From Mars To Sirius Review

gojira: From Mars To Sirius
Release Date: Sep 27, 2005
Label: Prosthetic
Genres: Heavy Metal, Death Metal/Black Metal
This is possibly one of the greatest CD's from 2005 and it's a must buy for any metal fan.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 9.6
 9.3
 9.8
From Mars To Sirius Reviewed by: CheifSlapAhoe, on february 21, 2007

Sound: When I first picked up this CD, I was skeptical about the whole Whale thing. But once the first track "Ocean Planet" started to play I was blown away by the sound. Not only is this CD's guitar technical, but the drums I found were just as great. The bass was kinda low key in this record as compared to some of their other cd's but the guitar easily made up for the lack of bass. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD were pretty good, which is hard to find in metal bands from other countries. But I really enjoyed how the songs were all written in first person. The lyrics are solid, but once you actually listen and read them, it seems that these lyrics don't fit with the song. But somehow Gojira makes the songs fit well with the sound of the album. // 8

Overall Impression: In my honest opinion, this is possibly one of the greatest CD's from 2005 and it's a must buy for any metal fan. If your looking for a really good intro song I would recommend "Ocean Planet" or "Backbone" another good but long song is "Flying Whales". The main reason why I love Gojira is their sound, it's honestly like nothing that is out right now. Like I said before I would highly recommend this CD to anyone who likes bands like Lamb Of God, All That Remains, or just music from Europe. // 10

From Mars To Sirius Reviewed by: dm1925, on december 24, 2009

Sound: First and foremost, you have NEVER heard a band like Gojira before. This is a band that is so unlike anything else out there, it makes it hard to put them into a genre. The closest you'll get is "Death Metal" but even that isn't at all close to what they are. The sound of the album itself is very polished, it is easy to hear everything, the bass has a bit of trouble cutting through, but it is audible. The only small annoyance is the layering of the vocals seems a little much, but it does add to the overall Gojira sound. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this record are solid, and give a sort of cosmic feeling (Heaviest Matter of the Universe). They deal with the environment, self enlightenment, and of course, flying whales. The lyrics fit the music well (Ocean Planet definitely gives the feeling of being by the sea.), but the gem on this album is the song Backbone. The lyrics are very uplifting and inspirational. Overall great lyrics, although the English grammar is a bit shifty at times. // 9

Overall Impression: This album never goes a week without being played at my house. This record never loses its touch for me. I always feel like I am listening to it for the first time. From Mars to Sirius is without a doubt the best album of the decade, unparalleled in beauty and pure heaviness. You won't be disappointed. // 10

More Gojira reviews rating latest review
+ L'Enfant Sauvage 7.6 07/06/2012