The Other Side Review

artist: godsmack date: 02/11/2009 category: compact discs
godsmack: The Other Side
Released: Mar 16, 2004
Genre: Rock
Tones: Brooding, Cathartic, Earnest, Tense/Anxious, Acerbic, Rousing, Gritty, Fierce, Lively
Style: Post-Grunge
 Lyrics: 9.8
 9.8
 9.8
 9.7
The Other Side Reviewed by: sk8erdude137, on march 27, 2007

Sound: I thought the soound was great. The guitars in it were great and it has a nice little vibe to it. The way they took 4 of their really good songs and did it acoustic was amazing. Plus the other new songs were great too. The three new songs that they did for this album were extremeley good too. I loved how they balanced the music with good lyrics. It just goes to show that Godsmack has amazing talent. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were great. I might be a little biased on this because I love Godsmack but the lyrics are really good and Sully Erna is an extremeley talented singer. The song that espically stood out to me on the album was "Running Blind" and "Voices". Those two really stood out to me because they really meant something to me. The other songs have really good lyrics too. Espicially "Asleep". // 9

Overall Impression: This is a really good album and some of my friends say it sucks and Godsmack should have never done it but I thought this was a really good album. The lyrics were great, and the music was great, overall this was an awesome album. When I got this album it was like mabey $9 and I was like wow! Because this was a really good album. I'm a fan for acoustic music because that is what I learned to play guitar on and I was just really interested in this album first because I absolutley love Godsmack and second because I thought it was really cool that they did acoustic. So I say you should go out and buy this album. // 9

The Other Side Reviewed by: gavencaplon, on march 22, 2004

Sound: Godsmack's acoustic sound is awesome. If you listen to rock radio you have probably heard their first singe, Running Blind. The album only gets better from there. Songs like Touche, and Voices have a very Godsmack feel to them which is not a bad thing. The songs that they have taken from the old and made new again are: Re-Align, Keep Away, and Spiral. The music and even the lyrics follow along with similar styles to the original versions. The last track on the album is titled Asleep. It is essentially Awake, but it is revamped and rearranged. Sully has taken one of Godsmack's heavier songs and turned it into an acoustic masterpiece with this track. It sounds and flows nicely. // 10

Lyrics: Anyone who is a Godsmack fan knows that Sully Erna's lyrics are full of spirituality and very deep into karma, fate and reincarnation. Since some of the songs are just new versions of old the lyric quality for those tracks is the same. The new songs like I said had a very Godsmack feel to them. I also said it wasnt a bad thing. And of course I mean it. The songs are well written and the lyrics, as Sully always does, paint pictures for the listener. Sully is a very talented song writer and singer and he really proves it here. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this album is so far my favorite of 2004. I have bought about half a dozen cds and hands down this is the best. I am a huge Godsmack fan and own all the cds. I would say that this is my overall second Godsmack favorite. Favor going to the self titled, but only because it is longer. I think that Godsmack could have gone as far to put at least three more tracks on this new cd. Since there are only three new songs, they could have maybe thrown on some other old favorites like Releasing the Demons, Whatever, Time Bomb, or Goin' Down. Overall however, this album is as hard rockin as you can get without an electric guitar. // 10

The Other Side Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 08, 2004

Sound: The sound and melodies of this album are great. This unplugged side of Godsmack is one few bands can accomplish. The remakes sound just as good as they would normally, "Re-Align", "Keep Away", "Spiral" and the made for acustics "Asleep" are all sung well and played well. Dispite only 7 Songs the melodies and solos are pleasing and soung Great. // 10

Lyrics: Godsmack chose four classic good songs to use so the lyrics are exalent from those four. The three new songs have great lyrics fitting the soft-intensity of the guitars, light bass and drums. Touche though agreat song is free advertising for Dropbox. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an all around awesome album! I love this album, if it was stolen I would hun whoever took it down destroy them take his or her money and buy the CD again. There is nothing I can find wrong with it with the acceptation of only haveing 7 songs totaling less then 30 minutes of music. but overall it's worth the 7 doller price. // 10

The Other Side Reviewed by: metallman, on february 11, 2009

Sound: The switch to acoustic is not only a suprise, but very refreshing. There aren't many bands that can pull of the acoustic approach to music (when they normally play with heavy distortion on nothing but electrics), but here is one. With three new songs and four "remixed" ones, Godsmack has definately earned their place in rock stardom. The solo on "Keep Away" definately shows that the bands musical influences vary from just about anything and everything, and "Asleep", the revemped version of "Awake", is by far a symbol of their genius in writing. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, this album is about on the same level as the rest of their albums, with the exception that it is geared more toward the acoustic sound. Sully shows in this work that he isn't all about the screaming anger of "Faceless" or "Awake". He shows a softer side that everyone can appreciate, and it works for them. As for vocal work, I'm still trying to figure out who is snoring at the end of "Asleep"... // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far their best album to date. If you have never listened to Godsmack before, then this would probably be the one to get you hooked. The songs that really stand out are "Touch", "Running Blind", and "Spiral". The acoustic touch on "Spiral" really brings out the feeling in that song, and you can understand the meaning behind it a bit better than the original. If this album were stolen from me, I would definately end up in jail for assault (theiving sunuvabich deserves it), and yes, I would look in every store to find it. This is a must have for any music collection. // 10

More Godsmack reviews rating latest review
+ The Oracle 7.5 05/04/2010