Good Charlotte Review

Lyrics: 7.4
 7.5
 8.5
Good Charlotte Reviewed by: GCriotgirl25, on may 11, 2004

Sound: The music is rock. Not hard but rock that kicks ass. All songs have 2 guitar parts and heavy bass (sweet!). The drums are wild. Waldorf Worldwide has a reggae sorta thing going on, but it's all good. // 8

Lyrics: The lyric's are words that all people (teens in particular) can relate to in some aspect of their life. Some songs are about how high school bites (which it honestly does for some, others are about break-ups and gettong over it, and others are about family problems. Benji and Joel's voices harmonize perfectly together. // 10

Overall Impression: This album kicks ass but GC shows how much they've improved in their second album. I think they have a sound all to themselves. I love the catchy beats and words (they can really get you through a boring science class) and I don't hate anything about this album. I'd recommend to rock fans and new Gc fans get this old album of theirs and I got two of them myself, 1 for in my room and 1 for anywhere else. gc kix ass! // 10

Good Charlotte Reviewed by: Ratiug318, on november 28, 2003

Sound: Good Charlotte starts the beginning to the campaign to rid the world of worthwhile, good music with their first, self-titled album. Benji shows his great guitar skills here, with mindlessly repetative eight note power chords. // 2

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are just terrible. There is no meaning, no point to any of them. It's just a bunch of "Waaa, my girlfriend broke up with me ten years ago and I'm still not over it" and "Waaa, my daddy's an asshole" and "Waaa, my life sucks. Woe is me". Personally I don't give a damn how much their life sucks. I want them to lead sucky lives, because they are ruining the world of rock with their crappy music. // 2

Overall Impression: I can't believe I actually used to listen to this crap. Now that my eyes have been opened I have seen that this album is a waste of money and a total POS. I gave it to some kids at school and they broke it for me. Thank you, everybody who helped me destroy this CD. If you are into power chord driven music, don't listen to this mess. Listen to Nirvana, the gods of power chords. // 2

Good Charlotte Reviewed by: Thatkidnick, on december 19, 2008

Sound: The Young and the Hopeless is GC's 2nd album, and in my opinion was their best album made. GC definately found what style of music suits them with this CD. The reach a new kind of modern/punk rock. This CD will get you excited from the first track. It begins with "A New Beginning," which is a pure instrumental which starts of sound with sound sound effects and then blasts off with an up tempo beat of straight out guitar chords. It definately was a pretty good way to start off the album. Then it goes into personally my favorite song on the album, "The Anthem." This song features one of the few guitar solos you will actually hear GC play. It's very up-beat and will definately get you jumping. It then goes into another hit, "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous," another great up-beat song with some nice drumming. The next song is "Wondering," which is good. It then goes into probably the fast song on the album, "The Story of my Old Man," which relates directly to Joel Madden and Benji Madden's choldhood. The next song is more of a kids hit with "Boys and Girls." Then you have a classic love murder sotry with "My Bloody Valentine." "Hold On" is a very strong song. So is Riot Girl. My one knock on the album is "Say Anything." I really never got this song. The next song is sang by Benji. Then it goes into the title of the album, "The Young and the Hopeless," which was probably their biggest hit. The album then concludes with a song that fits the last track, "Movin' On." // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album mix around from life lessons to past experiences experienced by Benji and Joel. "The Anthem" refers to some high school experiences by Benji and Joel and some college experieces. "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" is a true song that basically says how all these rich and famous stars always find something to complain about. "Wondering" is actually written about their dog, Cashdog. "The Story of my Old Man" was written about Benji and Joel's dad, who left them as kids. "Boys and Girls" tries to explain boys personalities and girl personalities, but really this song would appeal to more of a kid population. "My Bloody Valentine" tells a story of a love murder. "Hold On" deals with suicide and telling kids to go find help and to Hold On. "Riot Girl" talks about your rebal teenage girl. "Say Anything" really just doesn't fit the album. "The Day That I Die" is self-explainitory, as is "The Young and Hopeless." "Emotionaless" talks about Benji and Joel's dad and is a pertty emotional song. "Movin' On" is self explainitory. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to GC's first album, this is a big improvement. This made them a very familar name in the music business. The best songs are definately "The Anthem," "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous," and "The Young and Hopeless." I love the sound of this album, but really don't like some of the pointless song lyrics, like in "Wondering, Boys and Girls, and Say Anything." I would efinately buy this album again though because it is a great album. // 8

Good Charlotte Reviewed by: afirocker00, on june 21, 2004

Sound: The sound is really unique. Some songs hint on ska. They mostly stay in the punk sound on this cd. The guitar sounds really good on this cd. Think of this cd as Rancid's slow songs. Pretty good sound all together, nothing poppy like their second album. Benji and Joel have really nice voices and they sing not scream like a lot of other bands do out there nowdays! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really unique. They are actually pretty deep unlike the second album. Pretend that album doesn't exist and it'll be alot better. Put aside everything you heard about GC and just buy it, download it, something, I mean come on. This cd rocks! A couple songs on this cd deserve to be in the songwriting hall of fame. A lot of kids can really relate to this music and it means something to us. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album. If I somehow misplaced it I would get it again somehow. It is very much worth buying if you want something refreshing from the very repetitive "oi oi oi!" Nothing wrong with true punk rock but sometimes you want to hear something else. You know what I don't need an excuse this album is really good and I don't care what you think. If you're closeminded and don't give it a shot then thats your loss. Standout songs: Little Things, Festival Song, East coast anthem, Waldorf worldwide, as you know what, I can listen to this whole cd straight, you do that too, no need to skip songs! // 10

Good Charlotte Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2004

Sound: They have a really great sound. Many have compared them to Blink 182 and the like, but I believe they have a sound all their own. They experiment with rock, punk, and great acoustical ballads, and I don't think that alot of bands today could pull of what they can. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics can be weak in some spots and somewhat predictable, but the singer has a great voice that just makes that alright. On tracks like "Screamer", they have very unique and thought-provoking lyrics. They also speak alot of doing what they want with their lives and overcoming barriers that not alot of other people could deal with. So I give them respect as artists. // 8

Overall Impression: Alot of songs stand out on this album, so it's hard to choose favorites. Their sound varies from the upbeat "Little Things", "Don't Wanna Stop", and "Festival Song" to great mid-tempo material, such as "Complicated" and "The Motivation Proclaimation" to amazing ballads like "Change", "Screamer", and "Seasons". This has to be one of the most influential bands of this decade. Thier music has touched so many people and they are truly inspirations. // 10

Good Charlotte Reviewed by: DisgruntledDuck, on october 27, 2004

Sound: "Sigh" Yet another forum in a Good Charlotte related war of words, it's become a farse that one band could make so many people so cranky. I suppose like marmite, you either love them or hate them. But let us rewind 4 years ago, before Good Charlotte had a clothing brand, before they lived a lavish lifestyle and before they released a third, more serious, and frankly terrible album (is it me or do they follow Blink 182?) The year 2000 - a promising punk-pop band heralding from Waldorf Maryland released a self titled debut album. On this album, lots of the guitar is samey-default punk-pop guitar chord progressions are the order of the day. However, something on this album still makes the punk-pop genre seem fresh and new. They seem to play with enthusiasm, and the relentlessly upbeat music and vocals make this album very accessable to a wide audience. "The Little Things" is the first song the audience gets to hear, and is a good start. The music has attitude, and grabs the audidence's intrest. However-Benji and Joel come in with a ridiculous spoken dedication speech, which sounds like is should be on a rap album. There is a good variation of acoustic and electric guitar sounds on this album, often with acoustic verses and loud, sing a long choruses. For me, the stand-out track is East Coast Anthem, because it sounds original and differs from their general sound, yet still manages to be catchy. // 6

Lyrics: Joel and Benji Madden-twins who could probably pass for Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen-sing the vocals. Joel is a capable singer, although his voice can become annoying. Likewise, Benji (rhythm guitar and backing vocals) adds texture to the lyrics by adding some pretty sounding backing vocals, these also can get irritating, but there is something likeable in their style. The main topics covered in this album are Benji and Joel's up-bringing (their dad's lack of presence mentioned frequently) "You're living all alone, because you left us all at home", being grateful for what they now have ("giving thanks to the lord, I pray everyday") and being losers as teens-The Little Things talking about how hard school was for them ("like the time in school when we got free lunch, and the cool kids beat us up") bless their little hearts. The lyrics arent too insightful, not many deep topics are covered and the rhyme schemes aren't unique either. The lyrics come across as being simple and maybe better words or phrases could have been used. However, the lyrics didn't need to be too brilliant, for they had plenty of time to mature and prefect their craft. The one major gripe I have with Benji and Joel's vocals, is the amount of influence from rap music. On the one hand, they were trying to be original. However, rap doesnt belong with punk-pop, and inane dedications, reptetition of the words "yo", "c'mon", "yeah" etc etc make Good Charlotte appear to be more ammatuer than perhaps they are. // 6

Overall Impression: OK, considering that this was a debut album, it showed a lot of promise. It wasn't as talented as Green Day's Dookie, and Blink 182's Enema Of The State manages to out-strip Good Charlotte in the happy punk-pop market, however, this debut showed promise. Not nessacarily by the content on the album, but because at the time Good Charlotte seemed like a genuine band, interested in playing for the song and making good music. They played with enthusiasm, and had something about them which made them stand out. I don't need to say this-but I will: I am not a Good Charlotte fan. However, I belive that people should cut them a bit of slack. They are just a band trying to get by, and I belive that too much criticism is heaped upon them. If you don't like them, fair enough, nobody forces you to listen to them, so stop wasting space on forums whining about them, listen to what you like, and respect people for what they like. As I'm writing this review, I can't help but feel a pang of sadness. GC had potential to be a good band, but after their most recent efforts, it seems to me like yet another punk-pop band have sold themselves short, and will eventually get lost in a crowded market full of latest trends and money. // 6

Good Charlotte Reviewed by: stjimmy1810, on september 05, 2007

Sound: This album, the first ever from Good Charlotte, is probably the only album from them that has more punk rock to it than the other 3 albums. It is hard to believe that this band started when two twin brothers from Waldof, Maryland, decided to start their very own band, even though they had never sung nor played any musical instrument before. Although this album, when released, was not a huge commercial success, it is still and very nice album in itself. Recommended for anyone appreciates a gentler kind of punk rock from the usual hard core punk rock. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrics for the song are quite simple, typical for any teenager. Examples like the song Motivation Proclamation, which is about your life being boring, having to do the same thing everyday and needing some motivation to to get you out off your bed and going. Songs like Festival Song, talks about having al ot of responsibility and just not caring about them for that one night. Not wanting anyone to tell you how to live your life. As for the singer's skills, I must say that they are not that impressive. He may not be much of a singer but, he has such a unique voice that it doesn't not matter anymore. Same goes for the backing vocals. // 8

Overall Impression: However, this album, compared to others, is quite like the rest. There is nothing really special about it but it I still a nice album to listen to. The most impressive songs will be the first 5 songs of the album, Little Things, Waldofworldwide, Motivation Proclamation, East Coast Anthem and Festival Song. If this album was either lost or stolen, I would consider buying it back again. // 8

More Good Charlotte reviews rating latest review