Chronicles Of Life And Death Review

artist: good charlotte date: 09/13/2007 category: compact discs
good charlotte: Chronicles Of Life And Death
Released: Oct 5, 2004
Genre: Rock
Good Charlotte definetly tried to accumulate more influences in their music. The lyrics are practically the same emotional, slightly whiny type.
 Lyrics: 8.1
 7.5
 8.2
 6.8
Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 17, 2005

Sound: The sound on this CD is amazing. To put it simply, this band is amazing. It's just 5 guys and they give it their all and do an awesome job! This cd really caught people off guard. It sounds like nothing Good Charlotte has ever done before. They took it to the limit and tried different things. It's cool that they tried something new. I'm sure people miss the old Good Charlotte with no keyboard, but this new sound is awesome and it doesn't take a long time to get used to. // 8

Lyrics: These lyrics are fantastic. They are so personal. These guys have an amazing writing talent and they express it in a good manner. Joel even said that this cd is going to be like a diary and he wasn't lying. This is the most personal thing they've ever done. They really open up and you can see what their lives are like. I personally think that Joel has an amazing voice. He doesn't try to do better than what he can, and he always does his best. Even at a live concert, he never falters. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD blew my mind away. When I first listened to it I wasn't even sure if I was still listening to Good Charlotte; it was so different than what they've done before. This CD really tested their skills. They decided to not care what people would think and did what they wanted to. I'm glad they did that because fans got to hear a different side of Good Charlotte. I love all of the songs. "SOS" is wonderful, I love the guitar solo in it. "The World Is Black" is another great song, really expresses their views on things. One thing I don't really like is all the keyboard and production. It's just not the Good Charlotte I'm used to. If my cd was stolen I would definitely buy it again. I bought both "Life" and "Death" so I don't think I'll have to worry about going on a Good Charlotte shortage. // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: pumpkins_rule, on october 11, 2004

Sound: Well here it is folks. Another horrible album by a horrible band. The sound on this album is so bad it can't be described. The guitar is simple, the singing is bad, and the skill level it takes to play these songs is mediocre. As heard on their first single "Predictable" the vocals get annoying fast and the riffs used are very simple and boring. Even when they try to do a guitar solo, they drown it out in background noise. Can they do anything right? // 4

Lyrics: Ugh. Super angsty lyrics. These guys have millions of dollars yet they can't seem too write about anything but about how bad their lives are. Seriously, write bout something else! These lyrics are immature and it should be illegal for him to hold a pencil or pen. The sad thing is millions of teenagers (mostly girls) around the world think these lyrics are good and inspiring. Please. My cat could write better lyrics. Of course, the lyrics and music both go hand in hand, seeing as both are terrible. // 2

Overall Impression: I seriously think you should stay away from this album. It's a tad better then their other piles of garbage, but this one still doesn't make it out of the dumpster. The saddest part is that Greedy Charlotte put out to versions of the album, while only changing one song. Like how greedy can you get? Now they'll make twice as much seeing as all their fans will buy two copies. If I got this album for my birthday I'd lose it on purpose. I'd much rather buy a Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd album. So dear reader, if you are a Good Charlotte fan then there is no better chance to change your ways and listen to some good music like Zeppelin or Floyd. // 2

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: VANILLAICERAWKS, on october 14, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is very good. Production wise, its much better than their older stuff. Tyath was almost ruined by its horrible production and mixing - the guitars were mixed too low and the vocals were mixed too high, creating a really bad sound that wasn't crisp or tight sounding. This CD is the opposite. The guitars sound crisp, the drums sound tight, the bass sounds great, the vocals aren't as high pithced, everything's better. The musicianship isn't really as simple as it was on their previous stuff either. While its still nothing extremely difficult, some riffs and solos are slightly difficult to play (like SOS). The drums are much better, and the fills sound awesome. The band also used alot of pianos, strings, synth, and alot more which ends up adding to the sound. If you were a fan of their older stuff, you'll still probably like this. Songs like "The Chronicles Of Life And Death", "Secrets", "Mountain", and "Falling Away" don't stray far from the band's older pop-punk sound. But even if you HATED GC before, you'll still probably love this album. Theres the hard rock sound of "Walk Away", the disco/dance/rock/pop/rap sound of "I Just Wanna Live", some Muse influences in "Ghost Of You", and a heavy Nirvana influenced track called "In This World". Basically, theres something for everybody. // 8

Lyrics: Angsty, personal, clever, easy to relate to. Lines like "Money talks/In this world/Thats what idiots will say/But you'll find out/That this world/Is just an idiot's parade" and are pretty funny, and then theres more serious lines like "We are all the same/Human in all our ways and all our pain" and "Turn on channel 7 at a quarter to 8/You see the same damn thing its just a different day/and, I can't live while this world just keeps dying". All the topics on this album are easy to understand because their mostly about the world we live in today. Theres also a couple of good emo songs on here, like "Mountain": "Was it on a mountain?/When it came, when it came, to me/That all my life's been wasted/Chasing shallow dreams". Basically everything is less shallow than it was on Tyath, but it still keeps the humorous and relatable qualities. // 8

Overall Impression: Personally I think this album is a huge step up for the band. People are obviously going to see growing pains on this album, but if you don't look for them, you won't hear them. If you just forget all the before-hand thoughts about Good Charlotte and try to enjoy this album for what is well, you probably will then. // 8

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2004

Sound: I was a big fan of Good Charlotte until I got this CD. Their happy, meaningless pop-punk past is gone, and this "more mature" Good Charlotte is junk. Gone are the catchy beats, the peppy guitar playing. This CD is composed of mostly slower, quieter songs and few catchy tunes. however, several songs manage to sound like the old GC, so this CD's sound isn't all bad. // 6

Lyrics: It's pretty ironic that their first big hit was about celebrities who complain about everything and this whole CD is complaining. The lyrics here are just as shallow as ever, but now they don't even have positive lyrics. I didn't mind Joel Madden's voice when it's accompanied by enough music, but on this CD he tries too hard to do slow songs and fails. // 2

Overall Impression: I was really dissappointed with this CD. The only songs that are remotely good on this album are "Secrets" which sounds like the old GC, and "I Just Wanna Live" which is strange because it sounds the least like the old GC. If this CD were lost or stolen I probably wouldn't notice or care because I'm too busy listening to better, harder working bands like New Found Glory. // 4

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: GuitarMaster41, on january 06, 2005

Sound: Oh my, this CD really makes Good Charlotte even worse than what they were on their previous CD's. Unfortunetly, the sound has dropped from "OK" to "horrible". When I say "horrible" I really mean honestly the worst sounds. It is just that same power chord beat over and over throughout the songs. The rhythm in just about all their songs on this CD sounded the same to me. This made the CD get really boring and not even worth while listening to. I was really hoping the sound would improve but it has just gotten worse. // 2

Lyrics: Wait a minute, was I hearing lyrics on this CD or just grubbish? From what I recall, the lyrics are completely absurd. They are the same everyday stuff you hear. His voice sounds like he is trying to be emo or something. Whining about everything bad that has happened to them and stuff. During the verses it doesn't sound like lyrics to me at all. This is probably the main thing I hope would improve with them. But uh, my little cousin could make better lyrics than this junk. // 2

Overall Impression: Uh, this CD would probably compare to the Backstreet Boys. Only, the Backstreet Boys are better in my opinion. At least their singer can sing good and not the same old thing in every song. I don't even think their hit single, "Predictable" is impressive to me at all. The only thing I love about this CD is that its CD case can be used as a coaster for my drinks. Other than that, I hate just about everything. And no, I would not buy this if it got lost. I am depressed I even wasted my money on it. Anyways, I suggest everyone stay away from this CD. // 2

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 04, 2004

Sound: I would say this cd has that "Good Charlotte" sound: mushy guitars, and barely there drum beats. But Good Charlotte definetly tried to accumulate more influences in their music. Songs like "The Truth", "I Just Wanna Live", and "In This World (Murder)" show that the band can add alittle diversity to their music. "I Just Wanna Live" has some hip-hop creativity in it which is really cool. I also like the fact that can put some slower piano songs on the cd which makes the sound appealing to more people. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are practically the same emotional, slightly whiny type. But I think we are all slightly whiny at one time or another. Perfect for GC fans. The lyrics get particually darker as the cd progresses, which isnt exactly a shocker. Average. // 6

Overall Impression: I think the guitar work could be better, but I wouldnt expect grandiose solos from a pop-punk bad. I think GC fans would think that this CD is the best of the best. I just think its good. It's a keeper. If I lost it, I would buy it again. The songs on this album are the kind that you find yourself humming or singing to yourself long after you hear them. If a cd can do that, then I think its worth buying. The songs are catchy. // 8

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 07, 2004

Sound: The bands sound has progressively matured over the years. The tunes are much more catchy and dig much deeper. They spent almost 8 months recording this and their hard work has definetly paid off. This album rocks! // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics to this album have improved dramatically in this album and shows Good Charlotte have much more potential then shown in 'The Young And The Hopeless'. Their lyrics can certainly pull some heart strings. Joels voice definetly matches the mood to the music and I couldn't imagine anyone else being able to pull it off. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is much better then the pop and hip hop crap. The most impressive songs are S.O.S because it has a catchy tune and great lyrics, Mountain because the lyrics and the tunes to this song are the greatest and and We Believe because it reminds us of the issues around the world & the words are inspiring. If I lost this CD I would definetly buy it again. // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 11, 2004

Sound: The bands music in this cd is a little different from their other CD's. Some songs has that same sound that Good Charlotte always has, but other ones are very different, like "I Just Wanna Live" and "Ghost Of You." They kind of have a poppy backround, and a very catchy beat. The song "The Truth, " has a very differnt sound also, and almost seems like it would be a blues song. The singing on that track is very unique also, Joels voice takes a different style which we haven't really heard before. Also, songs like "Walk Away" and "In This World" have a much harder edge to them. The sounds on all of the songs are all diverse, which in my opinion is very cool. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in this CD are pretty good. The rhymes and words are pretty catchy. Sometimes they tend to repeat things and certain words a lot, but it works out and goes good with the songs. Some songs the lyrics are pretty deep and dark and you can really feel and hear the emotion in their voice. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is really good and I would recommend a lot of you to check it out. I have a friend who always said she hated Good Charlotte, until I popped this CD in. It changed her veiws about them and now she listens to them all the time. If this CD were stolen I would definitely buy it again. Actually I have two copies anyways, but I just said that to prove a point. Good Charlotte is awesome and so is this CD, so if you haven't got it yet, what are you waiting for? // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 16, 2004

Sound: Personally I think there TYATH was their best, this one is great though. I love it really, but the 2 versions thing is kinda wack, but you could always but one and a friend buy the other a switch off but o well. I love all the songs on this except for "It Wasn't Enough"... It sounds kinda weird to me like the beat and the lyrics dont go together good or something but "I Just Wanna Live" has got to be the best, with that catchy beat in the beginning and in the rest of the song. People I know hate GC but after listenin to that song they got hooked! It's an awesome CD. // 10

Lyrics: I think their lyrics are really down to earth. Since they've been through a lot then they have something to write about unlike some artists who don't even write their own lyrics. It's amazing at what some people can do with a pen and a peice of paper. The only downside to the lyrics is that their all negative unlike their other 2 albums. They all have like death, money, and all the other stuff that bring songs down, but other than that the lyrics rock. // 8

Overall Impression: I think that this album is real original. Except a few do remind me of other songs. Like if you listen closely "S.O.S" sounds like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" I think. I think the most impressive song on this album is "Chronicles Of Life And Death" it's not like its super good, it's just good and it's kinda like summing ur whole life into 3mins with a catchy beat. I love the fact the GC can make music that they love and not care what other people say about it. There's nothing I hate about GC. If I lost it I would buy it agian(and maybe onther copy just in case). If some body stole it I would hunt them down, and beat em with the album and steal there money to but another one cuz I broke mine when I hit em with it. // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: {@ FLiNG @}, on october 18, 2004

Sound: Good Charlotte has made tremendous progress since their first self-titled debut album. They still sound like the pop punk they are but more mature. Listen to any one song 2 - 3 times and immediately you'll be humming it or trying to tab it out on your guitar. They use pretty heavy distortion on this album and their is a lack of solos, or rather there is a lack of "memorable" solos. Their piano pieces are fantastic however. Really, bottomline, it's Good Charlotte playing their best! // 8

Lyrics: Don't take their lyrics at face value, they cover alot of serious issues on this album. His voice gets whiny on one or two tracks but nothing that makes you want to turn off your CD player and this could just be me being picky as a I'm a lead singer myself. Great lyrics. Good voice. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is worth buying, bottomline. It far surpasses their last two albums. It seems these boys are taking the Sum 41 approach, look at both artists albums and you'll see what I mean. They both debuted as pop-punkers, got big on their second albums and matured big-time with their third. Now the question is, "Will Good Charlotte follow through on their fouth album?" I'd bet my Stratocaster on it. // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 18, 2004

Sound: This album has a much better sound then the other two albums. On TYATH alot of the songs sounded like the songs on the first album, like "Day That I Die" sounded like "I Don't Wanna Stop". But this album doesn't sound like anything this band has done before. The guitar work is a little more complicated and I love the keyboard in "Gohst Of You". // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are alot more muture then on the previous two albums. On TYATH and "Good Charlotte" all the songs were about how to get through highschool, but on this album it's about how life really is. My favorite lyric on this album is in the song "We Believe" its "no one really knows what they are searching for this world is crying for so much more". Joel's singing has really steped up on this album, now he sings with the upper region of his voice to and the harmonies are amazing! // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favorite GC album and it's deffinitly one of my all time favorite albums. If you don't buy the album though, you have to atleast check out the songs: "Murder (In This world)," "We Believe," "The Chronicals Of Life And Death" and "Ghost Of You". This album only has one filler and thats "It wasn't enough" but other then that I could listenin to this CD all the way through. If something happend to this CD I would deffinetly buy it agian! This album is amazing! // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: rancidrocker, on november 08, 2004

Sound: GC make leaps and Bounds From Young And The Hopeless on this album. I think they've found their style. With lots of added intrumentation this album is much fuller than Y&H or their debut. Some songs remind me of back during they songs Christmas By The Phone and Can't Go On. As far as the bands musical ablitiys go; the drums are good, GC's drums have always been good, so that no surprise. Bass makes more of an apperance, but still you can't really hear it. Guitar wise well in some cases Benji and Billy have gotten better, in others well you get the picture. If they would have atleast put 2 good solos on this album it would have brought my rating up but God Benji you've been playing for 8 years and you still can't write a decent solo? Vocals are not too good, Joel goes back to the whining he did on their debut (I absolutly con not stand his whining), but he does song in an edgier voice, on the song The Truth he almost sounds like Ray Charles, pretty funny actully, Benji's harmonys are as good as ever. // 6

Lyrics: These lyrics are probably the bigest step up from The Young And The Hopeless. They have much more thought put into them than "This is the Anthem throw all your hands up!" I belive they've really grown as song writers. And on I just Wanna Live they even mention the controversy that came with Life Styles of The Rich And Famous. // 10

Overall Impression: This album may very well be GC's best. All the songs have to be heard, all of them have something excelnt about them. Alot of thease songs really ment something to me, like It Wasn't Enough, the Truth and In This World (Murder). If this album was lost or stolen would I buy it again? Well it depends. Theis album is good but not very good. I'd probably buy it and something else if I had enough money, because this album has almost an epic feeling to it. // 8

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 08, 2004

Sound: This CD is full of below average songs and below average lyrics. The one bright spot on this cd is I just wanna live. I like this song because it breaks away from the incrdibly angsty sounds of the other songs. No guitar solos, no guitar anything! Just download I just wanna live and save yourself 20 bucks. // 6

Lyrics: These guys hold a grudge! I think that we have all figured out that these guys are pretty upset about one thing or another. Mainly their dad walking out on them. We all had to suffer through young and hopless, we all know how sad you guys are. Now give us something new! Or at least bring back slightly better songs like the anthem. // 4

Overall Impression: I have been knocking this album this whole review. The truth is is that this is your average angry band. They don't even sound like punk anymore. I love punk! I don't love this! I would not buy this again if I lost it because I would already have the 1 good song on this album downloaded. // 6

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: ror, on november 17, 2004

Sound: The sound is verry new they explore many generes in this album. The song I Just Wanna Live is more pop then not. But if you don't get the sarcasam in the song then your not listening hard enough. Joel Madden "were giving the haters something to hate." says the lead singer about thier song I Just Wanna Live. There is some of their softest stuff on this album and also some upbeat songs to rock out to. Good Charlotte have developed some trade marks now by thier 3rd album, like the instrumental first tracks on 2 of their cd's also the hidden tracks after the last songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on Chronicles meanings are not as hidden as there last albums where. With 2 years on the road behind them they have a lot of experiences to sing about which show thorugh in the lyrics on the Chronicles. // 10

Overall Impression: As Blink 182's newst album showed as well they boys of Good Charlotte have grown up alot over the last two years. Top songs: I Just Wanna Live, The World Is Black, Secrets. The album comes in two different versions Life And Death the last track on each is different. If you are reading this and dont have a copy go buy 1 it is brilliant. // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: avril_chick01, on november 24, 2004

Sound: This is GC's thrid album one of their best if you ask me. With sweet solos by Billy, amazing drumming by Chris, perfect harmonies by Benj and Joel and smooth bass licks by Paul it sounds all perfect. The Chronicles Of Life And Death starts off with a instumental like on 2002's The Young And The Hopeless but this time no punk style guitars come in. "Once Upon A Time..." was written by Benji Madden himself with the help of Eric Valentine. Overall it took seven months to create "The Chronicles" and GC couldn't have done better. The Reason For Life Version And Death Version: "When we were making the album we thought what we would have wanted our favourite band to have done so we made the Life and Death versions." - Benji Madden. "So now all the "life" kids can fight with all the "death" kids on which is better!" - Joel Madden. This album has so many hidden messages and stories behind evey song no wonder Good Charlotte are so proud of their work. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on the old album are alot different to the current album. Like "Predictable" has angry lyrics but "The Truth" has mellow lyrics. Joel and benji's vocies on this album ranges from low, normal to highish (but not high enough to be Justin Hawkins from The Darkness!) Joel's voice on "Mountain" ranges from mellow and 'very finch like' through the song. He sings "I wasn't on a mountain, when it came to me." in a very low voice but when you listen to it on headphones it sounds like GC's in your room or where ever you're listening to it. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to other GC albums I'd rate this one 10/10 because although it still has some of the old Good Charlotte sound, they manage to make it sound different. I'd say that the most impressive songs on the album are: Walk Away, Predictable, Secrets, The Truth, We Believe, In This World. I love: the songs with inspirering Lyrics and happy tunes. I hate: not much! No, I think that they should have some more punk and ska style stuff like on 2000's release Good Charlotte. If someone stole it or knowing me I lost it I'd defenitly buy it again, there's no doubt about that one! So go on get it Life or Death Version it doesn't matter what you like. Keep Respresentin' GC cuz they're representin' you! // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: leftdented, on november 25, 2004

Sound: Good Charlotte's new cd is a little more into the world than 'The Young And The Hopeless' album. This whole album is based on life, and how we are all the same, more of a mellow/up-beat creation like the 'Good Charlotte.' I do recomend this cd is bought, it's very well thought out and brings more reasoning to the band. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics to this album are all the same. Moans about life and moans about everyone having the same lives. Joel tries to sing high pitched in a lot of songs, and his screaming is an attempt you dont want to miss because it is funny. In most of the slow songs, the lyrics are complying to death. Joel sings a lot better in this cd than in the first one, but not better than the second. // 8

Overall Impression: For a newer punkish band, Good Charlotte still have things to learn, but I am sure in time it will all come because they are still happy to be in a band. The more favoured songs wuold be 'Predictable,' 'Sos' and 'The World Is Black' and if you happen to buy the death version of this cd 'Meet My Maker'. I like this cd's impression about life, and enjoy the drum riffs in it, the guitaring in this cd has improved vastly since the last album if this album was lost or stolen I would certainly buy it again. // 8

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 29, 2004

Sound: The first thing I noticed when listening to Good Charlotte's new album was what I kick ass job the guitarists did. They have definitely created a darker atmosphere for the album which is very evident in tracks like "Ghost Of You" & "In This World (Murder)". The range of sounds on this album is what really stood out for me from the bubble gum like sound of the title track to the almost rap inspired "I Just Wanna Live" to the very dark and heavy "In This World (Murder)" there is surely something for everyone. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album have definitely matured quite significantly. Instead of talking about the usual dad leaving home and punk kids who have no home they move on to more intelligent issues such as the world and what fame does to people. Benji Madden definitely shows he has talent and that he isn't just another average punk-pop singer. // 10

Overall Impression: The Chronicle Of Life & Death is definatley Good Charlotte's best album to date. It also good to see that they were able to make a third first impression with this album. The most impressive songs on this album I believe are: "Walk Away", "Ghost Of You", "Mountain" & "In This world (Murder)". I'd have to say the thing I loved most about this album was its deversity in sound every song sounds different & great in its own way. If there was one thing I had to say I didnt like about this album I could honestly not tell you anything, the album is amazing. // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 23, 2004

Sound: When Good Charlotte made Billy their keyboard player also, it made the album sound much fuller. Also the strings on this album were very good. In the begining of "Predictable" they have the strings go on. Also on this album Good Charlotte uses more of clean electric and acoustic guitars. Although I don't like that they brought in another guitar on "I Just Wanna Live". They should just stick to the two they have all the time. I also think that putting out "I Just Wanna Live" as a single was a bad choice. People that are not their fans are going to think that they are a Pop group who have high voices. Totally the oppisite. Songs like "SOS" and "Walk Away" would have been a much better choice. Good Charlotte has made their sound go from a 4 to 10. Excellent work. // 10

Lyrics: Benji and Joel Madden really dug in deep with the lyrics on this album. They really show the darker side of the band. Their not just singing about their Dad and how poor they were growing up. The one thing I don't like is when Joel goes falsetto on "I Just Wanna Live" and raps on "Predictable" you're a rocker, not a soul singer or rapper! They really wrote what they think. I think thats why people hate them. They voice their opinions. That was a key thing on this album. Great lyrics can go a long way. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of GC's best albums. I wouldn't say its their best but I love it. The one thing that bugged me though was that the lyrics inside the album don't match with the lyrics they're singing. Otherwise I play it constantly. Great sound with great lyrics equal one great album! // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 27, 2004

Sound: I think there sound is a lot more harder and cooler than their last two albums, but its lost pretty much of their old kinda happy and upbeat style, but I like it! The first song is obviously not them, but it sounds kinda creepy and eerie. The violins are in nearly every song which kinda gets annoying after a while, but they do go well with the music. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics - well I really like them, they are quite meaningful and funny! They go well and flow with the music, I think Joel has a wicked voice, and the rapping he does in Predictable is cool, I think its more talking than rapping. // 8

Overall Impression: I think that its a wicked album, and is their best so far! I was freaked out when I first heard the first song The battle of life and death, but I've grown to it. So far, my favourite song is I Just Wanna Live, one of the only upbeat songs on the album. The only problem is that it doesn't play on my computer so I cant put it on my mp3 player, which resulted in me slamming down the cd case, but I would buy it again if I lost it, preferably one that works! I would advise you to get it, but it seems that Good Charlotte, like Blink 182 and Sum 41 have opted for a more mature sound which is cool, but I prefer all of their old stuff! // 8

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: rayzyn, on december 27, 2004

Sound: They are the most experimental band to add in instrumental (violins and the lot) to their songs. Given with their reputation as punk-pop-rock, they managed to pull it off and make them sound more unique. The instruments and vocals are nicely mixed so no one instrument or vocal sound way too loud than the other. The songs are pretty catchy. I like the little guitar solo they did in SOS. // 10

Lyrics: Their lyrics are darker and there's a lot of thoughts. There isn't much playful ones like they have in the Young and the Hopeless. They did not sing about dad leaving and being left alone like they did in the previous album. The lyrics for "I Just Wanna Live" is like having them trying to "retort" against what other people said about them and make reference to one of their hit single from The Young And The Hopeless, "Lifestyles Of The Rich And The Famous." // 10

Overall Impression: Initially, when I first heard this cd, I wasn't that enthusiastic because I prefer The Young And The Hopeless album. But after I heard it for a few more times, I start to like the sound to it and is actually quite refreshing from what other band of the same genre sound like. They really do not care about what other people say about them, if not they would not have try to add in instrumental. The songs are catchy after listening for a while and you'll find yourself trying to strum and sing along with them. Most of the songs in this album are my favourites and I have different reasons for liking each of them because they are different in their own way. And, I must add, Billy draws really well! // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 28, 2004

Sound: Good Charlotte is back with their 3rd album! As AP put it "The Most Anticipated release of 2004" and it surely is for a lot of people. Their pervious albums had punk-pop, punk-revival all over them. And they were good! This time Good Charlotte get's darker, but still will be described as a punk-pop band. The intro is crepy gothic with strings, and singing in Japanese. They use alot of keyboard as on Walk Away, Ghost Of You and The World Is Black. There is also some real heavy stuff on the album. In In This World (Murder), and Meet My Maker, wich was guitarist Billy Martin's idea. And all this put together; it sounds awesome! // 10

Lyrics: This is definatly the best lyrics GC has ever written. And the lyrics on We Belive, deals with a woman that have lost her son in the Iraq war, and may be the best song ever written! "There's a Woman Crying out Tonigh, Her world has changes, She asked God why?, Her only son has died, and now her daugher cries". And Ghost Of You wich is about missing someone that is dead. The World Is Black has also awesome lyrics. Joel's voice is better than ever, and he really show us that he is an fantastic singer. And the harmonies is just awesome! // 10

Overall Impression: This is truly a masterpiece. And it gives you an epic feel after you have listened to it! It's better than the 2 previous albums, and to be better than their 2002 release, shows that it really is an awesome album. Beacuse TYATH is a legendary album in the punk-pop genre. The songs that stands out the most for me are Walk Away, SOS, The World Is Black, We Belive, In This World (Murder), and Meet My Maker (Death Version). // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: Nitro_Blaze, on january 06, 2005

Sound: The sound was pretty good, but not the best there is. I found that they used more extra sounds, and a little less solid guitar. Unfortunately, I found that once upon a time, the battle between life and death to be quite an annoying tune, and it did not at all work with the rest of the songs in the album. If it were my CD, I would've excluded that song and saved it for a different album, but hey, it ain't my band. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics were amazing. Good Charlotte did an awesome job pulling the vocals together in this one. I really felt that how they wrote both "The World Is Black" and "We Believe" excellent. And they really went together with the music. Perfect tune on their part. The vocals were what really impressed me. It sounded like they used a few voice editors in a few of their songs, but it still pulled the lyrics together with the instruments, even if some of the songs had un-favourable sound quality. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I'd say that this is a really good CD. Definately worth buying. if you do purchase this album, I recommend listening to "Predictable", "The world Is Black", and, of course, "We Believe." Unfortunately, as with every CD, there are cons. Some of the Background music sounded like something out of N'Sync, or The Backstreet Boys, especiall in "Just Wanna Live" and "The World Is Black" (The World Is Black is still a good song though!) So, overall, awesome CD, just a little "Pop-y", that's all. I reccomend this CD to you all. // 8

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 13, 2005

Sound: Okay. This sound is so different from the other 2 albums. The background music is a bit pop-y as someone said, but that from an instrument called a keybaord. That Beilly plays in the band. I really like how this is deeper and more emotional than the other 2 albums, and it really shows their growth in their music. I really like "SOS," and "Mountain," and the bass in "Predictable" is really awesome. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. They make sense and some apply to me. I understand where they're coming from and I think its appropriate for a band like them, who have gone through hard times in the past. Joel has a nice voice, in my opinion. It's not scratchy and deep and scary or anything, and it flows nicely with the sound of the album. // 10

Overall Impression: I love the whole album. The songs arent like the samew thing but they used a thesaurus to change the words around, like a Simple Plan album, the songs are all different in their own special ways. All of the songs impess me. I'm easily impressible. But this isn't about me so yeah, moving on, if my copy were stolen or lost I'd cry my eyes out, then I'd go to a CD place and buy it again. // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: tre_n_benjis_gi, on january 18, 2005

Sound: I thought album didn't sound a lot like the old GC, but it's really different. The strings started to get a bit annoying after a while, but they sound good with the songs. The sound is a bit more poppy compared to there old stuff, but its great anyway! // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics were really true, I can relate to a lot of there lyrics and they sound really good! It's a bit more darker and mature than some of theyre old lyrics but its really different. Joel is such a great singer! He has a voice thats not dark even thou some of the lyrics are. // 10

Overall Impression: The CD rocks! When I first played it and heard Once Apon A Time: The Battle For Life & Death I thought most of the album was going to be crap, but after I listened to a few other songs I thought it was really good! Billy is great on keyboard! Joel singing The Truth really didn't sound right, but it's different anyway. If my copy was stolen or lost I wouldn't have a bit of a sook then go out and buy another copy. This CD rocks! // 8

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 31, 2005

Sound: The CD sounds alot different to the 2 previous CDs but not in all the songs. There new style has a good feel to it but songs like "We Believe" and "SOS" have more of the original GC feel. I would not give this a higher rating then the previous albums but still has an excellent sound. // 10

Lyrics: I like to compare this album to the other albums as you can see. The lyrics do not have as much meaning in them as the previous albums the songs are more fun then feelings I would say, but the lyrics are overall good. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is alot better then albums released by simple plan and Blink 182 (not saying I dont like there albums) but not there previous albums. The best songs on the album would have to be "The World Is Black," "I Just Wanna Live," "We Believe" and "SOS." I love the whole album because it still has that punk feel and if it were was stolen or lost it would definetly be worth while to get another copy. The album is overall excellent and I would recommend it to anyone. // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2005

Sound: I was very suprised when I heard this song. I never would of thought Good Charlotte was capable of such an amazing, mature, and dark sounding song. In my opinion this is there best sounding song so far. Mainly because of the way the sound draws people in straight away, so people can apprciate everthing else. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing. Again I was suprised that Good Charlotte could come up with such captivating lyrics. This one captures a persons life. They are perfect for the great sounding sound. Also even the pop star like voice of the lead singer becomes mature and good. // 10

Overall Impression: This song does not compare to any of there other songs. This one song changed my view of Good Charlotte. It finally shows that the band have talent. I love everything I have commented on. I hate nothing about the songs, even the fact that it is Good Charlotte. Even if it were stolen I'd buy it again. // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 06, 2005

Sound: The sound has definitely changed from their previous album. On the previous album I almost loved every song on that album (my favourites being The Anthem, Young And The Hopeless, Hold On and Wondering). But on their new album some songs are quite repetitive, almost annoying. I think that GC have matured further in the production of this album. "I Just Wanna Live" is a total different style as they kinda rap out the verses and then jam the chorus. "Predictable" is bearable but now its kinda annoying. My favourite is "We Believe". It has a smooth sound and quite calm. Overall they have changed to a more matured pop sound but it's still good. // 10

Lyrics: Joel Madden has a good voice and he can take on different genres etc. Pop/rock/punk. I think GC are resting slightly on their laurels and not straining themselves to try out in different areas. Some songs have really meaningful lyrics like "We Believe" and "Mountain". Others are just complaining about their past life which I personally think we've had enough of. They should try to create more involving lyrics rather than whine about their life, but I still think the lyrics are good enough. // 10

Overall Impression: GC certainly beats out Blink 182 and Simple Plan. Simple plan make childish music which I detest. I will certainly recommend this CD to people interested in pop/rock music. It is certainly worth your money rather than buying crap rappers albums or sh*t cheap punk bands. GC make value music and are respectable. If this album was stolen I'd buy 10 more and distribute them to my family members. // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: goodcharlotte, on july 18, 2005

Sound: A new CD and now a new type of music? Sounds like Good Charlotte. The music is different from what they use to play. For example: "I Just Wanna Live" is a mixture of rap and pop. "The Truth" has slow rythm and beat to it that makes it awesome. "The Chronicles Of Life And Death" and "Predictible" have a quick rhythm to it. Lots of guitars, hardcore drums and awesome vocals. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics tell us what they have been going threw in the past what other people have gone threw. Which is why everyone can relate to there songs. Good Charlotte have a nice meaningful lyrics which is why there album is awesome. Benji and Joel are awesome vocalists. There wouldn't be a Good Charlotte without them. // 10

Overall Impression: Good Charlotte's album is alot better than New Found Glory or Simple Plan. Good Charlotte's music makes more sense and it actually has meanings. I recommened you hear "I Just Wanna Live," "We Believe," "The World Is Black," "The Truth." If Still album was ever lost, I would definelty buy the album again. How could I not? // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: mcfly_dude, on july 30, 2005

Sound: In their first 2 albums Good Charlotte had a very distinctive punk and a very 'teenage' sound to their music but as they have grown into their third album their music style seems to have grown with them with a very rocky feel to it. I kind of like their new grown up style but I still think that their talents lie in their roots of punk/pop. I do however like many tracks on the new album including 'Predictable' and 'The Chronicles Of Life And Death' which do still have that element of the old Good Charlotte hidden inside them but I don't think they will ever live up to songs such as 'The Anthem' and 'Lifestyles Of The Rich And The Famous.' This new change in Good Charlotte brings in new songs such as 'The Truth' and 'We Believe' which have more of a rock feel in them and a much maturer sound. // 8

Lyrics: Overall I think the lyrics to most of the songs are fantastic and very cleverly written. With songs written as deep and meaningful as 'Ghost Of You' and 'Predictable' you can not give a bad impression of the lyrics on this album. Joel is a fantastic singer and sings the lyrics with passion and as if they actually mean something to him. It would be better though if someone else in the band would sing a bit more so that it wasn't Joel all of the time. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this album rocks and compares well against many other artists and many other albums. The only album it wouldn't beat would be any of the old Good Charlotte material as I liked their old style slightly better. I love the fact that every song is slightly different and enjoyable in its own certain way. I also love the fact that this album has shown to me that Good Charlotte aren't just a punk band but they can also do other aspects of music and still sound great. If I ever lost this album I would definately be in the nearest shop within seconds to buy a new one but touch wood, that will never happen. // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 17, 2005

Sound: Good Charlotte's latest album, Chronicles, has brought the band to new heights in my opinion. Personally, GC has always been a background band for me. The songs from their last record were nice, and when they came on the radio and sit and listen, but they were nothing spectacular. Since then however, Good Charlotte has grown, musically, by leaps and bounds. No longer limiting themselves to drumming and guitar work has opned a lot of creative doors for the band. Incorporating everything from keyboards to an orchestra, GC's made an album that's not only hard to label, pretty damn good all the same. While some songs are a bit over-the-top (e.g. "We Believe," "The Truth") and a couple seem a bit "throw away" (e.g. "Secrets," "It Wasn't Enough") the album as a whole is absolutely amazing, original, and shows you many sides to the band that had never been seen before. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically, Good Charlotte has always been either great, or terrible. Never really any gray area. This holds true in their third album just as much as their first 2. While some songs have great, unforced sounding lyrics, others seem very uninspired or repetitive (though in songs like these, the instrumentals more than make up for it) However, on a singing basis, Joel, the lead singer, has really grown into his voice and (usually) knows how to use it. My only beef with him is that he doesn't seem to undderstand his vocal range yet. In the 5th track and 2nd single, "I Just Wanna Live," Joel breaks into a falsetto during the chorus, and it just sounds silly. I used to hate the song for this very reason, yet it's very catchy so I still found myself listening to it over and over. Eventually I came to like the song. And presonally, I find the rapping he does through out the song to be one of the best things about it. It's just another example of how the band is innovating. And it works. The bonus track on the album (that starts playing a minute or so after the ending track stops) is a nice little acoustic preformance from Benji, and is good to listen to once in a while. But it's a bit overly whiny for my taste. Although I do like the lyrics "I'm open/and I'm bleedin'/all over your brand new rug/and I need someone to help me sew them up" quite a bit. // 6

Overall Impression: This album blew me away. The intro track does a good job of putting you in the right state of mind to listen to the rest of the CD, which in itself doesn't dissapoint. The "stand out" songs of the album are "Walk Away" and "SOS" which both have a rocking, climactic feel to them, "I Just Wanna Live" which is probably the most original song of it's genre, let alone the band, "Predictable" which has a very Danny Elfman [composer for the Nightmare Before Christmas] feel to it, "The World Is Black" which is a bit mellow on the instrumental aspect, but is powerful lyricalls and has a certain dramatic flare to it, "Mountain" which blends speedy tempos with slower ones to make a very dramatic stand-alone song, and "In This World" has a surprisingly dark tone to it, despite the rest of the album. The exclusive Death version track "Meet My Maker" is also a great song, but because I haven't heard the complete LIFE song ("Falling Away") I'm not one to say which is better. All in all, a fine peice of work. If I lost this album, I'd be at Target, in the CD section in a heart-beat. This is one album that you can pick up, listen to for months before getting sick of it, and then pick it back up again a few weeks later. Go buy it. // 8

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 26, 2005

Sound: I must say, this is a total twist for GC, they completly changed to my ears, but not in a bad way, I would say it sounds great, although the older stuff was cool, so is this. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics really can express themselves huh? I would say the lyrics are great. I say this because they talk about what happened to them, what they wanna do, how everything happened, and stuff about there past. In other words, it has inner meaning, and it surely means something to those going through what they did. I would also like to add good singing skills, it might not be the best and is different than there older albums but it goes with the music and if it goes with the music then thats what I call singing. // 10

Overall Impression: The Chronicles Of Life And Death is comparable to other albums but I would say GC has a style of there own. I would say in my own opinion that the most impressive songs on the album are The Chronicles Of Life And Death, SOS, I Just Wanna Live, and Predictable. The only thing I don't like about this album is the song The Truth. I just don't like the way his voice is but hey that's just one song. Other than that one song its all good. If it were stolen or lost I would probably not by another one, but that's only 'cause I made an extra copy incase, it's an awesome CD. // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: *'-'*, on september 19, 2005

Sound: Previously thrown into the punk category with bands like Blink 182. Good Charlotte were known for their simplistic and seemingly repetitive tracks. In The Chronicles Of Life And Death, they have talen a huge step out of the punk pile, and I feel it is a step in the right direction. They have in no way ceased to use the powerchords that got them to where they are, but they have introduced numerous new sounds to their music. These include string ensambles, synthesisers and piano. They have also taken the step to experimenting with both acoustic and electric guitars. Track 4, SOS, I feel really displays there talent it uses both acoustic and electric guitars, and has a cracking solo. Their sound has definatly improved since the early days. // 8

Lyrics: The Chronicles of Life and Death really displays Joel Maddens song-writing skills. The lyrics are no longer about Girls not linking boys, they are now an intelligent representation of the band. The vocal skills are not the best, but is still easy to listen to (Slipknot take note). Songs like Ghost of You and The Truth have very intelligent lyrics, using a slow sad voice. While SOS and The World Is Black keep the music happy, but you still feel yourself feeling for the party in question. Definately the most talented album lyric wise I have seen for a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: COLAD is much better than the first album, and about equal with Young and The Hopeless. It also displays Good Charlottes superiority over Blink 182, etc. Songs to check out are SOS and The World is Black, Songs to avoid (theyre actually not that bad) are The Truth and We Believe. If this CD was lost I would definately by it again. I would give it a 4.5, but 4 will do. // 8

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: Kutless, on september 28, 2005

Sound: Before I begin this review I want to say that I used to be a hardcore Good Charlotte fan, so I am educated about their sound. The music on this album was absolutely terrible. Pop-punk isn't exactly known for its awesome instrumentation. All the guitar riffs and bass riffs are simple. I'm sorry, I just can't handle it. The music is sounding poppier then ever. Overall, the music is a mixture of pop and emo. It's not really my thing. // 1

Lyrics: I have to say, the lyrics are a little better on this album then on previous ones. But, the whiny lyrics are still there. The vocals just aren't my thing. The nassaly, whiny vocals make me want to scream. There is just nothing on this album lyrically or vocally that's stands out from any other pop-punk band. // 2

Overall Impression: I really don't like this album. I bought it and then threw it out of my car window. There isn't a song on this album I like. I really think it's time for pop-punk to die. It's getting old and monotonous. // 2

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: zoltan256, on november 07, 2005

Sound: I hear some people saying things like, "Good Charlotte has tried something new this time" but I have to say that there isn't much of a difference here. However I sorta like Good Charlotte the way it is and this album is good enough for me. The problem is that some of the songs sound similar, and get boring sometimes. Also the intro in The Young And The Hopeless album was pretty much pointless and sounded stupid, they still continued to make an intro. The Chronicles of Life and Death's intro song got even more creepier than before, with the Japanese singing part and stuff so that's a minus (since I'm Japanese and I know what they were singing about, it was irritating. The people singing Japanese had a weird accent compared to native japanese guys). Still, it was a good album and is worth buying. // 6

Lyrics: The singer has a unique, nice voice and I really like it. I wouldn't want to hear any screaming from this guy, though. The lyrics aren't spectacular, but not so horrible. There are a lot of lyrics that are worse. At least they don't endlessly swear and talk about blow jobs, oral sex, and swear constantly. // 7

Overall Impression: I bought this and Simple Plan's album together, and I have to say it sounds alike, but that doesn't mean it's not a good album. The Chronicles Of Life And Death (the song) was really good, and there were a lot of other songs I liked. Good Charlotte stopped saying "yeah," "uh," "come on" so much and that was a good improvement too. I don't really care about bands overusing power chords, and I don't really care. If it wasn't for the intro I would give it a better score, but it would've given me a better impression if they just started with Chronicles Of Life And Death or made a better intro song. If it were stolen/lost, I would probably buy it again, because it is a nice album. // 7

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: irockonguitar, on february 23, 2006

Sound: These are one of my most favarote bands ever! I bought this album when it first came out and I love Good Charlotte's music. From the guitaring to the vocals, everything about this album is great. Good Charlotte are a pop-punk band and by far the best one. I love this album that much I could sleep with it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great bacause thay are not all the same, the only thing wrong is Joel Madden (vacals) always sounds the same (I thought I'd add my mates opinion) but it doesn't realy bother me. Joel Madden has very good skills and I would love him in my band. // 10

Overall Impression: Their sound is like no other and I dont own an album that has the same style to it. My favaroute song is Predictable, and then The Chronicles Of Life And Death. I love everythin about this album and I would recomend it to fans of: Green day, Simple Plan and bands like that. If I broke this album I would buy it again no problem. Well that's the end of my review, hope you've liked it and I've been listning to the album whilst wrighting it. // 10

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: fedeforever, on april 08, 2006

Sound: This is Good Charlotte's latest album. This time they tune down the punk-pop sound for a more dark-pop one. But don't worry you'll still find pop-punk tracks and you will also find some pop-punk tracks that are so dark 'Predictable' that even a HIM fan would love. The sound is a combination of punk-pop riffs, synth-pop choruses and funk-rock beats so don't expect the ussual punk-pop blasts they used to to serve you years ago. // 8

Lyrics: The rylics are better from their previous efforts. Darker and more realistic. Songs like 'Predictable' and 'I Just Wanna Live' show that this boys have grown up and don't waste their time about girls and boys like they used to do. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great album for fans of heavy pop music, but if you expect teenage punk like their older staff you should check Canadian punk poppers Simple Plan or post-hardcore/emo-pop megastars Hawthorne Heights. // 8

Chronicles Of Life And Death Reviewed by: stjimmy1810, on september 13, 2007

Sound: Compared to their other albums, 'The Chronicles Of Life And Death' has a cleaner tone to it, with less distortion on the guitar. however, their music style is still the same and can be easily be recognized as Good Charlotte. This is their third album after The Young and The Hopeless. A possible bad point about the album is that the songs tend to get boring after a while. the only songs from the whole album that deserves some credit 'I Just Wanna Live' and 'Predictable.' For the rest of the songs, they are just like any other songs out there, although they are all quite great. This album is not recommended for those who are looking for some Kick and excitement but more for any Good Charlotte fans. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrics are pretty normal, mostly based on the album's title, ' The Chronicles Of Life And Death ', which is also the 2nd track on the album. To be frank, the singer is not that great. What makes their music nice might be that his voice is unique and different from normal singers, but not that unique. The backing vocal is also unique in it's own way, and being Joel's twin brother, he and Joel are able to harmonies together quite well. However, in al, it's still a very normal album. Nothing too special about it. // 7

Overall Impression: As compared to other artists, it is just like any of the others. It has a couple of good songs in it, like 'I Just Wanna Live', 'Predictable', and 'The Chronicles Of Life And Death'. Other then these few songs, the rest of the songs in the album are wuite normal, again to say, nothing too special about it. It is then cleaner side of the band, with less distortion in the guitar and is totally different from their previous albums. If it was lost or stolen, I would consider buying it again, because I quite like Good Charlotte. // 8

More Good Charlotte reviews rating latest review