IV Review

godsmack: IV
Release Date: Apr 25, 2006
Label: Republic/Universal
Genres: Alternative Metal, Industrial Metal, Post-Grunge
IV relies on big midtempo brooders and heavy, drop D riffs to work in the usual themes of loneliness, betrayal, and the overuse of the word "bleeding."
 Lyrics: 9.2
 9.3
 8.7
IV Reviewed by: stanger5154, on april 25, 2006

Sound: The sound is great. Godsmack really tightened up its tone and extended Tony's solos. When the band said that they were going for a more rock sound they definately did it with this album. But, even though it may be very rock-ish, it didn't take away from any of their aggression. This is a very tight, very precise album. And Sully is a hell of a harmonica player! // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics have the basic content all other Godsmack albums. But with Sully Erna (in my opinion, the best voice in metal) delivering, they take on a life of their own. The lyrics have a very "pick yourself of and suck it up" tone to them and they fit perfectly with the music. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a killer album and definately ranks right up there with the others. I love the single "Speak" as it is very classic Godsmack, but more mature. My only gripe is that I wish all the songs on this album followed the template of this song. If this album got lost go buy it again, it's worth it. // 9

IV Reviewed by: L3X18999, on april 26, 2006

Sound: This albums sound differs from the other records. The guitars are more along the heavy line. The drums are kicked into high gear and Sully brings out more of a range in his voice. Not to mention the harmonica opening and solo on the song "Shine Down." // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics on this record are beyond typical Godsmack. The record was writen by the whole band this time, not just Sully. So you see more of a musical apperance and less metal more music. As well as the continuation of "Voodoo" called "Voodoo Too" is very tribal and original in its own right. Some of the lyrics are very dark, as in songs like "Livin' In Sin," "The Enemy," "Teptation" and "No Rest For The Wicked." Yet its feels new in its own right, it's awsome to say the least. // 10

Overall Impression: This album has every comparison to the other albums yet is totally different at the same time. My personal favorite songs on the record are "Livin' In Sin," "The Enemy," "Voodoo Too," "Shine Down" (with its awesome harmonica play) and "No Rest For The Wicked." There's nothing to hate about this record, it's as close to perfect as a record can come! It's on par with Metallica's "Black Album" and "ZOSO"! If it were lost or stolen the world would end as I would end it! Then get me another copy or two! // 10

IV Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 28, 2006

Sound: The Godsmack boys definitely show their talent on this album. They keep the aggression and attitude of their previous albums while bringing out their rock n roll side. The songs on IV are much more melodic then their previous albums so prepare to have a few stuck in your head all day long! The guitars are very bluesy on a few songs like "Shine Down" and have the heavy crunch on others like "The Enemy." This time around, the whole band wrote music causing Sully to loosen his creative control. This was definitely the right move for the album, however, I think a few of the songs Sully wrote are the best on the album. // 10

Lyrics: Sully's lyrics are as strong as ever! He really shows his vocal talent on IV. Not only does Sully play drums, guitar, and sing vocals, he smokes with a harmonica which he clearly shows on "Shine Down." The lyrics fit the musical vibe very well. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is argueably their best album yet. My favorite songs are "Bleeding Me" and "Shine Down." I love the new sound and cant wait for more to come. If it was stolen, Id beat the hell out of the theif and buy another copy. The sky's the limit for Godsmack now! // 10

IV Reviewed by: masterometal666, on june 30, 2006

Sound: Good old, in your face, up your ass Godsmack. The difference is that they have added a few interesting little things in their sound. They have become slightly more melodic than before and used some weird intros on tracks like "Shine Down", which sort of mixed a little bit of honky tonk in with the metal in the beginning and in the solo. Even so, they keep true to their sound with trademark Godsmack riffs in the verses. Overall, it just makes it more interesting, showing that they are evolving into a better band all the time, something that is to be expected of course. They show that they can mellow out with my favorite song on the album, an accoustic number called "Hollow." Using a guest vocalist and very melodic leads, they pull it off quite nicely. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are still the same as always, mostly about how he is better than the man who tries to be like him but always fails to even get close, and instead tries to tear him down so that they will be on the same level ("Enemy"). He's tired of other people bullshiting him ("Truth") Basically it's Godsmack. // 9

Overall Impression: This album may not quite measure up to some previous albums, cheifly thier self-titled one, but it definately doesn't disappoint. Just an all around kick Ass album. The top 5 tracks in my opinion are Livin In Sin, Truth, Shine Down, Enemy, and Hollow. If it was lost, I would definately buy it back. If stolen, I'd beat the shit out of the thief, no question. // 10

IV Reviewed by: _godsmack_, on august 29, 2006

Sound: The band sounds great on this album just like the rest of their albums, has some really good songs but has some acoustics on this CD which is new for the band since all their cds haven't had any acoustic except for 'The Other Side'. The CD is basically rock like they've always done, but has a noticeable bluesier tune to some of the songs. Not their best CD but still is worth buying. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are a lot 'friendlier' I guess you could say, not as hateful as most of their other songs. Seems like they focused more on the music for this album than the lyrics. The lyrics flow nicely with the sound, Sully did a great job keeping his pitch in the same area as what the music was playing. // 9

Overall Impression: 'Speak' is definitely one of the better songs on the album. It has more of a modern rock sound than heavy like most of godsmack's songs in the past have had. 'The Enemy' goes back to the heavy sound, and is one of the only songs on the album that has any crude lyrics. 'One Rainy Day' and 'Shine Down' have the blues sound to them, which the band plays extremely well. Definitely makes this CD worth having whether your a godsmack fan or not. // 9

IV Reviewed by: Stonewall X, on august 31, 2006

Sound: I'm not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed by "Faceless". When I first heard "Speak", I was like "Oh, yeah! This is gonna be awesome". The riff was awesome and the drums sounded pretty cool, too. Then there was the awesome guitar solo by Tony Rombola. Then I bought the CD and, again, was somewhat disappointed. The music was noticeably different. What I mean is that this album's style predominantly keeps to their original formula, but you can easily tell they strayed away from it a little. The riffs on a lot of the songs were more bluesy and not quite as heavy. Plus, on this album there are only a couple of guitar solos, as opposed to their first three albums when there were solos all over the place. The music was cool, but I prefer their earlier material. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics pretty much stayed in line with Godsmack's original style, but with a couple of obvious differences (i.e. Shine Down, Mama). I must admit, though, Sully's lyrics aren't quite up to par with those of "Awake". The same goes for his performance. He does it well, but not quite as well. // 8

Overall Impression: Honestly, I think of "IV" as "Faceless, Pt. 2", only just slightly heavier and darker. In my opinion, "Awake" was Godsmack's best album. Overall, this album is acceptable, but I'm not gonna jump to give this one 10s all over the place. I must say, though, I really did like Speak, Livin' In Sin, Voodoo Too, and Temptation. It's a good album, but not quite as good as "Awake". Needs more solos and heavier riffs. // 7

IV Reviewed by: tannersabata, on december 27, 2006

Sound: Godsmack has more of a country-metal sound, or that's what I call it. I've been a huge Godsmack fan since I heard Voodoo for the first time. They are a good crossbreed of metal-alternative, and have a couple good stoner songs. I picked up a copy of this CD two months ago, and I would say it is one of Godsmack's best. It looked like Godsmack was not going to come with another album for a while. When Shinedown hit the radio, I could see a CD coming, and it did. The only thing I did not like about this CD is the tone and some of the songs' lyrics, it sounded slightly softer than their other CDs. I have three Godsmack CDs in my possesion, and I think it surpassed all other albums of theirs and is a awesome choice for any Godsmack listener. // 8

Lyrics: Sully has a great deep, and sometimes angry voice. It is not an easy singing voice to imitate. The music in IV was heavy in most parts, soft in others. Instead of having heavy lyrics on a soft sound, or soft lyrics on a heavy sound, the lyrics matched the semi-heavy music the entiree time. // 10

Overall Impression: I put four as the number one of Godsmack's albums, and way on up there as opposed to other alternative bands. The songs on this CD I liked most were Shinedown, and One Rainy Day. The thing I love most about this CD was the matching lyrics and music. the thing I hated, though I didn't "hate" any of it was that it only had eleven tracks. If somebody was to steal my CD or I was to lose it, I would definately buy another one. // 10

IV Reviewed by: rip3149, on february 27, 2007

Sound: Unlike the other studio albums, IV takes a more blues-rock approach as opposed to their normal metal approach. It delivers all the goods from the past albums plus a lot more variety of styles and feels toward the music. The bass is very upfront and the guitar is in your face. On the 4th track "Shinedown", the introduction with the harmonica is a great example of the more bluesy feel. The album closer "One Rainy Day" is a prime example of just how much their sound has matured since "Faceless". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are a bit more mature than the previous album "Faceless", a bit. While it's obvious they put more time and effort into these songs, they still deal with the same universal themes of lost love, depravity, and angst. The words do, however, support the music better than the other albums. I would personally say Sully does a lot better job singing this time around than on "The Other Side". The backup vocals are all brilliant and the guest vocalist on "Hollow" does a great job accentuating Sully's vocals. // 8

Overall Impression: For me, personally, this is the Godsmack record to get. It might not be as energetic as "Awake" or "Godsmack" but it sounds better. The solos are inspiring and Tony's leads are second to nothing he's done before. It is one of the finest records of the decade thus far. My favorite songs are "One Rainy Day", "Livin In Sin", and "Temptation". My favorite thing about the album is that it sounds genuine and unlike anything out now. My only complaint would have to be that "Voodoo Too" sounds almost too much like the original Voodoo, until the jaw-dropping solo that is. If someone stole this cd, I'd congratulate the limp-d*ck bastard for having the balls to do so, then rip them off. I wouldn't go too ape-sh*t because I have backed-up on my computer, but I'd be pissed. Buy this CD if you know what's good for you! // 10

IV Reviewed by: sabata777, on april 09, 2007

Sound: As usual, Godsmack came out with another majorly impressive album. This CD unlike before is more country sounding, but yet, it blends well, and I love it although I hate country. I knew that as soon as Speak showed up on the radio, I knew ahead of time that Godsmack had made their return, and even better than before, expecially after songs like Touche. I thought it was great news to know they were making a comeback. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are are in your face, as usual, but then there is Shinedown, which is more of a christian song, and the deeper songs like Mama, one Rainy Day, and Bleeding Me. Of course you have to love Speak, though it did get old, and of course you have to love Shinedown, which is still as good is it was the first time I heard it on the radio. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I am in love with this CD, I listen to it everyday, and I got it a week after it came out. My favorite song shifts, depending on my mood. But other than the more popular songs, Living In Sin, Bleeding Me, and One Rainy Day are my favorites. And I love the harmonica part that Sully plays before the guitar kicks off on Shinedown. Actually, there is nothing I don't like about this CD. // 10

More Godsmack reviews rating latest review
+ 1000hp 5.4 08/07/2014