. I was wrong. The stop at the end of every four bars (in the intro and outro) is a masterpiece. This song would be a massive hit if Gob ever brought out a song in Europe. Open Wounds = IT's a nice change in the album, though a bit weird having two rather slow songs for the ending songs. I love this song lyrically and musically. I now wish I had the same writing skills as Tom, not to mention Theo. Wake Up = It's like a slow, bouncy song. The lyrics aren't the best in the album but they are still good. Tom has gotten much better vocally. I've always thought he had been gifted lyrically. The lyrics and music from this album is the maturest they have brought out. And it shows. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a contender for 'Best Gob Album'. The song that will instantly stick in your head is 'Still Feel Nothing', while 'Banshee Song' and 'Face The Ashes' will make you listen to it again and again, and again. I will definitely buy this album again if it was lost/stolen. But it would never be lost or stolen. It's so good, I've put it in a safe so nobody, apart from me, can get to it. That's how good it is. // 10

More Gob reviews rating latest review
+ Too Late... No Friends 7.9 05/12/2006